How do i get locking differential? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2010, 09:25 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How do i get locking differential?

how do i get a locking differential in my 1999 7.3 diesel? whats the best one and where is the best place to get it? how hard is it to install, what kinda off time am i looking at in the project? I want some pulling power boys!!!
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2010, 11:27 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)
The most popular aftermarket positraction for our trucks the Eaton/Detroit TruTrac:

http://www.ringpinion.com/ProductDet...spx?ProdID=221

or if you want it to lock up tight, then the Eaton/Detroit Locker

Detroit Locker for Ford 10.25" & 10.5" with 35 spline axles - DET225S-56A

I wouldn't even think about doing the R&R myself, but then I'm no longer a shade-tree mechanic.

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.

Last edited by SmokeyWren; 08-30-2010 at 11:38 PM.
SmokeyWren is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2010, 11:54 PM   #3 (permalink)

really, a locker is not going to add any power, since now it is driving both axles/wheels. you will need to regear to gain more power. if you have a 2wd, you only regear the rear of course, so gears, bearing kit and a detroit full locker will run you about 800-1000. getting someone to install it can run from a case of beer to 600. it is not something you can just do yourself, the tools alone will run you over a 1000 and it can be a royal pita to do and very frustrating. either buy the gears and locker through a vendor to get good stuff or whomever does the work. randy;s ring and pinion is a good site for information. hth.

2002 F350 7.3 cc lb drw, 4wd, 190k, b&w gn hitch, auto, no other mods yet
sold 1996 F250 7.3 CC SB 239k Line-X'ed bed liner, cold air intake
bitbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-30-2010, 11:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Nevr put one in a super duty but i run detroits in my jeep and if you want selectable you cant beat an ARB. I installed the detroits myself, pretty straight forward with a few tools. The hard part is laying upside down while doing it, with a lift it would be very easy though.
Old 08-31-2010, 12:16 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallen View Post
Nevr put one in a super duty but i run detroits in my jeep and if you want selectable you cant beat an ARB. I installed the detroits myself, pretty straight forward with a few tools. The hard part is laying upside down while doing it, with a lift it would be very easy though.
hey wallen, do you run the jeep at street speeds? close enough might be okay at trail speeds, but i wouldn't think so at street speeds. changing the carrier is going to change everything for the bearings. i could be wrong though. an arb requires an air source and cost more too.

2002 F350 7.3 cc lb drw, 4wd, 190k, b&w gn hitch, auto, no other mods yet
sold 1996 F250 7.3 CC SB 239k Line-X'ed bed liner, cold air intake
bitbreaker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-31-2010, 12:39 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thats a very good point, my jeep is a trailer queen and rarely sees any asphalt time. That may play a big role in how it functions, im not sure. The ARB does require compressor/air lines but that was included in the price when my dad purchased his. Either way it would probably be best to take it to a shop for installation unless you have a little mechanical knowledge and are not afraid to dig into the project.
Old 08-31-2010, 07:39 AM   #7 (permalink)

I use the truck as an everyday driver and i'm entering it into a truck pull this weekend thought a locker might help sounds like i should just leave it alone. i talked to a kid who has it on a switch to lock it just for the pull then shuts it off would a locking rear help? is it better then limited slip.
Old 08-31-2010, 01:44 PM   #8 (permalink)

Well it all depends on the traction surface. A locker will ensure both wheels are turning an is going to be much more reliable than a limited slip, i suppose that may help you in a pull. However, it adds stress to your axle, gears etc. so beware of that. If you get a locker it sounds like a selectable is the way to go for your application. I suggest ARB air locker, but also check out OX.
Old 08-31-2010, 03:54 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (52)
Very happy with my truetrac...
01 F-250 SC PSD,260k,16 Isspro Gauges, AFE-2,CCV Mod,IAH delete,map reg,Modded H2e, 6.0 IC, 230/100 from P.I.S, Studs, 910 springs, Forged rods, Water injection,Swamps Tuning and IDM, MBRP 4" dual's, Aero, 6" tip's, 4" Revtek lift, 37/12.5/16.5 MT's
Joe
CSIPSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.