The Diesel Stop banner

Which Intercooler upgrade will best help lower my EGT's while towing?

21K views 126 replies 36 participants last post by  POWERSTROKE RACER 
#1 ·
I'm trying to figure out which modification will best help drop my EGT's while towing my 30' 5th Wheeler (10,000 lbs.). Along flat terrain I can hum along comfortably at 75-80 mph with EGT's hanging around 900 or so /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. When I go to places like the Black Hills my EGT's climb quickly. I know this can be expected while climbing hills and pulling a camper. But should I go the cheaper route and install the 6.0 intercooler, the more expensive banks techni-cooler ($1,250) or the even more expensive Dieselsite high performance intercooler ($1700). I would like to lower my EGT's by at least 100-200 degrees if possible. I feel the engine still wanting to produce more power but I have to back off because of the EGT's. The van turbo definitely helped lower my EGT's compared to the stock turbo (approx. 150 degrees) - but what upgrade should be next? Thanks in advance.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

See less See more
#3 ·
I have the Spearco 6.0 IC from BWD. The Spearco 7.3 unit is also very nice and costs the same. (I'll sell you a standard 6.0 IC cheap but I don't think it will get you what you are looking for.) The DI IC is also a good unit. Cost for the BWD units are $1400 plus shipping. You won't be sorry.

DZ

#4 ·
DZacc, what all has to be modified to get the 6.0 spearco to fit. Have you knoticed a drop in egts with it over the stock 6.0 cooler. What could I expect in dropped egt's from a stock cooler to the spearce 6.0 unit.

#5 ·
I like my Big DIIC, and my wife likes it too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif. She drove most of the way home from CO and never worried about EGT's.

#6 ·
I've been very happy with my 7.3 Spearco. It dropped EGT's a good 100-150 degrees over the stock 6.0 I had in there. I don't know however how it compares to the 6.0 Spearco. I was talking to Bunting about it this weekend while in CO, and trying to get him to do some tests on differences between the two. But what he was saying is there's probably a point where the larger 6.0 cooler will see a benefit over the 7.3, but at what HP or air flow rate does that happen?

#8 ·
you could also do the hypermax tapercore.

#9 ·
[ QUOTE ]
DZacc, what all has to be modified to get the 6.0 spearco to fit. Have you knoticed a drop in egts with it over the stock 6.0 cooler. What could I expect in dropped egt's from a stock cooler to the spearce 6.0 unit.

[/ QUOTE ]

It drops right in, tight as can be. You just bolt it in and cut a 4" piece of the intercooler tube that comes with the IC. Use that to extend the cold side of your IC tube to the IC. Use the boot and clamps that also come with the IC to couple it up. I removed the radiator for the install.

#10 ·
[ QUOTE ]
I like my Big DIIC, and my wife likes it too /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif. She drove most of the way home from CO and never worried about EGT's.

[/ QUOTE ] /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif Lets stick to the topic Joey /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif lol

#11 ·
I'm very happy with my Hypermax Tapercore, but it is a little pricey

#14 ·
i put the banks 6.0 in my 7.3 fit great

#16 ·
[ QUOTE ]
I'm trying to figure out which modification will best help drop my EGT's while towing my 30' 5th Wheeler (10,000 lbs.). Along flat terrain I can hum along comfortably at 75-80 mph with EGT's hanging around 900 or so /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif. When I go to places like the Black Hills my EGT's climb quickly. I know this can be expected while climbing hills and pulling a camper. But should I go the cheaper route and install the 6.0 intercooler, the more expensive banks techni-cooler ($1,250) or the even more expensive Dieselsite high performance intercooler ($1700). I would like to lower my EGT's by at least 100-200 degrees if possible. I feel the engine still wanting to produce more power but I have to back off because of the EGT's. The van turbo definitely helped lower my EGT's compared to the stock turbo (approx. 150 degrees) - but what upgrade should be next? Thanks in advance.... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

WB-

If you want to drag race with your camper, get the one DI has made for them.

If you tow, get the Spearco unit. Other members have also used the Tapercore with good results. You could swap in the stock 6.0 for much less $$, but it is still using the stock core technology (as does Banks) and wont be the best choice. You should notice quicker spool up, and the boost drop across the core is less than one PSI at 150 PSI boost. If you happen to crash your truck within one year of purchase, and the intercooler is damaged, Spearco will replace it. Something to consider.

#17 ·
Take a look at the Banks 6.0L cooler kit with our kit to fit the 7.3L. We think its the most cooler kit for the cost. Scroll down this page to see it. http://www.dieselpowerproducts.com/air

#18 ·
[ QUOTE ]
If you happen to crash your truck within one year of purchase, and the intercooler is damaged, Spearco will replace it. Something to consider.

[/ QUOTE ]
Can't beat that warranty.
Wonder if insurance still gives you the money for the broken intercooler to be replaced /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif JK

#19 ·
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL!!

[ QUOTE ]

You could swap in the stock 6.0 for much less $$, but it is still using the stock core technology (as does Banks) and wont be the best choice. You should notice quicker spool up, and the boost drop across the core is less than one PSI at 150 PSI boost. If you happen to crash your truck within one year of purchase, and the intercooler is damaged, Spearco will replace it. Something to consider.

[/ QUOTE ]

I noticed a lot quicker spool with my 7.3 Spearco versus the 6.0 stock.

BB - have you or Spearco actually tested the IC at 150 PSI of boost?

#20 ·
[ QUOTE ]
If you want to drag race with your camper, get the one DI has made for them

[/ QUOTE ]
What does racing or towing have to do with it.
You either purchase the best money can buy or you don't.
There have been numerous test done on the DIIC that proves it's the BEST IC available for the 7.3.

#21 ·
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The offer still stands Brian, send me your Biggest 6.0 Spearco and I will test it with the same process that I tested the 7.3 DIIC with. Who knows which one will come out on top...I can retest the DIIC again (same day) just before the Spearco. The members would appreciate a fair evaluation of the two Hottest IC's on the market.

#22 ·
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

The offer still stands Brian, send me your Biggest 6.0 Spearco and I will test it with the same process that I tested the 7.3 DIIC with. Who knows which one will come out on top...I can retest the DIIC again (same day) just before the Spearco. The members would appreciate a fair evaluation of the two Hottest IC's on the market.

[/ QUOTE ]

Mike

We have one here that we will slap back in and video it and post-we already know the results....and I'll assume that when the Spearco proves better you will be purchasing it?

#24 ·
[ QUOTE ]
HMMMM wonder what IC the quickest and fastest Power Stroke uses?

[/ QUOTE ]

Hellman Performance.

#26 ·
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Mike

We have one here that we will slap back in and video it and post-we already know the results. ...and I'll assume that when the Spearco proves better you will be purchasing it?

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
BTW-

We have a never installed DIIC for sale-cheap! PM Freddyfast for pricing....can ship today.

[/ QUOTE ]

So which is it,You tested the DIIC and found what compared to the spearcopy or you did not test it for fear it would make your spearcopy look bad?????

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.