The Diesel Stop banner

Gauge hookup ?'s

3K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  delreyr 
#1 ·
Hey finally got ahold of some gauges and now how a few questions on hooking them up. There c2 electrical gauges and came with the electrical sender instead of the probe like the egt gauge. Oil temp and Trans temp do I just drill a hole tap it and screw these senders in or do I have to take the pans off and put a nut on the inside and screw the sender into it? And where's the best place to get the readings? Thanks

#2 ·
If you drill and tap the trans have enough money in the bank for a new trans. You'll need one!

There is a port on the driver's side of the trans, towards the front of the trans, just above the pan. It has a black hex head bolt in it from the factory. Remove the plug and install the sender there. You'll only lose a teaspoon or so of fluid.

#3 ·
#4 ·
Ok cool just a double check I found on the Trans the black hex bolt right by the shift linkage on top of the Trans pan can't tell if its black or not but I'm assuming that's it and for the oil ur speaking of the one bolt other than the fasteners for the housing that looks almost like it doesent belong there ? As far as the egt I already did that way back but thank you anyways guys uv been a big help as always

#5 ·
Look on picture 13 and 14 on the link I listed above. It shows the port Mark told you about.

#6 ·
One more question I got the gauges installed everything's good except the Trans temp and oil temp both just burry the needle past there max way to hot and inaccurate. Each of these gauges had a separate port for a ground but I didn't use them because the directions on the gauge said they ground through the sender. Y are these things reading wrong or is it just because I didn't use that ground port??

#7 ·
A one wire sender uses the ground as a sender. A two wire sender doesn't. My temp senders for my gauges are all two wire.

#8 ·
Well each of these gauges had five hook ups 12 volt constant tied to a switch, ground, sender, then + and - for the lights so I guess ill try to hook up the grounds and see what happens. They work there just not reading the right temp there's no way my oil temp is 300 degrees and my Trans temp five min of driving is 300 degrees it should be around 140 160

#9 ·
I have the C2 gauges from Autometer. The black leads have to be attached to chassis ground. I have 5 gauges on the pillar and all 5 are crimped on one eye that is screwed into the framework under the dash.

#10 ·
thanks gonna ground both with everything eles i have grounded to the dash frame. iv never seen so much wiring going up a pillar before five wires to each gauge is a bit crazy but it is what it is i guess.

#11 ·
Try 5 times 5 gauges.

#12 ·
DUDE! Thats wild! im all about it man cant have enough haha. theres a guy on here i forget his name but hes got like 26 gauges on his dash guys crazy love it tho howd you get that pic like that tho iv always tried and could never figure it out

#13 ·
Your thinking of CRATOS. I think redcell6613 has him beat.

I don't understand what you mean, you can't figure out how to post a pic?

#14 ·
yea iv never been able to just post a picture only been allowed to post a url link. oh well happy new years drinking has started thanks again for the help.

#15 ·
You might be doing it wrong. You don't need permission to post them here. Enjoy your NYE, be safe and sane. When you feel like it PM me and I'll explain how I post pics.

#16 ·
Well iv got everything hooked up now and the temps are still to high from the test port on the tranny I'm getting over 300 iv got a built tranny aftermarket true cool cooler and the oil is a perfect red not burnt there's no way the Trans is running that temp. Oil temp same thing still over three hundred with a reading from the port right ubove the filter. Motors running a steady water temp its not over heating egts are in the sixes while driving there's no way I'm running that hot. I know 245 250 is hot so I'm gonna change the oil and check the cooler and well go from there. What temps are you guys seeing and where are u reading from is there a port on the oil resivor I can put the sensor in to maby get a more accurate reading?

#17 ·
I have my transmission temperature sensor in the same port you are using. I see about 40-60 degrees over ambient. For me, that means my transmission is running around 100° since we are in the worst part of winter now. I used to monitor engine oil temp, but found the numbers were always right on with what the EOT sensor in the HPOP was reporting to the PCM, so I changed that to engine oil pressure. When I was monitoring temp, it was always within 5 degrees of ECT once the engine warmed up. For me, that was 180° - measured at the port next to the oil filter.

I would contact your gauge manufacturer - something is seriously wrong either with your installation or your gauges.

#18 ·
Well there's not much to go wrong with the installation it's just a wire from the sensor to the gauge lol I think this gauge is twisted its gotta be

#19 ·
True, but it is a resistance measurement so if one of the connections wasn't perfect, it could affect it. I had an instance where my trans temp would jump into the mid 200s and back every time I hit a railroad crossing. Turned out one of the crimp connectors didn't bite properly.

#20 ·
As RT said some of the Autometer guages need the threaded body of the sender to be grounded. My Ultralight directions say that the threaded body of the sendor(not where the sender wire hooks up) might need to be grounded. I'm about to wire in my trans temp guage, I'll post up with results.

DelRey

#21 ·
My Autometer Ultralight trans temp guage did not need a ground wire on the sender to function properly FYI. It has the one sender wire going to the sender and that's it. Hope this helps.

DelRey

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.