Grounding The Map Sensor. - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-21-2005, 06:26 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Grounding The Map Sensor.

Back in the day my banks level 5 big hoss chip said to do this, when I dumped that chip and went to a ts chip i kept it there, now im getting my truck back from a rebuild and im putting in a Dp tuner chip, should I discontinue grounding the map And get a boost relief valve? or is grounding the Map ok?
2001 F-350 Supercab short bed, Ford AIC, Buckstop bumper, 2 80 PRO XT Piaa's, 4- 8in Explorer Pro Comp Lights, M12000 winch, K&n Fipk, Garret Gtp38R Turbo, banks power elbow, banks monster exhaust, 6.0 Litre Intercooler, Dp-Tuner 4 poisition chip 60-80 econo-120-140, Banks Six gun,PSC Ram Assist, Autometer Oil temp, Diff temp, Oil Pressure, Water temp, Intake Air temp, Tranney temp, Voltmeter, Pyrometer, Boost Gauges. 12in lift 8in Spring Packs, 3.5in hanger up front and blocked 5in Out back, Goodyear G-124's 265/70/19.5, Spitzlift crane, Snow performance water/meth injection, Suncoast triple disk converter, Tru-cool tranny cooler, Mag hytec tranny pan, 4.30's and Front and Rear Lockers. Towing the vette is FUNNN
CorvetteGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-21-2005, 06:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Bobcat698
Re: Grounding The Map Sensor.

Grounding your MAP sensor is not the best choice to get rid of the SES light.

Look into our DRV++
TS Performance chips, SCT, Edge Products, AFE, Superchips, Diablo, Autometer & Dipricol Gauges, Turbo Air Guides, MBRP & Magnaflow Exhaust, Aeroturbine, ATS, Hypertech, Steroid & 18K modules, South Bend Clutches & more!
Get STACKED with a 4,5,6, or 7 Inch STACK kit!
Call us for your exhaust pipe needs!
Superior Customer Service, FAST Shipping!

Garrett Shields
OWNER
715-498-0707 Call ANYTIME!
www.PUREDIESELPOWER.com

New Rig: 1998 Dodge 2500 Club Cab 12V Cummins, Black, 600+RWHP
Bobcat698 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2005, 07:33 PM   #3 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 3 reviews

We've found that the ground wire type devices for controlling MAP readings can have negative effects during lower boost operation as well. Since you're getting your chip from Jody (presumably), ask him what he recommends.

We recommend using a regulator type device like our OVERBOOST KIT. Check the link, lots of good reading and viewing. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Race Truck :: 5500# / 12.66 @ 105mph / Best 60' of 1.67 ... on 226k Mile PMRs! (PMR Engine Retired)
Race Truck :: 6050# / 11.37 @ 119mph / Best 60' of 1.56 ... with "Built" Race Engine (Fuel Only!)
Strictly Diesel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-21-2005, 10:03 PM   #4 (permalink)

The wire that came with your Banks kit is not merely a ground wire. It is a 4.6 volt zener diode. This limits the return reference voltage so the pcm does not see excessive boost.
Old 09-22-2005, 12:20 AM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

JMS,

Nice info! This is surely the PRIMO way to do the MAP sensor limiting and cheap as hell!

And may I add, MORE RELIABLE!

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img]

EARLY99;F250;SD;4X4;7.3L;XLT;3.73GEARS;STDCAB;LB
GLASSTITE RAVIN HIGH RISE CAP
MICHELIN X M/S2 LT265/75 R16E
ALUMINIUM ALLOY WHEELS
BALANCE MASTERS SAF-350F(F&R)
SUPERCHIPS 1705 MAX TUNER
BD X-MONITOR DIGITAL GAUGES
AUTOTAP OBD-II PC MONITORING SYSTEM
AUXILARY IDLE CONTROL(AIC)
FORD AIS AIR CLEANER
BANKS 4" STAINLESS MONSTER EXHAUST & POWER ELBOW
HX MOD
REGULATED FUEL RETURN & COOLER
HIGH OUTPUT CPS
GARRETT BB TURBO
SUN COAST PRO-LOC SD21-3D TRIPLE DISK BILLET T/C
SUN COAST PRO-LOC PLSD-4R100-4X TRANSMISSION
SUN COAST 4R-300M BILLET TRANS INPUT SHAFT
MAG-HYTEC TRANSMISSION PAN and DIFF. COVER
DIESELSITE TRANSMISSION FILTER
FS2500 BYPASS OIL FILTER
SS SHIELDED TEFLON OIL LINES
WF2071 COOLANT FILTER
BILLET THERMOSTAT HOUSING
DUAL ALTERNATORS & 3KW 120V SINE INVERTER
CRIMESTOPPER 2WAY REMOTE START&ALARM
TUBULAR STAINLESS GRILL
STAINLESS NERF BARS(WHEEL2WHEEL)
EDELBROCK IAS SHOCKS
MOBIL DELVAC 1300 OIL
NAVISTAR DEFOAMER
djlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2005, 12:29 AM   #6 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
JMS,

Nice info! This is surely the PRIMO way to do the MAP sensor limiting and cheap as hell!

And may I add, MORE RELIABLE!

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, the zener diode is EXACTLY what we've replaced a number of because of low boost drivability problems. Removal of the diode grounding wire immediately solved the problem in every case we've been asked to look at.
Race Truck :: 5500# / 12.66 @ 105mph / Best 60' of 1.67 ... on 226k Mile PMRs! (PMR Engine Retired)
Race Truck :: 6050# / 11.37 @ 119mph / Best 60' of 1.56 ... with "Built" Race Engine (Fuel Only!)
Old 09-22-2005, 01:41 AM   #7 (permalink)

Dennis,

Your right, I need to look over this a bit more. All the other sensors are electronic capacitive sensors with and analog output.

I am looking at the PCM schematics (yes I have them, don't ask how) but the MAP sensor is a DIGITAL output signal. A zener can not be used here. Somebody must have looked at this with a meter and did not understand it is a VF output. If using the wrong type of meter it may have looked like and increasing analog output but instead they were reading duty cycle if an increasing frequency signal.

I am going to put the scope on it tommorrow and get back to you.

Thanks for setting me straight, it caused me to look into this a little deeper.

Go figure Ford would make this sensor different than the BMP and EBP sensors!

EARLY99;F250;SD;4X4;7.3L;XLT;3.73GEARS;STDCAB;LB
GLASSTITE RAVIN HIGH RISE CAP
MICHELIN X M/S2 LT265/75 R16E
ALUMINIUM ALLOY WHEELS
BALANCE MASTERS SAF-350F(F&R)
SUPERCHIPS 1705 MAX TUNER
BD X-MONITOR DIGITAL GAUGES
AUTOTAP OBD-II PC MONITORING SYSTEM
AUXILARY IDLE CONTROL(AIC)
FORD AIS AIR CLEANER
BANKS 4" STAINLESS MONSTER EXHAUST & POWER ELBOW
HX MOD
REGULATED FUEL RETURN & COOLER
HIGH OUTPUT CPS
GARRETT BB TURBO
SUN COAST PRO-LOC SD21-3D TRIPLE DISK BILLET T/C
SUN COAST PRO-LOC PLSD-4R100-4X TRANSMISSION
SUN COAST 4R-300M BILLET TRANS INPUT SHAFT
MAG-HYTEC TRANSMISSION PAN and DIFF. COVER
DIESELSITE TRANSMISSION FILTER
FS2500 BYPASS OIL FILTER
SS SHIELDED TEFLON OIL LINES
WF2071 COOLANT FILTER
BILLET THERMOSTAT HOUSING
DUAL ALTERNATORS & 3KW 120V SINE INVERTER
CRIMESTOPPER 2WAY REMOTE START&ALARM
TUBULAR STAINLESS GRILL
STAINLESS NERF BARS(WHEEL2WHEEL)
EDELBROCK IAS SHOCKS
MOBIL DELVAC 1300 OIL
NAVISTAR DEFOAMER
djlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2005, 07:43 AM   #8 (permalink)

Now that is good information to know. When I purchased my Banks big head it came with that zener diode wire and had directions where to terminate. It would be nice to know if it turns out not to function correctly. I do not believe I have had problems, however if it is a poor way to control the MAP please post your findings. I will be giving Dennis a call to order something more improved.
Old 09-22-2005, 08:24 AM   #9 (permalink)

I run the zener from the Banks kit, and when I had the propane in the PS2000 kit, it came with a brv, so I ran it for a while instead. Then after I put the new engine in the truck, [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img] I reinstalled the zener because the propane went out with the old motor.

I can't tell any difference. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

My T-tap came loose one time because I had inadvertantly hit it when installing a post-turbo probe for the TTM and other than setting the SES with overboost, I would have never known.

Charlie
CharlieII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2005, 08:33 AM   #10 (permalink)

I would reccomend you do a lot more reading before doing any modifications on the MAP sensor. There are several ways to defeat it. The most proven method is an inline relief valve. This has been used in many Turbo application and continues to be the number one proven method.

An adustable valve (Made for power tools) put in-line may work, but can give different readings as it relies on the amount of pressure supplied to control the output of the valves. I used it before, and when I changed the settings on my chip to run on a lower setting, it did not allow enough pressure to the MAP sensor and the truck ran like crap.

The Relief valve only opens when you are producing 24+ lbs of boost, and as tiny as they are, there is virtually no loss of boost pressure. I measeured 1 lbs of boost loss at 40 PSI, and I could not get any reading loss below that at the intake side.

You can check it on your compressor, and see exactly how it does not work. Add a boost gauge on the out put side, set it to about 24 lbs, while providing 40+ lbs of pressure to it. Lower the input pressure from your compressor to 20 lbs and see the results on your gauge, it should read much lower than 20.

You could also fool the MAP sensor using max resistor values at the connector and completly bypassing.

Another option is to raise the defuel value in the programing ascpect.
wildbill1963 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2005, 08:43 AM   #11 (permalink)

I tried using a "relief valve" to keep from setting the ses from too much boost. But....... a relief valve is the same thing as a boost leak, just controlled. Get the over-boost kit from Dennis. This way you aren't blowing off boost, your just regulating the pressure that the map is seeing. I have had no more problems since doing this.
Let your wastegate control how much you get rid of instead of the valve in your map.

When you talk to Jody, ask him about this and see what he says.
2000 F-250PSD,White,Crew Cab,Shorty,4X4,6 Speed,Luk Clutch,3.73Ls,DP-Tuner F-5 with 16prgms,Tymar Intake,Non-Wastegated Van Turbo w/ATS housing & Stock Wheel,4in Exhaust From Turbo,Zoodad,CCV Mod,ITP SS HPX Line,AIH Delete,ITP Regulated Over-Boost Eliminator,Autometer x3,Fabtech 4inch Lift,Bilstein 5100's,Eagle Alloys 16x8 w/Pro-Comp All-Terrain 35's,Powerslots w/Hawk Pads,Valley 16k Slider 5th-Wheel Hitch,$30 Custom Grille,100,000miles

325hp/721tq 4/06 on Dunbar's Rollers

Towed Item :2004 Cedar Creek 36'BB2S Bunkhouse Fifth-Wheel (12,500lbs)

<font color="blue">My Truck & Fiver :</font>
Click Here
Spare Time Activities:MHFR
<font color="red">Can You Keep Up?</font>
edmguy69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2005, 09:57 AM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

And another shameless plug.... DMI Boost Pressure Relief Valve
Hours: Mon-Fri 8:30am-5pm EST
Telephone: 603-497-2281 ------- Taking the Mystery out of Diesel Performance™

PRODUCT LINE: MBRP Exhaust Systems, aFe, S&B Intake Systems, Largest Distributor of ISSPRO EV, EV2, Performax Gauges. Autometer, Superchips, Edge Products, CFM+, AFE, BD, S&B, Mag-Hytec, Stanadyne, and more... - Please call us at 603-497-2281 for technical information or sales questions.
24/7/365 Secure Shopping Cart - OPERATING OUT OF TAX FREE NEW HAMPSHIRE - we never charge any sales tax.
TDS Members - Use Coupon Code "DIESELSTOP" for special savings
DieselManor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2005, 10:12 AM   #13 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)

[ QUOTE ]
Dennis,

Your right, I need to look over this a bit more. All the other sensors are electronic capacitive sensors with and analog output.

I am looking at the PCM schematics (yes I have them, don't ask how) but the MAP sensor is a DIGITAL output signal. A zener can not be used here. Somebody must have looked at this with a meter and did not understand it is a VF output. If using the wrong type of meter it may have looked like and increasing analog output but instead they were reading duty cycle if an increasing frequency signal.

I am going to put the scope on it tommorrow and get back to you.

Thanks for setting me straight, it caused me to look into this a little deeper.

Go figure Ford would make this sensor different than the BMP and EBP sensors!

[/ QUOTE ]

Research the archives [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I conducted extensive testing on this over 4 years ago [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Bottom line............use a regulator [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

2000 F250
Highly Modified
5.9 Common Rail Cummins
11.88 @ 114.19 w/7.3 PSD

MD-TDC Vice Pres.
Dockboy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-22-2005, 11:34 AM   #14 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Research the archives [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

I conducted extensive testing on this over 4 years ago [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Bottom line............use a regulator [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Agreed...with a few recommendations...

1. Use a HIGH QUALITY regulator and you won't have the problems mentioned by WildBill. The setup we use doesn't care if we input 15psi or 40psi, it reads CORRECT boost pressure post regulator until is reaches the max set point. There are cheap regulators that may not perform as well.

2. Don't spend hours building yourself a boost leak testing system and searching for leaky intercooler boots or MAP hoses with clamps that aren't tight enough only to INSTALL A LEAK later by putting in a boost relief valve. Anytime a relief valve opens, you have a leak...period!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.