ITP Diesel Regulated Fuel Kit + Single Shots? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2006, 10:55 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (12)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
ITP Diesel Regulated Fuel Kit + Single Shots?

Has anyone tried this combination?

Okay, here's the low down.

I had Dyno Mite Diesel Performance install a Hight Tech Turbo HTPS Turbo, converted my injectors to single shots, got a chip to run the single shots from Jody at DP Tuner. The truck ran fine, and pulled about 350hp at Dyno Mite's dyno.

I finally got around to installing my regulated return fuel kit from Dennis at ITP. Now, there's a pretty severe romp when the truck is idling.

Is the fuel kit and single shot injectors compatible?

The truck was running fine before....now...eh....it's going back to Dyno Mite for another look this friday.

But before then, any suggestions for feedback?

I double checked all my lines, and there aren't any leaks.

I set the fuel pressure to 62 psi, and the factory fuel pump seems to keep up just fine....dropping to about 58psi when I'm totally on it. (I have an Autometer fuel pressure gauge on the inside of my truck.)

So.....what next?
40" Toyo MT's, KMC XD Rockstar 20x12, 12" Lift, Donahoe Racing Signiture Resevoirs, PSC Hydraulic Assist with X-Over Steering, Dynatrac Superduty Combo Kit, Velvet ride Shackles, 4.11 Yukon Gears, Dana 80 Swap with ARB Locker, SSBC V10 8 Piston Caliper Brakes, SBC DD Pulling Clutch, Custom 5" Turbo Back Straight Pipe, Autometer Ultra Lites, Line X, Warn Hubs, AMP Research Power Steps, Retrax Tonneau, Blitz TT, Kenwood System w/JL12W6, 6000K HIDs, Flames by KC Customs, Road Armor Bumpers Front and Rear with PIAAs and Hellas.

MOTOR SWAP COMPLETE!

2003 Cummins ISBe Common Rail - ARP Studs, VGT Twin setup, ATS 3-piece, Smarty Programmer, Edge EZ, F1 Diesel Flux 2 Sticks and Cam, Floor It Diesel Stage 2 CP3.

My Truck Pics -

http://www.truckblog.com/drspeed- Writer and Photographer
DrSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2006, 11:08 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Re: ITP Diesel Regulated Fuel Kit + Single Shots?

I have had the ITP kit for 3 years with my single shots. The only time it ever romped was when i removed my leaking HX line for a week then reinstalled it. It romped for a week. Then just stopped [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
I thought everyone was running the fuel around 50psi [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]
Did you try disconnecting the batteries and reseting the pcm?

91 mustang 351 turbo roadracer

My Photos
NEVRNF is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2006, 11:17 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)

Do you still have the check valves in the heads?

Set the fuel pressure to about 72 at the regulator if you do and about 68 at the regulator if you don't.

FOMOGO

2001 F-250 XL standard cab, beater, hauling trash... Stock except for a 60 horse flash...
304hp and 617 tq on Dunbars Dyno

2001 F-250 Xl Standard cab, project truck...

Custom Tunes by DP-Tuner, Custom Fuel System by ITP Diesel, Custom Trans by BTS

Ford Makes It - International Shakes It
Dubco1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2006, 11:59 AM   #4 (permalink)

NEVRNF -

I have the HX line installed as well. Should I go pull it out, or cap it off to see if that's causing the problem? It's a brand new one from DI, which I isntalled at the same time since all my IC tubing was out of the way.

FOMOGO -

The check valves are gone. I'll up the pressure to 72 psi and go for a spin. Dennis's instructions say 60-65, so I kept it in the middle.

Thanks for the feedback.
40" Toyo MT's, KMC XD Rockstar 20x12, 12" Lift, Donahoe Racing Signiture Resevoirs, PSC Hydraulic Assist with X-Over Steering, Dynatrac Superduty Combo Kit, Velvet ride Shackles, 4.11 Yukon Gears, Dana 80 Swap with ARB Locker, SSBC V10 8 Piston Caliper Brakes, SBC DD Pulling Clutch, Custom 5" Turbo Back Straight Pipe, Autometer Ultra Lites, Line X, Warn Hubs, AMP Research Power Steps, Retrax Tonneau, Blitz TT, Kenwood System w/JL12W6, 6000K HIDs, Flames by KC Customs, Road Armor Bumpers Front and Rear with PIAAs and Hellas.

MOTOR SWAP COMPLETE!

2003 Cummins ISBe Common Rail - ARP Studs, VGT Twin setup, ATS 3-piece, Smarty Programmer, Edge EZ, F1 Diesel Flux 2 Sticks and Cam, Floor It Diesel Stage 2 CP3.

My Truck Pics -

Old 04-25-2006, 01:17 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

How many miles have you put on the truck since completing the fuel system? Maybe it just needs to have the air worked out of the lines? Did you do any of the intank mods as well? How full is your fuel tank?

The HX really needs to be burped as well. Just drive the crap out of it and see if it finally settles down. Sorry to state the easy obvious stuff, but sometimes it is the obvious that gets overlooked.
Kanman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-25-2006, 01:36 PM   #6 (permalink)

i've driven the truck for over 1 hour, and put on about 45 miles....I've driven the snot out of the rig, pinning the throttle a few times. still can't figure out the reason.

I put the HX line in at the same time. If I remove it, do you think that'll change anything?

MOTOR SWAP COMPLETE!

My Truck Pics -

Old 04-25-2006, 01:52 PM   #7 (permalink)

I doubt the HX line is the problem. I didn't bother burping mine, but i Have heard other folks recommending doing so.

My money is on a nasty air bubble in your system somewhere. I ran my truck out of fuel a few weeks ago (yes i did lol my fuel gauge/sender unit is broke [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]) once i finally got it refilled. The dang thing ran like hell for an hour. I would bet my fuel lines weren't not half as empty as yours were.
Old 04-25-2006, 01:58 PM   #8 (permalink)

hmm...i'll drive it a little more...but there's no sign of improvement.

I did have to remove the fuel filter bowl altogether to install the required fittings.

At the same time, I replace the (hella dirty) fuel filter. I primed the system with a few key on cycles, and it took a good crank to get the truck going.

I'll drive it to the shop tonight...and hopefully it'll get better.

It feels like there's air in the system, but I need to figure out a way to purge the sonuvagun!

MOTOR SWAP COMPLETE!

My Truck Pics -

Old 04-27-2006, 01:22 AM   #9 (permalink)

You did a lot in one day which all could have an effect. If there is air in the HX line or the oil or fuel rails, it will romp until it clears. It may take a while. I have the check valves, the regulated return and single shots with a three program flip chip from Jody and my truck runs excellent. Extremely smooth. I have the pressure at 72psi.

Rich

"Personal responsibility is the price of Freedom." -- Michael Cloud
RichS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-27-2006, 10:57 AM   #10 (permalink)

Yeah, I'm thinking about removing the HX hose (cap the end of the JIC fittings - I have the one from DI).

I know the truck was running fine when I picked it up from DDP on Saturday. On Sunday, I tore into the fuel system, and did the HX mod.

The truck is getting a new clutch right now (dual disc from SBC). I'll cap the ends off, and drive home, and see if that cures the romp. (it's about an 80 mi drive.)

otherwise....the fuel system is coming out again for troubleshooting!!!! URG....why can't this **** just ****ing work!!!! AHHHHHH!!!

this is when I wish I could catch a break....=/

MOTOR SWAP COMPLETE!

My Truck Pics -

Old 04-29-2006, 07:29 AM   #11 (permalink)

If there's oil in the HP oil rails, then removing the HX won't clear it. You will still have to drive it to clear out any air. My engine runs smoother with the HX line. I have it off right now and I can tell a difference.

The HP oil system is a low flow/high pressure system, so it may take a while to clear it.

Rich

"Personal responsibility is the price of Freedom." -- Michael Cloud
RichS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2006, 11:37 AM   #12 (permalink)

I think it's finally cleared out. Dang near took about 200 miles or so!!!

MOTOR SWAP COMPLETE!

My Truck Pics -

Old 05-03-2006, 03:50 PM   #13 (permalink)

Good to hear, did you end up pulling the hx line or not? Was it just air in the fuel system after all?

Bean's Performance Turbo, DJ's SCT Xcal ,AFE Stage 2, Dual 4" Stright Pipe to 6 x 22 inch Tips, BD X monitor, 4" Cage OffRoad Lift, 35" PJ Dirt Grips, 2" Spacers On Rear Duallys, ect. ...

2001 F250 PSD CC 4x4 Lariat

TS 4 Pos Fuel 7, Water/Meth Injection, AIH, Cyclone Power Fan, Tymar Intake, 5R100 Converter, Transgo Shiftkit, 3.5 dp 4 inch stright Pipe to a 6 x 24 Inch Rolled tip, BD Xmonitor, BD Pressurloc, Detroit Locker in rear, 16 x 10 rims with 305/70/R16 BFG M/T.....Sold
henryhill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-03-2006, 03:57 PM   #14 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
I think it's finally cleared out. Dang near took about 200 miles or so!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

WoW that took 4 ever. That baby must had a big burp. Glad to hear its better now
Old 05-03-2006, 04:54 PM   #15 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)

I have run my singles about 300 miles with no issues, the hx has been on it all along. My reg return goes on this weekend while the trans is out, will see if it causes any problems. I really can't see how it would. Sounds more like a programming issue.

69 mustang, 472", c/4
9 sec alky injected bracket bomber....

529" in the works as we speak
Richter69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.