pre-pump filter install - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2013, 10:48 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
pre-pump filter install

So, being the new guy here, thought I would share an experience. I am accumulating all the parts I need to do the hutch and harpoon mods, and thought I would tackle the pre-pump air sucking fuel line and the pre pump filter at the same time. Bought the filter mount and filter through SD.

So, I get it all mounted up and realize that there is not enough space to put the filter in the spot just behind the pump without kinking the fuel lines. Just to prove it, I installed it, drove it up the street (much quieter BTW), and romped on the pedal on the way back, instantly starving the truck for fuel. Shut her down, re-primed the pump, eased her home, and replaced the filter with a a new section of fuel line. She is much quieter, such air must have been being sucked in there, but the filter will have to wait for another day.

Just thought i would share this. I kinda assumed it would work, but now I see that the filter will have to go in that big empty space in front of the tank.

Another, worse option, is the fuel pump is weak and couldn't pull through the filter, but I'm going with the kinked fuel lines for now.
Advertisement

Old 01-25-2013, 11:10 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (175)
You can avoid kinks if you run the fuel line between the filter and the pump inlet in a loop. Even if you have only a couple of inches between the facing connections, just loop the fuel line past the pump and back around to the pump.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-25-2013, 11:29 PM   #3 (permalink)

I would have done that, but I cut my self short when I bought the line. I will have to go back to the store anyway. There was only about 1/4" clearance between the filter and the 4x4 drive shaft, but that should be fine, right? I would really rather not cut the steel fuel line by the tank if I can avoid it
Old 01-26-2013, 09:23 AM   #4 (permalink)

I made a 180 turn out of brass couplings, that way the hose doesn't have to bend.

Old 01-26-2013, 10:13 AM   #5 (permalink)

If I could find 5/16" stainless I'd be happy. I could bend a curve in it. I have almost unlimited 3/8" at work
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.