How much boost can the stock engine/turbo handle before go kaboom! - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine

'99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2006, 10:57 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How much boost can the stock engine/turbo handle before go kaboom!

Hi guys

I have a question how much boost can the engine handle before blewing up? Can you guys list the specific engine parts and how much pressure they can withstand before blowing up such as head gaskets, head studs, push rods etc...... add to the list.

Thanks,
Andy
Advertisement

Old 06-29-2006, 11:07 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: How much boost can the stock engine/turbo handle before go kaboom!

Might as well ask why women think like they do. Nobody knows [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 06-29-2006, 11:35 PM   #3 (permalink)

I assumed with a lot these guys that have had a little experienced building and breaking high hp engines would know what parts break at what boost levels... I guess I am wrong [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

-Andy
Old 06-29-2006, 11:49 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

Well, the reason it's not that simple is because you can make a VERY wide range of different cylinder pressures at any given boost. And you can make similar cylinder pressures at the same boost.

And since cylinder pressures determine when things "pop" not boost, it's a crap shoot no doubt.

As for the turbo itself, it's speced out at 25lbs. I personally say 27 max sustained use, and some will say higher, pick your poison.

As for the engine..........who knows what boost pressure......or cylinder pressure for that matter where it will say enough.

You're going to have a hard time getting enough air in the engine with that stock turbo to pop a gasket though.(assuming no drugs)

On Edit:

With stock injectors, you'd REALLY have to play your cards right to pop a motor. Like horrendous timing and maybe a pre-existing problem
Old 06-30-2006, 12:12 AM   #5 (permalink)

Reason I am asking because I was thinking about getting the QASB turbo or the QSSb turbo from WOP and I wanted to know I would be endangering anyhting with my current setup?

Thanks,
Andrew
Old 06-30-2006, 12:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

You should be fine especially because that turbo has very low back pressure. If anything I would say that that turbo is probably going to be easier on a motor with stock injectors than the stock turbo is.

Black 2006 F250 Crew cab short bed lariat 2wd stock 120 miles as of 4/17/07
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...01105611ywYxeQ
thedieselkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2006, 12:42 AM   #7 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
You should be fine especially because that turbo has very low back pressure. If anything I would say that that turbo is probably going to be easier on a motor with stock injectors than the stock turbo is.

[/ QUOTE ]

What would you do I have roughly $4,000 to play with. Should I strengthen the engine or add more power? Give me a list you would do to take me to the next step [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

Thanks,
Andy
Old 06-30-2006, 01:35 AM   #8 (permalink)

The turbo would be a good choice, I would also talk with somebody that sell a 6 position chip such as DP tuner. You may want to get a shift kit and a bigger tranny cooler. or you could get a small set of injectors, and the turbo. Maby big oil instead, there are alot of things that could be done. But I do think that the turbo would be a wise choice. I wish I had put a larger turbo on before I did any mods. My stock turbo is pretty much dead now, and I spent the extra money on my four wheeler project not too long ago. But I do think that the turbo would be a good mod, and it would allow you to go more extreme later on, if you choose.

Black 2006 F250 Crew cab short bed lariat 2wd stock 120 miles as of 4/17/07
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo...01105611ywYxeQ
thedieselkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2006, 07:00 AM   #9 (permalink)

You should actually make less boost going to one of the H2E-ish turbos. So popping a gasket simply by going to a larger charger when you're running stock AD's shouldn't be an issue. The larger turbo should actually spool less. Depending on what boost you're running now, it should make more power because it will be moving more air mass with that boost because the intake air will be more dense, but I would expect the actual pressure to go down.

If you're really concerned you can always put studs in a motor. After I popped my original motor's headgasket I threw studs in the next one before it went in even though I was just running AD's for about 6 months.

Do studs turbo and a fuel system.

That should round out about 4k nicely and have you all set for some serious power when you're ready to do injectors and or oil later.

That way your efficiency and safety margin will be as high as it can be on stock rods and gaskets.

That's what I did.

Good Luck
Old 06-30-2006, 10:43 AM   #10 (permalink)

cylinder pressures pop head gaskets, not boost pressures.

cylinder pressures go up primarily because of injector timing.

If it don't run, chrome it.
drmiller100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-30-2006, 10:45 AM   #11 (permalink)

Isn't that what Hybrid said?
Old 06-30-2006, 03:20 PM   #12 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
The turbo would be a good choice, I would also talk with somebody that sell a 6 position chip such as DP tuner. You may want to get a shift kit and a bigger tranny cooler. or you could get a small set of injectors, and the turbo. Maby big oil instead, there are alot of things that could be done. But I do think that the turbo would be a wise choice. I wish I had put a larger turbo on before I did any mods. My stock turbo is pretty much dead now, and I spent the extra money on my four wheeler project not too long ago. But I do think that the turbo would be a good mod, and it would allow you to go more extreme later on, if you choose.

[/ QUOTE ]

How about the trans will it last with the big turbo? Also is there any danger of breaking the push rods, or rocker arms? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif[/img]

Thanks,
Andrew
Old 06-30-2006, 03:27 PM   #13 (permalink)

Are you installing injectors too???

Cause if not, your boost is going down, not up with a larger turbo.

Your pushrods and rockers should be okay (no valve to piston contact) to 40lbs or so with pretty good confidence. After that, it's hit or miss [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img], pun intended.

Good Luck
Old 06-30-2006, 05:10 PM   #14 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]

Your pushrods and rockers should be okay (no valve to piston contact) to 40lbs or so with pretty good confidence. After that, it's hit or miss [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img], pun intended.

Good Luck

[/ QUOTE ]

No injectors so my boost goes down but my horsepower goes up right? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]

Thanks,
Andrew
Old 06-30-2006, 08:20 PM   #15 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Good Luck

[/ QUOTE ]

No injectors so my boost goes down but my horsepower goes up right? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]

Thanks,
Andrew

[/ QUOTE ]

Without more fuel you will not make more power no matter how much boost you run. A turbo with less drive pressure will free up some residual hp from lower backpressure, but we're talking low numbers (barely noticable) on an otherwise stock engine. With that size turbo you could go with larger injectors and a pretty hot program, but your conecting rods are only going to be good to around 400hp (assuming you have Powdered Metal rods)

If you're experiencing high EGT's now then a turbo is probably a good idea. But with stock injectors you're not going reach the potential of that turbo or be in danger of "popping" anything as long as you keep the timing reasonable.
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.