Fuel Mileage with Edge Evolution on Extreme - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2006, 03:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Fuel Mileage with Edge Evolution on Extreme

Hey there,

Just curious to know what kind of fuel mileage anybody else here is getting specificly with their edge evolution programmer on extreme mode. I figured more power meant decreased fuel economy, but that seems to most certainly not be the case in my 7.3 Excursion. I bought this 2000 excursion in Utah, and on the trip home to California, the mileage computer said 16.5 mpg, and when I got home I calculated that I was actually getting about 18. A few days after getting it home I installed the K&N Fipk intake, a 4 inch MBRP exhaust system, and the Edge Evolution extreme program, and now the computer consistantly shows better than 24mpg. So I am waiting til I drive a bit more to fill up the tank and check the mileage myself against what the computer says, but I think it's gotta be fairly close. I know that the intake and bigger exhaust are going to increase the fuel economy some, but it seems to have more to do with the programming.

When I loaded the "Towing" program the mileage computer instantly started to drop indicating worse fuel economy. Then loaded extreme back on, and the fuel economy came back up. Seems backwards, but totally awesome if it really is the case. More power and better fuel mileage? Hell, I'll take that any day!
http://gothelicopters.com/images/adelinebackground.jpg
LaRell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-03-2006, 04:03 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Fuel Mileage with Edge Evolution on Extreme

Sorry to burst your bubble, but if you do a search on this forum for programmers + mpg, you'll find that some of the programmers trick the sensors to provide the fuel rate that they do. In doing this, it pretty much makes the lie-o-meter overhead useless. I think you'll be lucky to see mpg's in the 17 to 18 range, hand calculated, on the Extreme program.
Also, your signature doesn't show if you have oversize tires or not, but if you run oversize tires, and the pcm hasn't been reprogrammed for the correct tire size, you won't get accurate numbers unless you factor that in to your equation.
Not saying that mpg's in the 20's isn't achievable, just stating that unless you drive 55 to 60 mph, you're going to see the mpg figures that most everyone else with a 7.3l sees.
Y2K F250 CC PSD Auto, Short-bed Lariat, Woodland Green/Gold, ordered 07/10/99, born 09/12/99, delivered 10/08/99, Access bed cover, Bed Rug, Zoodad mod, Viper Remote Start Alarm, Fumoto valve, 125K somewhat error-free miles (so far) [never back to dealer for anything]
Repairs: CPS, Water Separator Valve assembly, rear axle bearings, VSS, batteries, brakes, alternator, serpentine belt (x2), driver door pwrlock actuator, water pump

2009 VW Tiguan 2.0 l turbo 200 hp gas engine (TDI engine not available for it yet)
short_stuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2006, 04:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hey there, thanks for the reply. Yeah I figured something like that would be the case. I have not been trusting that computer much, wich is why I haven't been getting my hopes up much until I manually check the mileage to see what I'm really getting. It does not have oversize tires at all.......yet.
My signature does not say anything about my ride, because I can not seem to figure out how to edit my sig. I assumed I could change it later so I didn't bother making one when I signed up on this site. Where do I go to edit it?
http://gothelicopters.com/images/adelinebackground.jpg
LaRell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2006, 05:18 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (21)

Click "my home" in the tool bar second from the top of the page. Then you can edit or set-up your settings.

Your mileage will never match up to the overhead again....too bad!

Chris

Fumoto, Turbo-Master, MBRP 4", Billet Triple Disc TC, HD TransGo Tugger, AIS, Triple Pod, Autometer Phantoms, SPDiesel Overboost Eliminator, SCT Tuned by Tadd @ Elite Diesel Performance 75/100/125 and DP-Tuner 80 Econo PCM, Sirius Radio...
2006 Jeep Liberty Sport CRD 4X4...
MY GALLERY
Tough_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2006, 07:57 PM   #5 (permalink)

I tried the Edge Evolution and it was a lot of fun to drive on "extreme" but it reduced my fuel economy by 2 MPG. I figure my mileage the old-fashioned way and always test over at least four fillups.
Evans, 203 degree thermostat, Poor Man's Tymar, 4" Single SS Exhaust, Rugged Air Dam
225-75x16E tires in front 235-85x16Es in back, tires aired up to 100 psi, Lowered 4" in front and 6" in back, "Fastback" bed fairing
21.3 MPG before mods
27.0 MPG tested with mods
Dave Whitmer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2008, 01:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaRell View Post
Hey there,

Just curious to know what kind of fuel mileage anybody else here is getting specificly with their edge evolution programmer on extreme mode. I figured more power meant decreased fuel economy, but that seems to most certainly not be the case in my 7.3 Excursion. I bought this 2000 excursion in Utah, and on the trip home to California, the mileage computer said 16.5 mpg, and when I got home I calculated that I was actually getting about 18. A few days after getting it home I installed the K&N Fipk intake, a 4 inch MBRP exhaust system, and the Edge Evolution extreme program, and now the computer consistantly shows better than 24mpg. So I am waiting til I drive a bit more to fill up the tank and check the mileage myself against what the computer says, but I think it's gotta be fairly close. I know that the intake and bigger exhaust are going to increase the fuel economy some, but it seems to have more to do with the programming.

When I loaded the "Towing" program the mileage computer instantly started to drop indicating worse fuel economy. Then loaded extreme back on, and the fuel economy came back up. Seems backwards, but totally awesome if it really is the case. More power and better fuel mileage? Hell, I'll take that any day!
I have a 2002 Ford F-250 powerstroke with the evolution and an after market air intake. I also have a 3" lift and 4 wheel drive with AT tires (Normal size tires). I also have a brush guard grill and headache rach Before I upgraded I was getting 15.8 Hwy and 13.5 city. The manufacturer said 2 to 5 mpg on the air intake and 3 to 5 on the evolution. After tweaking the evolution I have exceded those numbers . the onboard meter was showing 38.3 mpg on the highway and 28 in town. I checked for several tanks manually and realized that the onboard meter was not accurate. I was actually getting closer to 28.8 on the highway driving 60 MPH and 23 in the city. I am extremely satisfied. I leave the evolution on extreme because it gets the best MPG. Keep in mind that if you put your foot in it and keep it there the MPG will always suck. Put it on 60 mph cruise control and it does really well. Does anyone know how to recalibrate the onboard MPG sensor so it reads correctly?
Labotnik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-01-2008, 02:25 PM   #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labotnik View Post
After tweaking the evolution I have exceded those numbers .
What do you mean by tweaking??? What did you do to it?
Old 10-01-2008, 07:38 PM   #8 (permalink)

This guy must be a car salesman.
brotherxb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2008, 03:55 PM   #9 (permalink)

I am sorry I did not respond sooner. When I mentioned tweeking I was referring to the custom settings that you can calibrate in the manual. The custom settings are on page 21 of my manual. When you are preparing to program your vehicle, you will have the option to change certain parameters. You will need to chosse yes when promted to " Create a custom program" At that time you will have the opportunity to tweek certain things on the program. I found that lowering the the standard shifting on auto trans to a negative number did the most good in raising the miles per gallon.
Labotnik is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.