The Diesel Stop banner

Early 99 - Beans D66 Turbo to GT38R

22K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  mythreesons 
#1 ·
I have an early 99 truck modded up pretty good with 200/30% injectors. On the original build i put the D66 to save money on the late 99 turbo upgrade. I saved up and updated to the late 99 set up and put a GT38R. The Beans Dominator 66 is a great turbo but is no comparison to the 38R. I was very impressed with the D66, but the 38R blows my mind.

My suggestion to guys with E99 that want bigger sticks is to save up and do the late 99 turbo upgrade. I saved a butt load of money by finding a used pedestal and intake spyder. I found mine from a company called Texascore. I found them on ebay, but dealt with them directly.

For you guys that want stock injectors, the Beans Dominator 66 is a perfect turbo upgrade.

#2 ·
That's good to know. I've been wondering which direction I want to go with my early 99. I've heard the D66 is a great turbo.

I'm thinking that someday, I'll upgrade in injectors. I still want fuel economy, low noise, and drivability as number one. From what you said, I should convert to a 99.5.

What kind of power increase did you notice going to the D66? And what about with the other turbo's you tried? How is spool up? Are you going for sled pulling or every day driver?

Thanks for the info,
Steve

#3 · (Edited)
If your wanting the best mpg's and up to 450HP stage 2's. Hybrids IMO only make since for over 450HP. Paying for Hybrids with small nozzles that can't flow the fuel is crazy.

You can get a bolt on D66 for any 7.3 no need to switch out anything.

IMO H2e std or modded both are quite.. best choice for use with larger than stock inj's

38r is throw-a-way turbo and very loud!..best at stock inj's were its map performs best.

#4 ·
caryt... why do you say the 38r is a throw away turbo and best for stock injectors?.. there not suitable for upgraded injectors??

Ive been reading up on the d66 (what i cant find).. and all i found is that its basically a stock turbo with different housings and wheel.. and still the journal bearings??

doesnt the 38r flow more?

#5 ·
The D66 provided tremendous power, however, I modded everything at once. My comparison is more apples to oranges. The D66 is harder to spool up while pulling a trailer, but spools like a lightning rod while hot rodding around. The 38R is a noisy turbo, unique and fun sounding, but is spooled up at all times. The 38R is ready to go before you gas it up while the D66 jumps on command. The D66 has no boost at idle while the 38R has 3 psi at idle. I have not pulled a trailer yet with the 38R but I anticipate it will far exceed my expectations. With my larger than stock injectors i did experience EGT problems and heavy smoke while pulling heavy loads. If was able to hammer down at the bottom of a hill and spool the D66 I could fly up any hill with no EGT problems. If I got bogged down or did not spool the D66 hard enough i would have to either slow down and hit 2nd or switch to stock tuning. I anticipate the 38R will be more driver friendly while pulling heavy, 14K and above. So far with just daily driving I have experienced significantly less smoke around town. My truck is a daily driver, delivery truck, and occasionally pulls heavy on the weekends. 255,000 miles and runs like a raped ape!

#6 ·
So the gt38r is a great Turbo, just requires the early guys to upgrade to late 99. I definitely like the quick spool up.

How much did it end up costing you to do the conversion?

#7 ·
To rebuild a 38r costs as much as a new one+- so its a throw a way turbo. back pressure is lower than stock with stock Inj's..goes up with larger inj's.

D66 for a SD will out flow a stock H2e, yes it still has stock bearings but is rebuildable if needed and a great turbo for stage 1's, IMO stage 2's and larger get a modded H2e and never regret it

#8 ·
I found the used pedestal and intake spyder for less than $100. Shop around, hunt craigslist, ebay or junk yards and that alone will save you $900. A new intake spyder is over $500 and a the pedestal with EBV is around $500. You could always buy a non-EBV pedestal for $120. You will also need the 3 inch plenums which are cheap, forgot price because i bought those on original build. You will also need intake spyder to plenum boots which is $30 online. You will also need the turbo outlet to intake spyder v-band clamp. I think it is a 3.5" v-band. I went to ford to get mine because i expected that to come with the intake spyder and wanted to finish the project on a friday night. Dieselsite.com has the kit you need. Buying the kit is the easiest thing to do. I use the EBV as my exhaust brake which is why i shopped for a used pedestal.

I would have gone with the modded H2E, which is about the same price all said and done, maybe cheaper. I chose the GT38R because i live in California where i will be smogging my truck in 2012 and need my truck to look as stock as possible. I am extremely happy with the GT38R but would love to take a truck with H2E for a spin. I don't hot rod my truck to see how much boost i can achieve, so i expect my turbo to last a long time.

#9 ·
escs36; Would you be interested in selling your D66 ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.