How many Ft/lbs do we need to win the mod class/run low 10 sec quarter mile times? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2006, 05:45 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How many Ft/lbs do we need to win the mod class/run low 10 sec quarter mile times?

One of our beloved moderators, Teamroper60, was helping me understand how important torque was since I have such a hard time with it, but for some reason decided to stop explaining it to me part-way through our pm's.

I had intended to stay off of the forums, but I still don't understand this.

The problem for me, is that I think we were making progress, but he left one particular question unanswered for me.

I asked how much torque is required to be competitive in, and to win the mod pulling class that as of yet, no true powerstroke has even had half a chance in.

I am only asking, because if someone can just figure how much we need, then we can have something to shoot for.

For instance. Lets say we all decided that if we could just get a powerstroke to make 10,000ft/lbs of torque, that we would surely win the mod class.

For instance, if 10,000ft/lbs was deemed sufficient to win.....we could just take a powerstroke making 1000ft/lbs (easily done on stock rods) and simply put a 10:1 planetary gear reduction box bolted to the crankshaft between the engine and the transmission. That way we would have 10,000ft/lbs of torque going directly into the transmission.

Don't y'all think that would work? Or do we need more than 10,000ft/lbs of torque?

I don't know.

We could do a 10:1 planetary box into another 10:1 planetary box and have 100,000ft/lbs of torque on tap.

Do y'all think that would win the mod class?

Is 100,000ft/lbs enough to win? I don't know, I've never pulled. I do think it's strange that the other trucks in the mod class hardly even make 1500ft/lbs though? Why does it seem like we need so much more torque than them?

[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2006, 06:02 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (11)
Re: How many Ft/lbs do we need to win the mod class/run low 10 sec quarter mile times?

You can make 1,000,000 lbft to the wheels, but if you can't turn that into some serious wheel speed, you will not win pulling or dragging.

You need to think HP not Torque.

Remember, both sports are racing. In drag racing, you are racing a competitor and the clock, in pulling, your racing that weight box.

Good chance you've opened a can of worms. Enjoy them.

Hybrid, meet Hybrid-away. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]

This may be good.

Plenty of posts about torque, to many actually. do a search, and get ready for the long posts I am sure will follow. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/phoney.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Take care,

Dave

Never argue with stupid people. They just drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.
Grinder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2006, 06:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Re: How many Ft/lbs do we need to win the mod class/run low 10 sec quarter mile times?

Grinder,

It was a rhetorical question.

Hybrid is entirely aware that hp is required, not torque.

He just wants to keep discussing the topic for some reason.

Hybrid, some will never understand. You have made your point repeatedly. If they don't get it, who the hell cares?

Built motor. Homemade "Big Oil", GT42R Big frame turbo. Rods and junk to keep it all together.

http://community.webshots.com/myphot...ecurity=MuSLdj
Suns_PSD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2006, 06:43 PM   #4 (permalink)

Well, unfortunately I've had it wrong this whole time. Now if we could just figure out how many ft/lbs we need to win the mod class or even how much to run 10's in the 1/4 mile, then I will personally just get the guys over at SCS to build us some planetary drive reduction boxes and we can have exactly the torque value that we need.

Just need to know a number in simple ft/lbs and we can start making the boxes. Seriously. No need to get all complicated. Lets just make some torque.

To start, I'll see if I can get them started on a 100:1 and a 10:1 box just to try. That way even if the 100,000ft/lbs from the 100:1 box doesn't go full pull, then we can put the 10:1 behind it for 1,000,000ft/lbs of torque [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] .

Now who could argue with 1 million ft/lbs of torque? Seriously. What's gonna slow that down?
Old 09-20-2006, 07:25 PM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)

What's gonna slow that down?

Lack of traction! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif[/img]
Old 09-20-2006, 07:34 PM   #6 (permalink)

So how do you get enough traction to harness all that force then? Are you saying that was too much torque, and it will never get a hook?

I can see where 1 million ft/lbs might be overkill. So what about 10,000ft/lbs with the 10:1 planetary box? Could you get it to hook up and run away with the sled then?
Old 09-20-2006, 08:04 PM   #7 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
You can make 1,000,000 lbft to the wheels, but if you can't turn that into some serious wheel speed, you will not win pulling or dragging.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to agree with grinder, if you have 10,000 ft lbs of torque but you cant get it to the ground in terms of wheel speed, then your not going to win anything, watch the alcohol pullling tractors for example, like silver bullet or the roberts boys from r and l carriers and watch there wheel speed.you.ll be amazed if i remember right jordan from silver bullett runs 300 + mph dont bash if im wrong but im almost positive thats what he told me. i should have asked him last week when i spoke to him.
2002 F-350 4wd psd. hx 48 turbo, single shot injectors, dual stage nitrous, 4 inch duals, 3 pos custom tuned dp chip,ccv mod, aih delete mod,itp regulated return, oil crossover line, sp diesel 10 level kit, afe stage 2 cold air kit, and many other mods and inventions made to engine. monstorbox tranny,triple disc tq, ladder bars, 4 inch susp lift, dick cepek tires on american racing rims and beadlocks, Ford AIC, Auto Enguinity.Billet Badges, custom badges.F-444 Gettin' Stroked

White 2-180 3208 cat
Massey Ferguson 35 3 cyl perkins
Massey Ferguson 6180 6 cyl perkins
Massey Ferguson 255 4 cyl perkins
Massey Ferguson 65 4 cyl perkins
Agco LT-75 4 cyl Cummins
Case 1845C Skid Steer 4 cyl cummins
Case 580 construction King Backhoe 4 cyl case
1986 F-250 6.9 IDI 4x4 265,000 miles *sold*
1994 4wd f-250 ext cab psd
2180 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2006, 08:15 PM   #8 (permalink)

I don't understand what speed has to do with it? Now you're trying to complicate things by saying you have to make the torque and still spin fast.

What does speed have to do with it? keep it simple. How much torque do we need to beat the cummins motors in the mod class?

How many ft/lbs? With planetary gear boxes we can make however much you want.

Why would it matter how fast it was turning as long as it made 10,000ft/lbs to the tranny?

Old 09-20-2006, 08:23 PM   #9 (permalink)

give it up , no one cares
<span style="color: #FF0000">#18</span> not all trucks are created equal

THE COWBOY'S CADILLAC,<span style="color: #FF0000">my pics.</span>, 96 F-350 XLT SC DRW PSD, 4x4 conversion(D60),more oil than you, auto tranny by faubion motorsports, tuned by a backwoods hack(thanks tony), 230cc injectors, D66 turbo, head studs, 910 valvesprings, open element intake, homebuilt fuel system, 3-4"DP, intercooler with homemade spider and piping, 5" chrome stacks with turnouts, front hitch(for my weight bar), member of the <span style="color: #FF0000">WNYPA</span>

on the way: more power
bullridin_fool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-20-2006, 08:26 PM   #10 (permalink)

You have to get the power to the ground, and if you have 10,000 ft lbs of torque and you pull the sled at 1 mph, and if you have 1,000 ft lbs of torque and you pull the sled at for example 30 to 40 mph you will make it farther with the 1,000 ft lbs of torque, bottom line is you can have all the hp and torque you want but if you cant get it to the ground and have momentum then your going no where pulling.
2002 F-350 4wd psd. hx 48 turbo, single shot injectors, dual stage nitrous, 4 inch duals, 3 pos custom tuned dp chip,ccv mod, aih delete mod,itp regulated return, oil crossover line, sp diesel 10 level kit, afe stage 2 cold air kit, and many other mods and inventions made to engine. monstorbox tranny,triple disc tq, ladder bars, 4 inch susp lift, dick cepek tires on american racing rims and beadlocks, Ford AIC, Auto Enguinity.Billet Badges, custom badges.F-444 Gettin' Stroked

White 2-180 3208 cat
Agco LT-75 4 cyl Cummins
Old 09-20-2006, 08:27 PM   #11 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
give it up , no one cares

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you some people never learn.

White 2-180 3208 cat
Agco LT-75 4 cyl Cummins
Old 09-20-2006, 08:40 PM   #12 (permalink)

I never ran across so many people spending thousands upon thousands of dollars on something they just don't care about.

All I ask is for someone to quantify just exactly how many ft/lbs we need to win [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img] . I have learned a few things lately. One being that power is ficticious, it's just something made up by some guy talking about horses. You cannot even measure it.

But mainly, I have learned that the only real, measurable value is torque. Engines make torque, not power. Power is what dynos measure. And he with the most torque wins.

I just wondered why we didn't think of this before we spent so much money on all of these engines when we could have just used an off-the-shelf reduction box, and made multiple times the output torque right from the start.

Why is it wrong to ask how many ft/lbs we need? And why on earth have we waited so long to make the torque we need to win?

It just doesn't make sense. Am I missing something here? I don't think so.

On Edit:

If it's speed you want, then do the 10:1 box at the crank to give you over 10,000ft/lbs on most engines, and then just run a really tall axle gear to get the speed you need. Or put bigger tires on it.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:44 PM   #13 (permalink)

Missing wheel speed

White 2-180 3208 cat
Agco LT-75 4 cyl Cummins
Old 09-20-2006, 08:47 PM   #14 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]

On Edit:

If it's speed you want, then do the 10:1 box at the crank to give you over 10,000ft/lbs on most engines, and then just run a really tall axle gear to get the speed you need. Or put bigger tires on it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I guess I should have just done another post for that. That should get the speed back out of it.
Old 09-20-2006, 08:52 PM   #15 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)
Send a message via ICQ to Fever

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand what speed has to do with it? Now you're trying to complicate things by saying you have to make the torque and still spin fast.

What does speed have to do with it? keep it simple. How much torque do we need to beat the cummins motors in the mod class?

How many ft/lbs? With planetary gear boxes we can make however much you want.

Why would it matter how fast it was turning as long as it made 10,000ft/lbs to the tranny?

[/ QUOTE ]

Your posted question was two-fold

to run 10 second quarter mile times with your drivetrain spinning at 1/10,000 of it's normal speed you're going to have an awful hard time achieving any speed...

for pulling...your theory makes sense to me mathematically, however you'd have to multiply your traction by 10,000 to make up for the extra tq right?...by the time you were done you'd have one of those CAT dump trucks from the large gravel pits that you see on Mega-Machines and hell yeah it would win in any pulling competition!..but what would be the point?...It would be like bringing a tank to a paintball fight..
DP Tuner F-5 (60T/80E/120R/Hi-Idle),
ISSPro A-Pilar Guages (Pyro/Boost/Trans Temp),
Powerslot Cryo Rotors/Hawk LTS pads,
285/75-16 Yokohama GeoLander A/T II Tires,
Tekonsha Prodigy Brake Controller

2006 Sunset Creek 269BH Travel Trailer
Fever is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.