Engine Brake not recommended for 7.3L ??? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2008, 03:13 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Engine Brake not recommended for 7.3L ???

I have been looking into the DIY exhaust brake and came across the info below from Jacobs Vehicle System (Jake Brake manufacturer) about putting a butterfly type brake on the 7.3L. Now I'm confused. I know Jacobs is a reputable company and they work directily with Navistar, but don't other reputable manufacturers of engine brakes (banks, pac, bd...) work with Navistar as well?

Here is the site: Jacobs Vehicle Systems - Frequently Asked Questions

FAQ4:

Do you make a product for the Ford 7.3L Powerstroke or Navistar International T444E engines?

ANSWER:

No, Jacobs does not offer an exhaust or engine brake for these engines in fact, Navistar and Ford have requested that we do not develop one for these engines.
The primary concern with putting a retarder on these engines is their use of hydraulic lifters. Most engines with hydraulic lifters have fairly low exhaust back pressure limits so the performance of an exhaust brake would not be substantial. More importantly the use of an exhaust brake on an engine with hydraulic lifters can cause engine damage. The problem is that the increased back pressure resulting from the operation of the exhaust brake will cause some degree of valve float. This valve float can cause the hydraulic lifter to re-set with the valve still open (not seated). This phenomenon is known as lifter jacking. Lifter jacking could also result if a traditional engine brake were used on these engines. The results of lifter jacking can be anything from low positive power (because the valves stay open) to engine damage caused by valve to piston contact.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-04-2008, 06:25 PM   #2 (permalink)

That is for a JAKE brake. Don't confuse a Jake brake with an exhaust brake, a jake is somehow built into the engine, an exhaust brake goes after the turbo. I had the DIY Exhaust brake on my old 02 and loved it except for the delay it had. If you want a good real one for towing go with a BD Exhaust Brake.
Old 09-04-2008, 06:43 PM   #3 (permalink)

It sounds like Jacobs makes both exhaust and engine brake products. The Jacobs engine brake opens an exhaust valve at piston TDC, while the exhaust brake is a butterfly valve in the exhaust. Jacobs does make a light duty exhaust brake, but only for the dodge cummins engine. I guess the first sentence of Jacobs Answer was the only thing that got me thinking and wondering - the fact that they won't develop either the exhaust or engine brake. I guess with so many exhaust brakes out there, I haven't heard of ANY failures of 7.3l engines due to these exhaust brakes, so I guess I'm not really worried.
Old 09-05-2008, 12:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have had a BD exhaust brake on my truck for seven years. I use it everytime the rig is moving. I have never had a problem of any kind. When I tow, I am at 20,000lbs GCW and I live in the hills. (mountains) My original service brakes are less than 25% worn. It was one of the best investments I have made. In combination with the ZF6, IMHO, it can't be beat to control speed on the hills.
jgr
2000 F350, Ecab, LWB, SRW, 4X2, ZF6, Full Gauges, Ebrake, Chipped 271rwhp/584tq, Scan gauge II, Coolantfilter, fumoto valve, oil by-pass filter, CCV mod with return to intake, dahl 100, 40 gal. aux tank, straight piped, PML cover, 203 stat and billet, AIS, Zoodad
pristine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-06-2008, 07:01 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)
Jacobs is quoting the Ford party line. Ford has made it loud and clear that any exhaust brake of any kind will immediately void the Ford warranty on your engine. For your Y2K model, that message was broadcast to all dealers, and I've quoted it several times over the years. By the 2001 model year it was included in the PSD Supplement to the Owner's Guide. So it's real clear where Ford stands.

But there have been thousands of exhaust brakes installed on '99-up 7.3L diesels, both "real" exhaust brakes and the "electronic" type that uses the EBP valve, and I've not heard of even one case that the exhaust brake hurt the engine in any way. But Ford still hasn't changed their stance.

I haven't needed more braking power on my rig. My truck was used mostly for dragging my 5er around the lower 48, across every mountain range at least once, and my OEM brake pads lasted over 100,000 miles. But a few months ago I thought I'd try one, so I bought the SP-Diesel exhaust brake and torque converter copntroller ( www.sp-diesel.com ). It works great, but I haven't towed with it yet. I plan on a several-hundred mile towing jaunt in early October to attend the NTPSD rally east of Dallas, so I'll give it a workout on that trip. There's one good hill on I-20 called Ranger Hill that will let me know if it works good or not.

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-07-2008, 02:16 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
I have an exhaust brake on my DP Tuner that used the OEM exhaust valve. I only towed with it once, but I like it. It was only an extra $25 or something in the DP Tuning program.

2006 E350 6.0PSD, 2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 1998 Jetta TDI

2003 Excursion Limited 4WD 7.3PSD - Sold, 1996 E350 Super Duty bus 7.3PSD - Sold
Super_Dave is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.