Fooling the MAP sensor - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-26-2006, 09:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fooling the MAP sensor

I've got either a very dumb or very esoteric question regarding "fooling" the Manifold Air Pressure sensor (with a Boost Annihilator or the like) so you can run higher boost without causing de-fueling due to overboost.

I'm under the impression that the MAP sensor is used, at least in part, to determine how much fuel to feed to the engine. Is that wrong? If it's not, then why aren't you under-fueling at boost levels that are higher than what you're showing to the MAP sensor? It seems to me like the system is running open-loop instead of closed-loop at that point.
Early 1999 (2/98) Cali-spec F-250 XLT SD CC 7.3 2WD Short Bed Auto - Triple Gauges - Ford AIS with Fender Sleeve mod - Banks BHA - NCHornet CCV mod - BTM - '06 seats - John Wood trans - 6.0 trans cooler - DP-Tuner F5 chip 40T/60T/80E/120 - ITP Overboost Annihilator - DI Regulated Return - Terminator dual HPOP - Airdog
wwalkersd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-26-2006, 10:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Re: Fooling the MAP sensor

The map sensor is designed as a feedback device to adjust fuel to keep boost within the Ford design parameters. If it sees 22psi(my regulator is set at 22psi) it thinks it is doing its job perfectly and maintains the fuel at that flow rate. If it sees over boost(24psi in my truck) it defuels around 20%(so I have been told). After boost drops into normal range it will reset in about 30seconds or less on my truck.

The old way to bypass the MAP from throwing a code is to ground out the green wire on the map. That is no longer used as far as I know.

I never liked the blow-off valves. To me, it defeated the purpose of building higher boost if it was going to be blown off under the hood.

Anywho, this is my "redneck reckoning" of how it works,

Keep Strokin'

Annoy A Liberal
Work Hard, Succeed, Live Happy!

Family of 5 saved by Grace.....
strokin_early_99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2006, 10:55 PM   #3 (permalink)

this is correct. our overboost eliminator will solve this issue with out any side-effects...30 second install.

http://www.spdiesel.com

then click on other products.

or alternatively you can find it easily on ebay.
2004 F250 Crew Cab 6.0L
2004.5 Dodge Ram Cummins
2006 Jeep Liberty CRD
2007 ML320CDI
Soon To Be 2007 Dodge Ram 2500 6.7L

http://www.spdiesel.com
"Can your Resistor do this?"
spdiesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2006, 11:21 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (21)

Nice...Thanks SP.

I just bought the overboost eliminator doo hicky....

This site is like heroin for a junkie... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]

Chris

Fumoto, Turbo-Master, MBRP 4", Billet Triple Disc TC, HD TransGo Tugger, AIS, Triple Pod, Autometer Phantoms, SPDiesel Overboost Eliminator, SCT Tuned by Tadd @ Elite Diesel Performance 75/100/125 and DP-Tuner 80 Econo PCM, Sirius Radio...
2006 Jeep Liberty Sport CRD 4X4...
MY GALLERY
Tough_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2006, 05:58 AM   #5 (permalink)

If it's only a problem with the '99-up trucks, then why not run a '94-'97 map sensor?
Just curious...
DZLJIM is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2006, 08:05 AM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)

It has to do with the programming of the '99-up PCM's I believe. Self protecting in overboosted conditions. Kind of like it cutting back on a 1211 code as well. For overboost, I use a 20PSI non-adjustable regulator on the MAP line. Works beautifully. I check with my Banks 6 gun, because that reads the PSI that the MAP sees. It has NEVER gone over 20#'s. I run right around 30 PSI max. I also used to run SPDiesel's EBP "fooler". Although, it never worked. I always got the backpressure code. Mabe I got a bad one? I dunno. I now run the EBP sensor in line with the MAP line feeding my regulator, so it basically sees boost pressure. And not drive pressure. It is that way because I have my drive pressure guage plumbed into the spot for the EBP.

'01 F-550
Boonman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.