eaton e-lockers - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2010, 08:40 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
eaton e-lockers

i was told about these e-lockers and i wanted to order them for my 02 f250 super duty which has limited slip front and back. i saw that summit racing sells them but i dont know what spline my axles have also what does it mean by a 9 inch rear?. summit sells the lockers but do i need to replace anything else or does the lockers that summit sells all i need to have these lockers installed/

any information is greatly appreciated?

website i found that sells them
Eaton Detroit Lockers - SummitRacing.com

thanks nick

02 f250 sd auto tranny 4x4 4" straight pipe and 33" tires
nickx81 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-01-2010, 10:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

The 9 inch is an axle. I beleive the 250's like yours have a Sterling 10.5 inch axle(?) which is 35 spline. The locker should replace the entire carrier so all you need is the locker and new gear oil/silicone for a new gasket. I assume the wiring comes with the locker.
Old 09-02-2010, 09:24 AM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)
"02 f250 sd auto tranny 4x4 "

Your rear axle is a Ford axle with a 10.5" ring gear and 35 splines on the hub end. The Ford axles are sometimes called "Sterling" axles because they are assembled in the Ford axle plant located in Sterling, MI. Right now, Visteon is running that plant, so Ford calls those axles Visteon axles, but they are the same old Ford-design axles that the Sterling plant has been producing for 20 years or more.

Your front axle on a 2002 4x4 could be either a Dana 50 or a Dana 60. (Ford changed from the Dana 50 to the Dana 60 during the model year.) Both have 30 splines on the hub end. The Dana 50 has a 9" ring gear and the Dana 60 has a 9.75" ring gear, so it makes a big difference which locker you buy. So you need to figure out for sure whether you have a Dana 50 or Dana 60 on the front end. No, I don't know how to tell by looking, but others do.

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.

Last edited by SmokeyWren; 09-02-2010 at 09:29 AM.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-15-2010, 01:54 PM   #4 (permalink)

You need bearings and shims to go on the new carrier (locker). There will be some set up required, this is not a simple bolt in deal.

If you have to ask what all is needed I would suggest taking the truck to a reputable shop specializing in gear and axle work. You will need a press, dial indicator, calipers, torque wrench, etc.

I would recommend the auburn electric locker for the rear end and the eaton e-locker for the front.

In my F150 I run the e-locker in front and a detroit in back. I would have liked to have had the auburn in the rear but they did not make them for the F150.

But as the others stated you have the 10.5 r and D50 or D60 f
Duckboat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2011, 04:22 AM   #5 (permalink)

Duckboat,
Could you elaborate on why you would have liked the Auburn in the rear instead of the DL? I'm trying to decide what setup to do in my truck.
Thanks.
ThePawnbroker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2011, 09:50 AM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)
Yea Im interested too.
DP 80econ -Stuck there for now because someone stole my SCT box
2 Optima Red Tops
Auto Meter Boost and Pyro Gauges
8,200lbs---Cat Scale---Thats me and and 38 Gallons of Diesel

1987 Mustang GT Cobra Clone- crate motor, cage and more suspension than I know what to do with
Loves to run down Vettes and Vipers on the road course

34 Ft Kaufman Solid Deck 2-Car Hauler
TonkaThunder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2011, 09:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Might I add another choice to the mix? I prefer ARB air lockers to any of the above choices. E-Lockers have been known to break small parts in jeep applications when pushed and then not have any support from the mfgr. This was a point brought up in a thread on jeepforum.com.
A full Detriot, while bulletproof, is a PITA on the road in normal conditions and I guarantee you will be more than exciting to drive in icy/snowy conditions. I have personal experience with driving my fathers truck for a week as his has a full Detriot in the rear and a Tru-Trac in the front. Every corner you accelerate out of, even gently, results in squealing tires. He has considered swapping it out for this reason.
The ARB is a known, reliable and extremely tough unit that when unlocked functions as an open diff. When locked, it is fully locked and functions like a spool. The point being is that YOU decide when you want a locked diff by pushing a switch.
I would go one of two ways...either ARBs if I needed that kind of traction or Detriot TRU-TRAC limited slips which are completely street friendly but work exceptionally well in tow rigs or mild trail trucks.
2001 F-350 CC 4x4 XLT PSD.,Pro Comp 6.5 suspension, 325/65/18 Nitto Terra Grapplers,18x10 Ultra Chrome Predator 8s, Trenz Grill,AMP Research Power Steps,X-Monitor,BD Pressure-Loc,SCMT,4 in MBRP Stainless exhaust,Tru-Cool Max,AFE Magnum Intake,Wicked Wheel,BRPV,203* stat,Western Diesel Turbo BrakeIII,Sonnax/Tri-springs,1400watt Pioneer/Polk Audio/Fosgate stereo, pre-pump & tank mods,ORU diff covers,acetoned badges,zoodad mod,heater core bypass,Friends of Oceano Dunes supporter, American Sand Association supporter. KEEP THE DUNES OPEN!!!!!
98 Jeep TJ, 5.7 HEMI/545RFE, RE 4.5 LA,35in MTRs,JB Conv.231JHD,G2 D44, HP 30,ARBs,4.10s, Gen Right Alum. fenders, Premier Power Welder, Warn 9.5 CTi, LoD bumpers,LED lights.
sduncan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2011, 09:14 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThePawnbroker View Post
Duckboat,
Could you elaborate on why you would have liked the Auburn in the rear instead of the DL? I'm trying to decide what setup to do in my truck.
Thanks.

While the Detroit is more street friendly than I thought it was going to be I think the Auburn would be more street friendly. I do not have a problem in icy conditions with the detroit but when towing a heavy trailer (sometimes empty also) when making a turn like pulling away from a stop sign it will lock in. The Auburn would slip better allowing the turn without scratching the tires.

I don't like the ARB because it is open normally, and I like my rear to be pulling both tires automatically for those times when you do not have time to stop push buttons let it engage then go. The auburn would be limited slip and would pull most of the time then when you get in something bad you can lock it in tight. Also even though I have onboard air on my truck I did not want to hassle with the air fittings and lines leaking on the ARB.

I have had the Detroit rear/eaton front in for 76,000 miles. Zero problems with either. This is in my F150, my Superduty is stock LS rear since I don't offroad it as much as the F150.
Duckboat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.