powerstroke engine used in marine applications ? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2005, 11:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
powerstroke engine used in marine applications ?

Does anyone have any information on converting 7.3 powerstroke engines for marine use, any help would be greatly apprietiated
Thanks, Amthatiam
amthatiam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-13-2005, 01:08 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: powerstroke engine used in marine applications ?

As long as you used a separate liquid to liquid cooler to run the actual fresh/salt water through and not let it actually enter the powerstroke coolant system, I think it would be pretty straight forward. The outdrive mount-up to the engine could be tricky. But maybe not.

Of course you realize that a liquid to liquid intercooler is going to be utilized to give you unbelievable intake charge cooling ability for stupid power. You could forget about overheating the coolant. You can always make more usable power in a marine application because of the endless cooling capability.

You're a man after my own heart. I've always wanted to do that.

Good Luck,

Charlie
CharlieII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2005, 02:57 PM   #3 (permalink)
Banned

It'll bolt up to a Bravo I, II, or III. Probably need different mounts. Mercruiser uses their own closed cooling system and a little different aftercooler. Keep in mind that the marine D7.3L D-Tronic runs a lower compression ratio of 15.5:1 instead of the PSD's 17.5:1, and it runs 300 hp at 3800 RPM. So the pistons, injection timing, PCM control, etc are going to be different. Do-able, but maybe costly.
Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2005, 09:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

that would be awesome to have a water cooled exhaust system !!!! have the headers have water jackets and mabey a turbine housing!!!!! awesome temp controller there [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/phoney.gif[/img]
2000 F-350 4x4 7.3L turbo diesel dually c/c. Mods - 4 pos DI chip 50/75/100/120?, Autometer phantom boost, pyro, and trans gauge, 4" straight back exhaust, K&N intake, wicked wheel, AIH plug (cummins 5.9 drain plug)

www.garthman.com
garth285 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2005, 05:26 PM   #5 (permalink)

thanks for the feed back guys, gooch in particular for directing me in the direction of mercury/mercruiser.
amthatiam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2005, 03:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (14)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

[ QUOTE ]
It'll bolt up to a Bravo I, II, or III. Probably need different mounts. Mercruiser uses their own closed cooling system and a little different aftercooler. Keep in mind that the marine D7.3L D-Tronic runs a lower compression ratio of 15.5:1 instead of the PSD's 17.5:1, and it runs 300 hp at 3800 RPM. So the pistons, injection timing, PCM control, etc are going to be different. Do-able, but maybe costly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Gee Gooch, It seems I read somewhere?, a post by some one?,that the only threads you reply too are coolant related? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I'd tend to agree with Gooch on the cost. To buy all the pieces separate to convert a truck engine, you may not be far from a package from Mercruiser unless you can find a blown/submerged motor,salvage parts,etc.

Other Fords Gone:
1999.5 F250 CC SB XLT 4WD, 7.3 PSD, First F,2nd Diesel, nice but still liked the van better.
2003 E-350 Super Duty Chateau (Club Wagon)7.3PSD, 3rd Club Wagon,First diesel, Never should have sold it....
1996 Club Wagon Chateau Heavy Duty 7.5L (460) V8 Pass anything but a gas station, Traded it in on the '03
1992 E150 Club Wagon Chateau 5.0L (302) V8
ddog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2005, 05:01 PM   #7 (permalink)

I wakeboard and would love to have the extra weight, torque, and fuel savings of a turbo diesel in a boat.

Here is a link from another board I frequent.

http://marinedieselusa.com/marine-engine-towsport.html

You can go to the main site http://marinedieselusa.com for more general info. Its not exactly a PSD, but good info anyway.
2002 F250 Crew Cab Long Bed 4x4. 3" Edge leveling kit. 35x12.50R18 Toyo Open Country MT on 18 x 9 Helo Maxx8's. ISSPro Pillar Guages. DB Electric Starter. MBRP Turbo Back Exhaust. AIS Severe Duty Airbox. Zoodad Mod. DP Tuner 40T/60T/80e/120/140/Drive Thru. John Wood Valve Body. 6.0 Trans Cooler. Overboost Annihilator.
big_poppa_pump is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-16-2005, 05:37 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

[ QUOTE ]
Gee Gooch, It seems I read somewhere?, a post by some one?,that the only threads you reply too are coolant related? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right...what was I thinking!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Their "retirement" has been good. I notice I'm not having to put out as many coolant-related fires lately. And my posts are actually in my own words. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

BTW, I worked on a few marine D-Tronics for some buds a while back. It's a great reliable diesel engine for marine apps. Just heavy, and a little odd to gear for.
Gooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2005, 02:31 AM   #9 (permalink)

The diesel engine that they are talking about in that web page is GM's famed 6.5 used from 1992 to about 1999 in there trucks. It is a good light duty engine, but nowhere near a powerstroke(I know my current suburban has one of em in it [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]).
1995 K2500 diesel suburban, BANKS stinger kit, Quadzilla guages, 97+ cooling mods with D-max fan, remote PMD with #9 resistor

1988 JEEP CHEROKEE, 4.0L, 4X4, auto, mostly stock(keepin the miles off the diesel)
thefermanator is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2005, 06:12 AM   #10 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
wakeboard and would love to have the extra weight, torque, and fuel savings of a turbo diesel in a boat.

Here is a link from another board I frequent.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? You would collapse from the fumes after about 5 minutes? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/phoney.gif[/img]
JustSomeDude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2005, 08:10 AM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)

[/ QUOTE ] Why? You would collapse from the fumes after about 5 minutes? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/phoney.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ] Nah, just put a stack on the exhaust. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]
Kwikkordead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2005, 08:54 PM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)

Gooch, why do they run lower compression on a boat engine? On a gasser you can ususally bump the CR a little bit for a boat. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img] A PSD in a boat is something I have been thinking about also.
Tim
My Truck 1972 F-350 4x4 Extended cab 14-36 Swampers, 97 Powerstroke, 4 position chip with custom tunes, 3" downpipe, 5" exhaust, 99 intercooler, DIY E-fuel, Dana 60 front, 70 rear, lockers in both ends.
<font color="blue">72 POWER STROKE</font> <font color="red"> INTERIOR PICTURE </font> <font color="blue"> ENGINE PICTURE </font>
Wifes' Grocery Getter 99 F-250 SD 4x4 XLT Lariat 4 door. 7.3, Auto, 4 pos Bullydog chip, 3 1/2" downpipe, 5" straightpipe, Genuine Tymar, Stage 1 Monsterbox, 33-12.50-16.5's
72Pstroke is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2005, 10:35 PM   #13 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)

[ QUOTE ]
Gooch, why do they run lower compression on a boat engine? On a gasser you can ususally bump the CR a little bit for a boat. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img] A PSD in a boat is something I have been thinking about also.
Tim

[/ QUOTE ]

The GM 6.5 TD has a marine version that runs lower compression and as I recall they said it was because a marine engine is under a constant high torque load and prone to generating more heat. A truck engine is nearly constantly changing speeds and loads, justifying higher compression. Lower compression matched for the work perfomed on an overall basis (mostly long range cruising with a fairly high torque load) generated less heat and better longevity. I think they were around 17:1 compression.
Allison 1000 5 speed auto
clamgulch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2005, 12:08 AM   #14 (permalink)

I would agree, most boat engines could be considered operating at "full load" all the time.

Especially in the type of hull a PSD would be used in. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
JustSomeDude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2005, 07:55 AM   #15 (permalink)

I just want you guys to know how much I hate you for bringing this topic up [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
I swore I would never waste money on a boat again and now I find myself wandering what I did before! How much fun could a boat be with a 600hp Power Stroke in it.

PS How much power will a sterndrive hold?
POWERSTROKE RACER is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.