The Diesel Stop banner

Fuel pressure spring

6K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Traildust 
#1 ·
good day,

I just order the billet FPR housing with the 3 spring through DieselOring. wondering witch spring shoud i use?

any testing should i do to help choosing the right spring?

#3 ·
that the one a was planning to use but why not going the the black one? in witch circumstances the black one will be better?

#6 ·
Over the years many have found that 65 psi is the sweet spot for fuel pressure. Going higher doesn't really improve performance and puts stress on the fuel pump as well as seals that Nick mentioned. You can try the black one, but will likely not see improvement over the gold spring.

#5 ·
I used the gold spring. Fuel pressure runs low to mid 60's. I've logged every drop of fuel since my truck was new and I'm showing +.6 MPG since going to the FPR housing 2,000 miles ago. Coincidence? Don't know but I'll take it.

#7 ·
Gold it is. I was just curious why they have a spring with higher psi when its not needed...

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#8 ·
Yan,
Funny, I wondered the same thing when I did my first one. Due to the "more is better" philosophy, I was tempted to go with black spring too! Really couldn't understand the why the weakest spring was in there! Went with gold, as advised on here, and couldn't be happier! When I install them without removing the bowl, I use an external hitch pin that I bent slightly more open, to hold the housing against the bowl while I get the bolts in. Secret is to slip hitch pin on diagonally, so one leg holds against bowl lip and the other holds return housing inward. Works great without getting in my way. The hitch pin I use is about 3 1/2" long, 1/8" diameter, and looks like this:

Attachments

#10 ·
I have probably messed around with the FPR and assorted springs and other things to get fuel pressure where I wanted it, 62 to 68 psi more than a lot of people. I had a problem with low fuel pressure, mine would start of at 58 to 60 then slowly bleed down to about 55 psi. I tried everything, rebuild the FPR including replacing the seal on the poppet valve, replaced the fuel pump also. I went with the Diesel Orings Billet FPR Housing and the black spring, now my fuel pressure hold at 68 to 70 psi and I don't want to mess with it anymore. I did try the gold spring but in my case it wouldn't work on my setup, only saw 58 to 62 psi with it. So I guess you can say the black spring is there in case the gold one doesn't cut it. I can add this little bit of advice. if your going to be messing around with the stock FPR Housing get the billet one, it is so much stronger and not as apt to break like the OEM one does. I do have a fuel pressure gauge as one of my assorted guage package.
Bill

Reactions: yan7gin
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.