Low Fuel Milage with 7.3. Upgrades? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2005, 06:24 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Low Fuel Milage with 7.3. Upgrades?

I am new to the 7.3 Powerstroke. I have a 2002 F350 4x4 Crewcab. I tow, plow, some highway, and local driving. I keep being told that I should be around 20+ mpg & have herd of some at 23. Currently I am getting about 12 (the best I have gotten was 15). When I tow or plow, it drops into the single numbers.

I was told it already has the 4" exhaust and turbo upgrade (don't know about the chip). I put in a K&N Filter when I got it 3 months ago. I currently have 39K miles.

What can I do to increase the milage? How can I tell if I do have the chip & turbo upgrade? There are no other upgrades and all else is stock.

I am loosing money in fuel [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Thanks for any help.
Jim
(Maine)
jbennett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-15-2005, 11:04 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Low Fuel Milage with 7.3. Upgrades?

My last tank I got 16.2mpg. Don't forget your running winter fuel. You might want to get a different air box. Alot of people don't like the K&N filter. You can make your own for under $50. Make sure your doing the mileage by hand and not the overhead. Try and keep your rpms under 2000 to increase mpg. As for the chip and turbo I don't know.

Good Luck,
Butch
Old 03-15-2005, 11:30 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (2)

Winter fuel and cold weather is killer on fuel mileage. In my experience the intake and exhaust does absolutely nothing to help fuel mileage. In fact I think in some cases it can actually decrease it. The only thing that has helped my truck gain fuel economy so far has been a TS chip. Gained me at least 2 mpg and maybe a little more.

My truck struggled (if i drove it like a little old lady) to get 14, more like 13.6. And now it is working on a little better than 16 no matter how hard I drive it. Before when I towed I could easily drop down to sub 9 mpg running 75 on the interstate. Does much better these days with the chip.

I would seriously look into getting a mild chip 40 - 80 hp max (no more) if you tow often. I will soon be getting rid of the 100 hp and 144 off road setting IF I CANT LEARN TO CONTROL MYSELF [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img] and drop down to no more than an 80 hp max. Just way to tempting to me.
Kanman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2005, 01:09 AM   #4 (permalink)

I swear to god, someone posted in here..not too long ago
their 7.3L got 26 mpg, when i ask...this is what they indicated to me
1...lower your truck
2....install a bigger exhaul
3.....install performance chip
4......install a smaller tires
5....... install a spoiler

please! don't take my words for it.
please let me know when your truck get 26 mpg....call me

globey
Old 03-16-2005, 07:23 AM   #5 (permalink)

If i can get 26, with all the money I'll save.......
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/warmsmile.gif[/img]

I would be happy with 20. How can I check to see if any of the stuff has really been done? How can I check the chip? I would like more torque, but my main goal would be better milage, and not loosing what i have so far if thats possible.

Jim
Old 03-16-2005, 08:34 AM   #6 (permalink)

A programmer or chip in the tow setting would most likely yield you the most mpg savings.

A programmer such as the Edge Evolution will help a lot. What you have done so far Exhaust and intake has no impact on fuel mpg gains. They help the Engine breath better and lower your EGTs.

Lowering the truck creates less drag, which yields better economy.

Changing your rear end gears to taller ones will do the same.

Big tires will work against your mpg gains, and so does a heavy right foot.

Let me know if I can be of any help!
wildbill1963 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2005, 08:47 AM   #7 (permalink)
jzt

I was using my autotap software on one of my recent trips, and I noticed that one of the parameters that I happened to be monitoring was the "mass fuel desired"...one thing that caught me off guard was that if I kept the cruise set on 75, then I had better fuel mileage than at 65...maybe someone can chime in here on this morsel and give some insight as to why this would be the case.
99.5 F250 XCAB SB LARIAT, 4X4, Diablosport 4 Bank Delta Flip Chip, Fuel Pressure "BB" Shim, Boost Blow-off Valve, Autometer Guages in A Pilar Pod: Boost, Pre-Turbo Pyro, Tranny Temp, HX Crossover, Air Intake Heater Delete, EBPV Gutted, Whicked Wheel, AFE Stage II Intake, 4" non-muffled all the way back, 203Deg T-Stat, Zoodad, In-Tank and Pre-Pump Mods, De-Wastegated, Torque Converter Lockup, CCV Mod, Acetone Badges, EOT Mod, Pro Comp Suspension Leveling Kit, 305 70R16 Goodyear Wrangler MTR, ARE Bed Cover with Stainless Steel Bed Rails, Stainless Steel Grill Insert, GALAXY 99V CB with a little "CUSTOM TUNING" (90 WATT Swing), 400 Watt Palimar "BLACK BOX" (now pushing 650 Watts for when I'm feeling a little cocky!!)
jzt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2005, 09:33 AM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (20)

I have been searching for mileage myself, thats one of the reasons I got a 6-speed.

Anyway I have the ford upgraded intake, the 10K mod, cut AIH, and Bully Dog outlook Monitor. From my experience the intake didn't seem to help MPG but it cleans MUCH better, ditch the K&amp;N. The 10K mod gave no noticeable increase in MPG, but did get me more power. The cut AIH was easy, free, and gave me 1MPG. Of course the Outlook doesn't increase mileage by itself, but just like gauges it helps me monitor the EGTs and keep them low, which can help MPG and of course helps longevity.

I will be sending in my ECM to Jody Tipton next week to get a 80 HP flash that will give me a boost in power and MPG. Several on this board have claimed upwards of 4MPG increases from some of Jody's burns. I will be ditching the 10K mod at that time. Other future upgrades will be replacing the tires with 285 Bridgestone Duelers, BTM, Synthetics everywhere, coolant filter, new T-Stat, and a few other things.

I am currently getting a consistant 16.9 MPG, hand calculated and fully expect to reach 20 by summer. Driving style has a huge effect. I keep the cruise set at 2000 RPM, shift before 2000 RPM, keep the EGTs below 600, and coast on any downhill.

These are big things with the aerodynamics of a brick, getting anything over 15 mpg is pretty damn impressive. Unfortunately the 7.3L is not as efficient as the newer engines or some of the competition. I have a friend with a brand new C***y crew cab short bed, its lighter than mine, and he gets a consitant 21 MPG, and has at least one trip with 26. But then I like mine better especially since it has a real front axle and cost $25,000 less [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img], thats a lot of diesel when you only get 4 MPG better. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
thetonka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2005, 09:43 AM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (13)

[ QUOTE ]

Other future upgrades will be replacing the tires with 285 Bridgestone Duelers, BTM, Synthetics everywhere, coolant filter, new T-Stat, and a few other things.

[/ QUOTE ]

Watch out with the 285's. I lost 1mpg for sure with them and maybe a little bit more. I thought they would gear up the truck and when I had the tranny reprogrammed at the dealer, the engine rpm dropped 100rpm at 75mph. But I still lost mpg?? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
REBORN 20 Over on 3/2/11- Pics in Gallary- 2000 F250, Auto, 38r, Full Force 238cc/100%, TE 17* hpop, DP F5,HI,60T,80E,120R,140A, Studs and 910's with DI PR's, ARI TC, JW VB, Walbro 392, TC Lock, Bellowed, In-Tank, Pre-Pump, boost fooler, and RR. Air Dog, SS cover, 6.0 TOC,4" straigt piped and guages, 6637, 203T, coolant filter, 4" Lift on 33's.
kilapapipa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2005, 10:09 AM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (20)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Other future upgrades will be replacing the tires with 285 Bridgestone Duelers, BTM, Synthetics everywhere, coolant filter, new T-Stat, and a few other things.

[/ QUOTE ]

Watch out with the 285's. I lost 1mpg for sure with them and maybe a little bit more. I thought they would gear up the truck and when I had the tranny reprogrammed at the dealer, the engine rpm dropped 100rpm at 75mph. But I still lost mpg?? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I have crappy 285 Wally World POS donut sh!t balls on the truck now. The bridgestones will be a huge upgrade. I had the same tires on my Tahoe and the bridgestones got me better mileage over the same size BFG ATs.
thetonka is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2005, 11:45 AM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (13)

Interesting [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img], maybe it is the altitude or my right foot then.
REBORN 20 Over on 3/2/11- Pics in Gallary- 2000 F250, Auto, 38r, Full Force 238cc/100%, TE 17* hpop, DP F5,HI,60T,80E,120R,140A, Studs and 910's with DI PR's, ARI TC, JW VB, Walbro 392, TC Lock, Bellowed, In-Tank, Pre-Pump, boost fooler, and RR. Air Dog, SS cover, 6.0 TOC,4" straigt piped and guages, 6637, 203T, coolant filter, 4" Lift on 33's.
kilapapipa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2005, 01:21 PM   #12 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img], maybe it is the altitude or my right foot then.

[/ QUOTE ]

I drove from 4200 feet to sea level to see family recently and recorded a 1.2 mpg gain at sea level vs. up here at elevation. I realized they would be sensitive to elevation but didn't think it would make that big of a difference.

Of course, the elevation of the right foot is a big factor. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]

Along with Jody's programming I have heard decent to good mileage gains with the regulated fuel return systems available. Count me in!
2000 F350 7.3L CC/LB 4X4 XLT/6-speed/DP-Tuner/Bean's 1.0 with WW/4" turbo-back exhaust/AIS/Isspro EV's/285-75-16 Goodyear Wrangler PRO-GRADE/LS monotube shocks/Prodigy trailer brake controller/zoodad/leveling kit/All red - what other color would a firefighter have?

2002 F250 7.3L CC/LB 4X4 Lariat/4R100/DP-Tuner/Bean's Van Turbo with WW/Isspro EV's/4 inch lift/285-75-16 Goodyear Wrangler PRO-GRADE/LS monotube shocks/AIS/4" turbo-back exhaust/zoodad/ALL Black - wife's truck

Just because you can, doesn't mean you should!
FireHunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-16-2005, 03:05 PM   #13 (permalink)

There is a lot of mumbo jumbo talk that is confusing me. I just want to get better milage! Help!
Old 03-16-2005, 08:51 PM   #14 (permalink)

Jbennett:
First of all, Wildbill1963 is a wealth of information, I just got into diesel trucks about 5 months ago and I am hooked and this site really is great, have gotten a lot of good advice from people on here.
First question, as you are in Maine and I am in Michigan, do you let your truck warm up for 15-20 minutes every morning? If so, don't plan on getting good gas mileage, especially with any mods. Once I added a programmer, Edge Evolution, my gas mileage was terrible when I let the truck idle to warm up in the morning. So try to limit that as much as possible.

I noticed about a 1mpg increase with the AFE Stage 1 intake. With the Edge Programmer set on the 80hp setting, about 1-2MPG. This is running on the highway at 72mph. That seems to be the magic number on my truck, go much over that and you drop. I am currently getting 17.5-18 with just the two mods I have, running at 72. I have pulled a 1500 lb loaded enclosed snowmobile trailer at 75mph and have gotten 15mpg in a 200 mile trip. Just around town, getting about 14-15MPG. I still have the stock fire junk tires, and another thing i noticed is that I have trouble keeping them full of air, heck, they need 80 lbs or so!! Check that. Oversized tires, from past experience with gas trucks, will kill you.

Run some sort of fuel additive in the winter, it has helped me.
Soon I will be adding a 4" MBRP exhaust system, will let you know what i find.
Old 03-17-2005, 06:00 AM   #15 (permalink)

I know everyone on here has much more knowledge than I do, and I do repsect that, so I appoligize to anyone that I may have offened.

I know a lot about gas engines, modes, large tires, ect. The terminology and stuff is where I get lost with the diesels.

What do the AFE Stage 1 intake and the Edge Programmer really do? Are they diffrent from all the others or is it like gas, basicly same, but some diffrences? Where are good places to get these? Where is the chip located and can I easily look at it to see if it has been changed? If I was to change the exhaust, what is a good option for that?

When I pull my enclosed trailer with 5K lbs or plowing is when I notice a big diffrence in milage. Cold weather plays a part too, along with warm-ups. I keep being told of trucks in the high teens for milage, some at 20, but when I am in the single numbers and very low teens, it sucks. Almost wants me to go back to gas (although I know thats not what I want to do, not will I do it).

Thanks
Jim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.