MODS FOR MORE LOW END TORQUE? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2005, 09:56 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
MODS FOR MORE LOW END TORQUE?

Hi,I have a 99 F-350 PSD,manual,4X4 with 156,000 mi.I'm probably going to sell itbut if I don't I might be interested in doing some mods to get more low end torque(not that it needs it).I use the truck to plow snow and tow a 3,000 lbs trailer.I had a Western Diesel chip air intake and exhaust but it was unreliable,the engine would just stop for a second from time to time.i took evry thing out and returned it to stock.The truck has to be 100% reliable.Also what mods would give the most return for the money?Thanks,1 basic guy.
Advertisement

Old 06-19-2005, 11:02 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: MODS FOR MORE LOW END TORQUE?

An adjustable stage 1 10k mod by SP diesle. I have mine for sale.PM me if interested.
2001 white F250 sc xlt psd," DI regulator kit, DI BIG fuel system, DI Mine-Me injectors, DI ATS BB Turbo, DP Chip,DI Valve Pressure Release,DI-adjustable IDM mod ",Terminator 2 HPOP R-IPR, APR studs, 910 valve springs, BTS Trans&Converter,6.0 Intercooler, AFE Stage 2 with zoodad,Power Elbow, Bully Dog full 4" exhaust with 5" tip,Fluidampr, hx mod,203t-stat, CCV mod, Fumoto Oil Valve,Cool-Max Trans Cooler, Autometer Phantom Gauges,Bilstein shocks, Rancho5406 stablizer, Edge 4" lift kit, Rear RoadMasters active suspension, EGR Slotted & Crossed Drilled Rotors with Carbon/Kelvar brake pads, Welds Cheyenne 8s, Roll & Lock bed cover, Sylvania SilverStar 9007& 9005s, Chrome Billet Grill, 2003 Clear Headlights, APC Clear corners, APC Euro rear lens, APC gas & brake peddles, Acetone Badges, Chrome Door & Tail Gate Handles, Oakley Seat Covers, Viper alarm, Cyclops Fuel Cut-off alarm.

[color:"blue"]MY TRUCK[/color]
joediesle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-19-2005, 02:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

If you want 100 percent reliability then you need a PCM reflash from Jody Tipton at DP Tuner. Its the best money you can spend for the results. I just got mine reflashed last week and boy what a difference a little tuning can make.

FOMOGO

2001 F-250 XL standard cab, beater, hauling trash... Stock except for a 60 horse flash...
304hp and 617 tq on Dunbars Dyno

2001 F-250 Xl Standard cab, project truck...

Custom Tunes by DP-Tuner, Custom Fuel System by ITP Diesel, Custom Trans by BTS

Ford Makes It - International Shakes It
Dubco1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-20-2005, 11:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

A Turbo Air Guide (TAG) should help with low end perfomace and turbo spool up. You might also consider the Banks Six-Gun or Big Hoss chip for more power.
2001 F-250 Crew, long box, 4x4, Big Hoss level-5 Chip, Turbo Air Guide (TAG-II), Ford AIS air intake with foam sleeve, Monster exhaust, Aeroturbine, exhaust Guide, 6.0L intercooler, Di-Pricol Optix gauges, IHC CPS, Premo Oil Refiner, Banks Exhaust brake, SmartLock, Banks Quick Turbo, Six-Gun.

2000 Excursion PSD limited, Banks Big Hoss level-5 Chip, Turbo Air Guide (TAG-II), Banks Transcommand, UNI 2-stage foam air filter, 4" aluminized exhaust with 4" down pipe and 2 Aeroturbines.

97 F-250 Powerstoke 4x4 Banks Power Pack etc.

2006 VW Jetta, PD TDI, not modified yet[/i]
carnut57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2005, 04:56 PM   #5 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
A Turbo Air Guide (TAG) should help with low end perfomace and turbo spool up. You might also consider the Banks Six-Gun or Big Hoss chip for more power.

[/ QUOTE ]

Have you done any dyno runs with the TAG?
29' Sand Piper Toy Hauler w/front sleeper 11.5klbs Loaded.
JoeCar is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-21-2005, 06:12 PM   #6 (permalink)

Before purchasing any Banks products be sure and read the other threads on here concerning their products!
jjtproperty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2005, 10:08 AM   #7 (permalink)

superchips tuner gives a bunch more low end power. unreal.

air intake and exhaust doesn't do much for low end tho.

If it don't run, chrome it.
drmiller100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2005, 10:12 AM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

Here ya go

Everything you would need.
2002 F-250 Lariat 4x4 crew-cab short-bed automatic, lots of stuff from DI Performance (Diesel Innovations)713/984-9441, Terminator hpop, ATS trans, and some good help from Chris Pitre at Pitre Automotive of Lafayette, LA 337/945-8049 (and a few other great sponsors) pm me for any details; Best time on 37's = 13.09 @ 102mph, #2 only;12.18 @ 111.71mph on Da Juice

Current Project: '86 Toyota regular cab, full tube chassis, fully built 7.3 Diesel Innovations Powerstroke engine and Terminator hpos
imelmo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-22-2005, 04:42 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)

Get a good Hot chip with no timing advance(DI, DP, TS, etc..), Exhaust, Good air intake system, and of course Big Oil(the largest low end gain you will see, with the proper programming). [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]
95 F350 Crewcab4X4: TE Twin Turbo(BB fed by a Precision Hybrid from BWD), Industrial Injection BD Injectors, DIIC with custom stainless 3" piping, Terminator HPOS, DI headstuds, BTS tranny, TruCool 40GVW cooler, DP LIVE TUNED F5 with Extreme ICP(ya, it works)!, Custom fuel system, MagHytec diff cover.

01 F350 Regcab4X4: soon to be shortened.

97 F350 Regcab4X4: Twin Turbo's, lots of fuel and oil.

02 Excursion4X4Limited: Wifes ride: Terminator HPOS2, DP Tuner F5

http://community.webshots.com/user/gsxrturboquad

SDRCM #7
GSXRTURBOQUAD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-23-2005, 01:47 AM   #10 (permalink)

My Photos: (8)

What you had was some of the best baseline mods you could ask for. If the contacts on the chip where not clean it could cause the truck to stop as could a loose chip. This would be a bigger problem with the jaring from snow plowing. A AIS intake and tag may help as would a 31/2 down pipe. Do you have gauges? If you reprogram the PCM (Jody) you don't have to worry about chip contact problems.
DENNY
Old 06-23-2005, 07:40 PM   #11 (permalink)

Thanks guys.
DENNY,sir,i got rid of the Weatern Diesel stuff befor I started plowing.
Who makes a good exhaust?
Are any of the mods going to adversley affect the longevity of the engine?I have a manual trans.I've had two problems,hyd.line went and the slave cyl.broke,is there any thing that can be done to beef up the trans?Thanks,1 basic truck.
Old 06-23-2005, 11:45 PM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (8)

The trans is pretty strong. The weak point is the stock clutch/pilot bearing/lever arm. I would upgrade with a luk clutch and kevlar pilot bearing. Make sure you have gauges to keep track of your EGTs, Any increase in HP can shorten motor life depending on how hard you push it but, there are lots of modded trucks living a long life.
DENNY
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.