Early 99 ECM Swap Results - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-18-2011, 03:01 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Early 99 ECM Swap Results

Ok I have asked a few questions about problems over the last few months and received some great help. So I wanted to do my part to give back a little.

Anyone with a early 99 that hasn't swapped the ECM is missing out. I swapped out my XLE4 for a PMT3 and it's night and day difference. I can't believe it's the same truck. The old XLE4 always ran like a dog, the shifting was never right and it always felt like it was behind the power curve. Not anymore. The PMT3 is amazing it shifts very smooth and my seat of my pants dyno feels like it has more power. Not sure if that's because it is running in the power band now or it really does have more power. I did read on another board that later ECM dyno with more power. Not sure if that's true, maybe someone can confirm that. Last thing it's quieter too and the cruise control light works.

It's the best 100 bucks I have ever spent on my truck so far. Next is a DP Tuner and I'm good.
Early 1999 F-350 Lariat CC LB SWB 4x4, Upgraded PCM, DP Chip 60T 80E Decel, Ford AIS, Turbomaster, Boost, EGT, Trans Temp Guages, Hutch and Harpoon Mod, Delphi CPS, Prodigy P3 Brake Controller, 9K Fifth Wheel, 175k
bennetbr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-18-2011, 08:56 AM   #2 (permalink)

wonder if there would be any advantages after a chip ? just picked up a e99 and it is a dog !
Old 01-18-2011, 09:54 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (19)
I'm curious why you spent the $100 on a new pcm when Jody will do the same thing but for your old PCM. His changes will negate any and all benefit you got from swapping PCMs. And as far as that goes, for $100 you could have sent Jody that old PCM and he would have put a nice 80hp tune in it. Yeah, 80hp more for same you spent. I'm sorry, just trying to figure out your logic here.

DP-Tuner 80T, 160cc single shots, GTP38R turbo, Ceramic coated IH up-pipes, coolant filter, 6637, DIY exhaust brake, openair CCV, propane, SBC DD all ceramic clutch, ISSPRO EV boost/pyro/HPOP pres./rear end temp, 4" lift, traction bars, 255/70R22.5 tires, York air compressor, 16 flashy lights, 12 strobes, 12 switches on console, 9 switches on the dash, 7 two-way radios, 5 air horns, laptop, siren, 105 gal. in-bed fuel tank, Kennesaw Mountain front bumper

'86 H-D Sportster - 16" apes, custom paint, custom pipes to fishtails, single fire ignition, leather saddle bags on custom brackets, bagger fender, solo seat, home made luggage rack, all LED rear lights

'66 Bronco "Big Little Monster"
BTBBT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2011, 10:21 AM   #4 (permalink)

That's what I thought too. But he can't flash a XLE4 ECM into a PMT family. While its true that Jody can tune a E99 ECM. He can't get the CC light working. And if I want to run run the truck stock I can. I was going to have him tune my old ECM, but it wasn't worth it.
Early 1999 F-350 Lariat CC LB SWB 4x4, Upgraded PCM, DP Chip 60T 80E Decel, Ford AIS, Turbomaster, Boost, EGT, Trans Temp Guages, Hutch and Harpoon Mod, Delphi CPS, Prodigy P3 Brake Controller, 9K Fifth Wheel, 175k
Old 01-18-2011, 01:33 PM   #5 (permalink)

where did you get the ECM and where is it located on the truck. I read on here and on powerstrokehelp that swapping the IDM to a late model 00 and newer will make a difference in performance as well, so making both changes could help performance and driveability. I always thought my E99, like yours, was a slug for what its purported to be. Always wondered how the auto transporters are carrying 3 cars cross country, don't see it happening with mine.
tinkerr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2011, 03:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinkerr View Post
where did you get the ECM and where is it located on the truck. I read on here and on powerstrokehelp that swapping the IDM to a late model 00 and newer will make a difference in performance as well, so making both changes could help performance and driveability. I always thought my E99, like yours, was a slug for what its purported to be. Always wondered how the auto transporters are carrying 3 cars cross country, don't see it happening with mine.
The Ian swap is more for reliability. You can modify the existing one to increase the voltage.

Swap the Ecm and you might have a different opinion of your truck. I was skeptical, but now its one of those mods I wonder why I waited so long.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

DAC3 for 6 spd.

Sorry I am not trying to highjack your thread but I can see were an upgraded PCM would help for an automatic tranny(shift's etc) but is there any benefits for a manual tranny ??? I know everyone says the PMT1 etc. is the one for Auto's and the DAC3 for the manuals. What kind of benefits would a 6spd. owner see going from a AWA3 PCM to an DUC3 ?? Thanks!
Early 99 F250 XLT, 6 spd, Luk Clutch-Kevlar bushing, 4" MBRP Exhaust, Turbo Master Wastegate Controller, ITP Overboost Annihilator, KCM S.S. HPX Line, DiPricol Optix Gauges, DP Tuner F5 Chip with 60T,80E,100 Perf, Superchips 1805 Flashpaq (used for code reading only), Firestone Airbags, 203 degree t'stat, AIS/w fender sleeve, CCV Mod, Hutch In Tank Mod, Harpoon Mod, 6.0 Intercooler, 315/75/16 on 16X10 Eagle Wheels, Ford 08 and above rear differential cover, Royal Purple Gear lube, 2007 Grille and Headlight Mod.
mythreesons is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-18-2011, 04:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to mwe-maxxowner
Mythreesons, you should just get it chipped! Dac3 was the pcm code on my pcm. Got a chip and it's a rocket! He could also, as stated earlier, burn a tune onto your pcm for cheaper, but I like all of my tunes and couldn't pick just one.

99 F250 7.3(engine stamped june of '99) 250K white ex cab lb, 2wd
jl audio slash 4ch amp, jl 8" sub, focal components front, infinity coax rear, 10 disc changer

-tymar intake, no muff
-bullydog egt, autometer boost
-f5 chip w/80t, 80e, 60t, 100, 140 extreme(140 is amazing!)
Garrett 38r
Chrome fender trim, 265 nitto terra graps, nerf bars, billet grille, '06 headlights, chrome door handles, louvered 5er tailgate
mwe-maxxowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-19-2011, 10:32 AM   #9 (permalink)

I wasn't aware you could modify the IDM to the higher voltage. Where would I go to find the procedure? thanks
Old 01-22-2011, 01:14 AM   #10 (permalink)

Search for IDM resistor modification. It should come up with some posts.
Old 01-22-2011, 04:48 PM   #11 (permalink)

bennetbr,

were you able to just plug in your PMT3 and go. did you need a specific PCM? I don't want to buy a used one to find later it wont work. thanks
Old 01-22-2011, 11:34 PM   #12 (permalink)

Just go find a one of these:
2001 PMT1 1C3F-ZB
2001 PMT2 1C3F-ZC
2001 PMT3 1C3F-ZD

Remove the old PCM plug from the engine compartment, it has a bolt in the middle of the plug. Slide it out from the cab side of the firewall, plug the new one in and go. It's about as simple as it gets. You will get error codes for the air intake heater, but they won't affect anything. Save your old PCM, you will need it to do a cylinder contribution test. Some scanners won't do a test if any codes are present.

Seriously switching the PCM is the best 100 bucks I have spent. It has made the truck fun to drive, the XLE4 power and shifting is about a horrible as it gets. You don't really notice until you switch it out.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:04 PM   #13 (permalink)

I am going to look for one for my early 99 now, i was towing a trailer the other day going wow this thing is a turd i cant believe that people say they are so good haha...

where would i be able to find a new pcm?

is the PMT3 the best one to have?

any mileage increase? (if thats not a stupid question haha just hoping)

and do i forsure have the XLE4 if i have an early 99?

THANKS A LOT! This is just what i was looking for!!

Jordan72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2011, 09:23 AM   #14 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to mwe-maxxowner
Can someone clarify to me why you would want to do this? I'm still not understanding. You're still just running a stock calibration, albeit a better one, which is not gonna compare at all to any aftermarket tune, which can be had for 80 bucks if you just wanna have a pcm flash done.

99 F250 7.3(engine stamped june of '99) 250K white ex cab lb, 2wd
jl audio slash 4ch amp, jl 8" sub, focal components front, infinity coax rear, 10 disc changer

-tymar intake, no muff
-bullydog egt, autometer boost
-f5 chip w/80t, 80e, 60t, 100, 140 extreme(140 is amazing!)
Garrett 38r
Chrome fender trim, 265 nitto terra graps, nerf bars, billet grille, '06 headlights, chrome door handles, louvered 5er tailgate
mwe-maxxowner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2011, 10:43 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner View Post
Can someone clarify to me why you would want to do this? I'm still not understanding. You're still just running a stock calibration, albeit a better one, which is not gonna compare at all to any aftermarket tune, which can be had for 80 bucks if you just wanna have a pcm flash done.
Its not clear because it doesn't make sense. If the ecu swap is much cheaper than a custom tune then it makes a bit of sense.
Quote:
But he can't flash a XLE4 ECM into a PMT family.
I suspect there is no need to do this. Chances are that all of the same parameters exist in both ecus and you would just need to change the values. I have reflashed tons of gas vehicles for engine swaps using their stock ecu. You can't always do it, like a stock v6 computer wont work for a v8 (most of the time). Sometimes they change the wiring between years so always double check that or you may fry something.
jgorm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.