High Performance CPS from IHC????? - Page 40 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-12-2006, 08:56 AM   #586 (permalink)

My Photos: (14)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Re: High Performance CPS from IHC?????

For setting the distance on these sensors...how about just putting some putty on it, install, remove and then measure the thickness of the putty? We used to rig entry doors on the jets this way and it worked fine. If you have a problem with it sticking ( where it shouldn't ) put a small dab of oil on the surface where you don't want any sticking.

I'm not sure of the actual mechanics of how this sensor works but maybe you would have to fiddle around so that the "lobe" or whatever it is that passes by the magnet, is in its correct position first. This may or may not be a pain. The rest should be fairly simple.
2002 F-250 Lariat 4X4 Auto PSD CC SRW. Banks 4" Monster Exh, aFe Stage II w/PG 7, TAG II + Hi-Perf Comp Wheel, X-Monitor, SCMT 1705, fuel tank and pre-pump mods, harpooned tank, Zoodad air, always bright overhead, fuel regulator shim, HX oil hose, 2003 Lighted Mirrors, 203* T Stat, Rancho 9000XLs, C-Btr Mirrors, Roll-N-Lock bed cover, Brakesmart and Titan V. 6.0 Tranny Cooler, door seal mod, Powerslot rotors and Hawk pads, HIDs installed in '05 headlights.

My Pictures
JonH is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2006, 09:13 AM   #587 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)

[ QUOTE ]
northshoredr- As FMT said it is different but I do wonder if a IH VT365 CMP sensor is any different. That is the IH version of the 6.0 PSD. Or for that matter maybe the DT570 or HT570 cmp sensors might work, just thinking out loud

[/ QUOTE ] Physically the 6.0/VT365 sensor is different. The 6.0/VT365 CPS is about 3/8 inch in diameter and about 6 inches long. It would be pretty much imposable to install it in a 7.3. Both the CMP and CKP sensors on a 6.0/VT365 are 2 wire sensors so that's a issue too as the 7.3s CPS are a 3 wire sensor. THIS is a PIC of a 6.0/VT365 CPS sensor, fifth pic down on the left.
FMT
2000 Excursion Limited 4x4 Dark Satin Green Arizona Beige 7.3 DIT, AXDO, 3.73 LS, DP Tuner F5, TERMINATOR II w R-IPR, Adjustable Boost Regulator, Turbomaster, EBPV Delete, Air Dog, ITP Regulated Fuel Return, Fuel Cooler, Tags 1&2, Harpooned Tank, Magnaflow XL Exhaust w Aeroturbine 4040L, Sonnax/Tricumulator, 8 Autometer Sport Comp 4 Gauge A Pillar 4 Gauge Overhead, Ford APCM, Crimestopper Remote Starter With Remote Fast Idle, Ford AIS w Zoodad, W Code Front Modified B Code Rear springs, Rancho RS9000X, Rancho 5406 Stabilizer, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, BFG Rugged Trail TA, V10 Trans Cooler w Dual Electric Pusher Fans, Coolant Filter, IAH Delete, (((XM))) Line Of Fire Light, Ford Cab Lights, 05 Headlights w GOS Conversion Harness, Jimmi Jammers, 03 Lighted Painted Tow Mirrors w C-BETR, PSD Badges, Pullrite Hitch, Prodigy Brake Controller, Born 01/29/00
fordmastertech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2006, 10:21 AM   #588 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)

So is the 'blue' CPS advancing or retarding the timing?
2000 Black Excursion,PFC 2 piece rotors,Tipton tuned,BDP stage 2 singles, BDP H2E, AFE stage 2, Spearco 7.3, ITP Reg. return fuel system, Evans, BTS, 186,000 miles....And still goin' strong! Thanks Beansdieselperformance.com and Puredieselpower.com for all your help
BBBxcursion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2006, 11:09 AM   #589 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)

[ QUOTE ]
So is the 'blue' CPS advancing or retarding the timing?

[/ QUOTE ] If it was advancing the timing I would think the engine would get noisier not quieter, especially when running a programmer or chip. Most people and my self have found the engine quieter after installing the blue CPS. I don't know if it affects the timing at all and until someone with the proper equipment and knowledge to test it correctly we will never know for sure. I really don't care what it does because it just seems to make the 7.3 come to life, run smoother, quiet it down and for some get better fuel mileage. I haven't put enough miles on it as the X is hibernating in my garage for the winter. Like I have said before I have spent more money on stupider things that did nothing.
I am going along with the better signal to the PCM for now and for the ones that have had them die check the CPS connector very carefully as it is a know problem area on these engines.
I have to check if Ford offers just the CPS connector pig tail without getting the whole harness and also see if they have the non gold plated pin ones too. The DT466 CPS looks like it has non gold plated pins like the earlier OBS 7.3 PSDs had. May be someone at International can look up the pigtails or provide the correct pin material on the DT466 CPS, I don't know for sure.
FMT
2000 Excursion Limited 4x4 Dark Satin Green Arizona Beige 7.3 DIT, AXDO, 3.73 LS, DP Tuner F5, TERMINATOR II w R-IPR, Adjustable Boost Regulator, Turbomaster, EBPV Delete, Air Dog, ITP Regulated Fuel Return, Fuel Cooler, Tags 1&2, Harpooned Tank, Magnaflow XL Exhaust w Aeroturbine 4040L, Sonnax/Tricumulator, 8 Autometer Sport Comp 4 Gauge A Pillar 4 Gauge Overhead, Ford APCM, Crimestopper Remote Starter With Remote Fast Idle, Ford AIS w Zoodad, W Code Front Modified B Code Rear springs, Rancho RS9000X, Rancho 5406 Stabilizer, Hellwig Rear Sway Bar, BFG Rugged Trail TA, V10 Trans Cooler w Dual Electric Pusher Fans, Coolant Filter, IAH Delete, (((XM))) Line Of Fire Light, Ford Cab Lights, 05 Headlights w GOS Conversion Harness, Jimmi Jammers, 03 Lighted Painted Tow Mirrors w C-BETR, PSD Badges, Pullrite Hitch, Prodigy Brake Controller, Born 01/29/00
fordmastertech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2006, 04:31 PM   #590 (permalink)
Zro

I'm not even going to TRY and read this whole thread, but I figured if it's this long and not tampered with by the Mods/Admin., it must be quite productive.

So I guess I'll be looking into this blue CPS thang'.

*my contribution to this thread* [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img]

-DI chip

9.5@72 no lock-up.
15.1@89.62 with 9.68 1/8 :P

www.diperformance.com
Zro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-12-2006, 10:19 PM   #591 (permalink)

So 40 pages and still no real conclusion-or any real technical data.........man do I love this place
2000 Black Excursion,PFC 2 piece rotors,Tipton tuned,BDP stage 2 singles, BDP H2E, AFE stage 2, Spearco 7.3, ITP Reg. return fuel system, Evans, BTS, 186,000 miles....And still goin' strong! Thanks Beansdieselperformance.com and Puredieselpower.com for all your help
BBBxcursion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2006, 08:23 AM   #592 (permalink)

If I had a breakout box and if Katrina hadn't given my oscilloscope a bath I would've looke at this a while ago but.... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]
Bud
1997(12/97) F250 SC XLT PSD 4x4 150k 4.10LS,5spd, 1998 BMW 323i conv, 1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo 175k, Mods include:Luk SM flywheel kit, Hypermax downpipe, no kitten, gutted ebpv, shimmed regulator, Donaldson open element air filter, add-a-leaf front.
BadTrukRisin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2006, 10:21 AM   #593 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
So 40 pages and still no real conclusion-or any real technical data.........man do I love this place

[/ QUOTE ]

Yip... 40 pages.

>ALL< this thing is, is an alternative replacement part to look into, if (when) yer OEM CPS craps out. Thats ALL it is.

You won't need a Wheelie Bar, you won't git 10 more MPG, Yer radio won't be louder.

But it does seem.... 7-3s run a bit better.... in quite a few wayz, with it. Maybe not. But it's worth a try.

Don't know 'bout others, but Tech data is like Statistics..... you can make them numbers tell ya exactly what you WANT to hear. The numbers are only as good as the person operating the test equipment or the calculator. If given the right "Slant", the numbers can show a Widgit, to be the best thing since Squirt Cheeze.... or make it go the way of the Edsel.

I know it worked for me, and the 10 or 12 others, I've installed them for.

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

JOE

Time for the KISS principle to apply here ?? Maybe ??
2K, F-350, XLT, XCAB, 2WD, DRW, 6 Spd, 3.73LS, 4 Pod pillar mnt, EGT, Boost, Trans/Engine temp, Fuel press. guages, Quadzilla 50/75/120,ES AIS w/fender mod, Shimmed FPR, Dahl pre-pump filter, HX Mod, Racor (Mod'd) CCV, Premo oil Refiner, W/Wheel with both TAGs, Banks W/gate actuator, DT466 CPS, 6.0 Intercooler, Banks I/C tubes & DPP boots, 25psi BPRV, Full 4" exhst, AeroTurbine w/exhaust guide, MagnaFlow, Intake Heater Delete, Heater core bypass, 203* Thermo, Coolant Fltr., "Hutch" Tank & Fuel system Mods,fill pipe fix, Mag-Hytec Dif cvr, Fumoto, Bilstiens, SafeTplus Steering Dampner, Centramatic's, Ride Rites, SilverStars, Clear APC Head/Tail/Corner & all Marker lights, 2 850cca Optima's, Ultra Boards, Burlwood Dash, XM radio, Billit Grill (Black). TTMs/C-beters. Pull a 32 ft Montana FW. 102K
BIG JOE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2006, 10:31 AM   #594 (permalink)
Banned

My Photos: (38)

[ QUOTE ]

Time for the KISS principle to apply here ?? Maybe ??

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it IS pretty simple. It costs the same + there is a very good chance it makes the truck run better.
I can't think of a reason NOT to try it, other than the fact they aren't on eBay for $50 yet.... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
gregrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2006, 01:37 PM   #595 (permalink)

Greg, just waiting for them to hit e-bay before I go for mine. I agree that tech babble can mean anything just like statistics but what I wanted to see if, in comparison to a new PSD cps to a DT466 what the differences really are. I suspect that is it is just a stronger faster rising pulse but I am not going to lose any sleep over it. I'll just do the Junior Jones lab test on it when I get one.... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]
Bud
1997(12/97) F250 SC XLT PSD 4x4 150k 4.10LS,5spd, 1998 BMW 323i conv, 1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo 175k, Mods include:Luk SM flywheel kit, Hypermax downpipe, no kitten, gutted ebpv, shimmed regulator, Donaldson open element air filter, add-a-leaf front.
BadTrukRisin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-13-2006, 01:41 PM   #596 (permalink)
Banned

My Photos: (38)

[ QUOTE ]
I'll just do the Junior Jones lab test on it when I get one.... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]
Bud

[/ QUOTE ]

That's what I plan to do.
gregrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2006, 04:02 PM   #597 (permalink)

Not using your post as a reply,just to keep from scrolling back through. The vendor I purchased my cam sensor from FINALLY got back in touch with me today,heres his reply:

John, I apoligize we missed your call. We did get your voicemail, and will also try to call you regarding this. If you can get me the VIN of the truck and start/failed mileage, I can try and run the part thru my Navistar distributor as a warranty part. This is assuming you are using this in a <font color="blue"> DT466 (INTERNATIONAL) </font> We have no idea what others have been doing with these sensors, just that we have been asked to carry that application. Apparently these are also being installed in a Ford 7.3 powerstroke, which I am unsure of a true compatability. Using this in Ford application is not something we endorse, nor recommend. Even so, if you can send the sensor back to us we will do everything possible to get you a credit.

I have deleted the name of the vendor,becuase I know some of you swear by these guy,and the fact that I did get my package from them very fast,but I will say I will SHOP for things for my POWERSTROKE elsewhere.
Old 02-14-2006, 05:18 PM   #598 (permalink)

IBSTROKIN

Not to worry, even though you did not buy the part from us, we can warranty the part and send you a new one to replace it. Of course I must get the failed part returned to us to complete the warranty.
2001 F-250 Crew, long box, 4x4, Big Hoss level-5 Chip, Turbo Air Guide (TAG-II), Ford AIS air intake with foam sleeve, Monster exhaust, Aeroturbine, exhaust Guide, 6.0L intercooler, Di-Pricol Optix gauges, IHC CPS, Premo Oil Refiner, Banks Exhaust brake, SmartLock, Banks Quick Turbo, Six-Gun.

2000 Excursion PSD limited, Banks Big Hoss level-5 Chip, Turbo Air Guide (TAG-II), Banks Transcommand, UNI 2-stage foam air filter, 4" aluminized exhaust with 4" down pipe and 2 Aeroturbines.

97 F-250 Powerstoke 4x4 Banks Power Pack etc.

2006 VW Jetta, PD TDI, not modified yet[/i]
carnut57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-14-2006, 05:41 PM   #599 (permalink)

IF you could do that for me,youve earned a new customer!!! Ill be in contact with you tomorrow!! The only reason I bought from them was in past they have always delivered fast and they were easy to work with,nothing personal of course.Whiule I understand where the guy is coming from in his explanation,in my mind it just isnt right.In fact,I think when I ordered it,it said <font color="blue">BLUE </font> cam sensor,not DT466.Something evidentally wasnt right from the get go on it,becuase I never noticed ANYTHING different about the way my truck behaved,and I I said,the first little trip I made with it I had this little hickup then it smoothed out,but anyway,I will be in touch tomorrow!!!
Old 02-16-2006, 05:27 PM   #600 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
I am going along with the better signal to the PCM

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe? but the digital signal looked the same on both sensors on a lab scope.

Someone mentioned “Breakout box “ no need for one, a lab scope and a couple of bed of nails leads is all that’s required.

Retarding the timing WILL make it quieter I do agree.

I decided to bow out of this back when I realized that was Dave pimping this product over at his website. (but I figured what the hell ,one more post)

How could I go against the posts here of, higher mileage, smoother running, quieter and whatever? That would be a lose,lose situation, so I wont.

It really doesn’t matter what data you post or how you did it, your just going to get beat to death here anyway ….just ask Hutch.

If you like it? run it, plain and simple.

Now IHC suggests using the PSD sensor on some of there engines in there fleet to bump the timing up to deal drivability complaints that are brought on by stacked tolerance issues and does seem to make sense.

If you look back in this thread you even find statements like: (I’ll paraphrase) you would have to have the exact controlled environment and the exact same air temp, oil temp, coolant temps to tell if the sensor really did changed the timing.

FYI, most knowledgeable folks here realize, that none of these, factor into the trigger point of this fixed sensor. This is a fixed sensor and could care less about fluid or air temps or where it was done at and how many beers it took to do so.

So heres what we know as of now:

Fact: I may or may not have done some testing on this sensor. Who cares if I did it wouldn’t make any difference anyway, again just ask Hutch. Those that have already made the change will still stick with smoother running, better mileage, and quitter.

Fact: Now Dave even states in his own testing, that advancing the timing on a Cummins that it got Louder.

Hello! We advanced the timing It got louder!…hint hint hint …it got louder folks! what a shock! I’m stunned!

The PSD however gets quieter with the “Blue sensor” …hint hint hint. Dave just told you which way the timing is moved using the “Blue sensor “ and it doesn’t advance it.

Fact: Dave makes $$$$ on this product and others like it at his site with having done no testing other than Seat of his pants I find very interesting ?

Fact: Dave admits to having done NO TESTING, and hasn’t a clue as to the long term effects of retarding the timing will have on a PSD, or even the effects of advancing the timing for that matter, does he? it does however retard the timing that why it’s quiter.

Fact Dave is laughing all the way to the bank

Sianara

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.