OEM fog light install, what's needed? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2008, 03:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
OEM fog light install, what's needed?

If I wanted to put OEM fog lights on my non-fog light equiped truck is it as simple as getting the housings and bulbs?

Are the wire harness connectors there already?

Would I need a fog light switch, or would the headlight switch control that?

I know it would just be simpler to get a set of aftermarket lights, but I like the OEM look and feel.
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2008, 04:28 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.32WD View Post
If I wanted to put OEM fog lights on my non-fog light equiped truck is it as simple as getting the housings and bulbs?

Are the wire harness connectors there already?

Would I need a fog light switch, or would the headlight switch control that?

I know it would just be simpler to get a set of aftermarket lights, but I like the OEM look and feel.
You can get OEM look and feel with aftermarket lights that actually work at something rather than being posers. Hella MicroFF lamps

If you like those, read this. The links still work (mostly).
2002 F350 Lariat CC 4x4 Auto 4.10 DRW, DP-Tuner F5 live tuned stock, quiet, 40dd, 40, 60, 80 tow, 80e and 120r, B&W GN, BrakeSmart, 'pooned tank, tank and pre-pump mods, 2 Dahl 100 filter, regulated return, BTS dual HPOP, AC singles with EDM 34 lpm nozzles, AIS, H2e, Spearco 6.0 IC, Hypermax 3.5" dp--> MBRP 4" 304SS exhaust, BTS tranny, 203 T-stat, Chevron ELC, coolant filter, Oilguard bypass with Schaeffer 9000, WranglerNW 200 amp alternator & Optima group 31 batteries, Nippon-Denso starter, SPA gauges, SteveRacer mods, Hella 80/100W 9007s, Hella Micro DE foglights, 1000FF driving lights, 220W backup lights, Stancor contactor, Michelin XPS Traction tires, X-Springs, Bilstein shox, custom bumpers but otherwise stock. Nov 30 '99 build engine with 16 K miles, Fluidampr, Comp Cam 910 springs, Melling LPOP and ARP headstuds.
haul_n_horses2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2008, 05:07 PM   #3 (permalink)

Hey- those look great- do they come in amber? I want a true fog, not a driving light.
Old 03-18-2008, 10:59 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
I am looking for the same style lights..... Did those brackets come with them or did you have to make them yourself? What watt are they?
2000 F-350 PSD Crew Cab, Long Bed 4x4, Rough County 2.5 Leveling Kit, Clear Gearz rear differential cover with Amsoil 7w140 Severe Gear. Front Differential 75w90 Amsoil Gear lube. Greaseable U-joints. 33" Nitto Terra Grapplers on 16x10 Helo Blasters. AFE Stage II Intake. Foil Delete Mod
Instant207 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-19-2008, 06:26 AM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.32WD View Post
Hey- those look great- do they come in amber? I want a true fog, not a driving light.
You can put amber bulbs in. The amber gives you a little better contrast allowing you to see imperfections in the road surface. Unless you live in some pretty rough country the regular halogen bulbs have been fine. In fact, Hella makes some very nice heavy duty filament bulbs (HL78134) that resist vibration much better than stock.

On Edit: Check out the Yellow Star H3 bulbs here.
2002 F350 Lariat CC 4x4 Auto 4.10 DRW, DP-Tuner F5 live tuned stock, quiet, 40dd, 40, 60, 80 tow, 80e and 120r, B&W GN, BrakeSmart, 'pooned tank, tank and pre-pump mods, 2 Dahl 100 filter, regulated return, BTS dual HPOP, AC singles with EDM 34 lpm nozzles, AIS, H2e, Spearco 6.0 IC, Hypermax 3.5" dp--> MBRP 4" 304SS exhaust, BTS tranny, 203 T-stat, Chevron ELC, coolant filter, Oilguard bypass with Schaeffer 9000, WranglerNW 200 amp alternator & Optima group 31 batteries, Nippon-Denso starter, SPA gauges, SteveRacer mods, Hella 80/100W 9007s, Hella Micro DE foglights, 1000FF driving lights, 220W backup lights, Stancor contactor, Michelin XPS Traction tires, X-Springs, Bilstein shox, custom bumpers but otherwise stock. Nov 30 '99 build engine with 16 K miles, Fluidampr, Comp Cam 910 springs, Melling LPOP and ARP headstuds.

Last edited by haul_n_horses2; 03-19-2008 at 07:48 AM.
Old 03-19-2008, 06:28 AM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Instant207 View Post
I am looking for the same style lights..... Did those brackets come with them or did you have to make them yourself? What watt are they?
They are Hella MicroFF lights and come in driving and fog versions. I had to make the brackets but it was not difficult. The MicroFF take a 55 watt bulb and that is plenty for this small housing. They are very efficient. If you are using them as a foglight you do not want to throw too much light out there to avoid reflection back in your face. That being said, the Hella MicroDE foglights are among the best in the world but they are smaller and round thus not mimicking the OEM lights.

Last edited by haul_n_horses2; 03-19-2008 at 07:52 AM.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:30 AM   #7 (permalink)

Amber bulbs definitely do better out here in Iowa. I'd never go back to adding just white light to the front of any of my vehicles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by haul_n_horses2 View Post
You can put amber bulbs in. The amber gives you a little better contrast allowing you to see imperfections in the road surface. Unless you live in some pretty rough country the regular halogen bulbs have been fine. In fact, Hella makes some very nice heavy duty filament bulbs that resist vibration much better than stock.
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.