Project: Reliable Hauler - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-19-2012, 11:43 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Talking Project: Reliable Hauler

First off, I want to apologize if this isn't in the correct forum. I tried to find a distinct location for project logs, but I was unable to find a definitive location.

Now, on to the truck!

I'll preempt this by stating that I'm an automotive enthusiast who enjoys HPDE's. After years of getting more and more involved with racing, I kept modifying my car to suit a higher performance standard. Now, I used to drive my car to the track, do a bit of racing, then drive the car home. This wasn't terrible, but it always left me a bit nervous in case anything happened at the track. This is where the truck comes in. I did a bunch of research, and throughout my life I had better experiences with Ford then the alternatives... and I have an uncle that is a pretty big supporter of their products.

So, I picked up a 2000 Ford F-350 Super Duty Extended Cab Lariat Dually (that's a mouthful). It only had 100,000 miles on it, and after thoroughly looking over what were considered "problem areas" by friends, family, and several forums... I think it turned out to be the best choice I could go with (without driving thousands of miles or investing a small fortune). Thus far, I'm EXTREMELY happy with the decision.

Here's a picture:

Thus far, I've only done minor things to improve its occupant comfort level. But, I plan on doing several upgrades to help prolong its life, make it more economical, and increase its overall enjoyability. I've already done some minor things to the interior to improve its durability and enjoyability:
- Weathertech floor mats
- Excursion center console with 4 cupholders
- 2003+ cupholder in-dash
- Stereo upgrades (Alpine speakers, new Headunit, etc...)

My plans, thus far, are thus:

Drivetrain:
- DP Tuner Infinity-DX with EGT sensor and 3 tunes (80hp Economy, 20hp Tow, and 100hp Performance)
- Magnaflow 4" Turbo-back exhaust
- RiffRaff CCV relocate kit
- Ford AIS Cold Air Intake
- Transmission cooler and filter setup
- Coolant filter
- Hutch Mod

Exterior:
- 2003+ Ford Superduty exterior mirrors (heater and signals)
- Rainguards
- Line-X bedliner
- Retractable tonneau cover (still undecided on company, Pace Edwards or Peragon)
- Curt Fifth Wheel
- Marinco mod for the block heater

Fuel (eventually):
- Golden Fuel Systems (WVO conversion)

Brakes:
- Stainless brake lines
- Hawk SD brake pads
- Probably going to use some ATE Super Blue, if it won't hurt the braking system

Now, after all that garble...

I would love for fellow 7.3L TD owners to throw in their opinions for the products I've listed above, or alternatives they enjoy. I'm rather new to this big of a vehicle, this type of engine, and Ford in itself. But, I'm far from new to vehicles and their overall construction. I built my race car myself, and I'm rather quick to learning new things. Other then that, I'm glad to be here, and I love my truck.

toyomatt84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2012, 12:10 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (2)
Welcome to the forums. In addition...keep CLEAN oil in your 7.3...they like that!
Old 12-20-2012, 12:22 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
You say you want a reliable truck? Go ahead with exhaust and cup holders,the drivetrain dreams are mostly a waste of money and good truck meat.And you will rue the day you put wvo or wmo in it because you will spend all your time and money on keeping it running. fuel is the cheapest thing you put in it. Choose carefully.
Stock Motorcraft brake parts are about the best long lasting parts you will find.
Early Cuyler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 12:26 AM   #4 (permalink)

Sounds like you have found a nice truck.

Let me know if you need any help when you are ready for the Infinity.
Like us on Facebook!
828-221-0076 ext.804
justin@dp-tuner.com

Last edited by Justin@DP-Tuner; 12-20-2012 at 12:28 AM.
Justin@DP-Tuner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 12:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by COBRAJET View Post
Welcome to the forums. In addition...keep CLEAN oil in your 7.3...they like that!
Most certainly. I've been trying to find what can be done to improve the engine's oiling system. It seems as though HPOP's and multiple filters are most common. But, I've got more research to do in that department.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Early Cuyler View Post
You say you want a reliable truck? Go ahead with exhaust and cup holders,the drivetrain dreams are mostly a waste of money and good truck meat.And you will rue the day you put wvo or wmo in it because you will spend all your time and money on keeping it running. fuel is the cheapest thing you put in it. Choose carefully.
Stock Motorcraft brake parts are about the best long lasting parts you will find.
The cup holders are already changed, so I don't need to do anything there. What do you mean by "drivetrain dreams"? I'm a bit confused, as I'm getting far more positive responses towards the improved air filter and tuner, then negative ones. What is wrong with running WVO? I've heard of people having issues when its not filtered properly, but I'll have a holding tank in a heated garage with more then one set of filters and a cycling pump. Its not like I'll be dumping it straight in to the truck.

And, I'll have to disagree with you on the brake components. I replaced the Motorcrafts on an F-150 I used to drive with the Hawk's, and it was one of the best improvements I've ever done to a truck. Have you used the Hawk pads, or are you speaking of merely hear-say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin@DP-Tuner View Post
Sounds like you have found a nice truck.

Let me know if you need any help when you are ready for the Infinity.
Thanks Justin. I'll be definitely contacting you when I'm ready to purchase the tuner. It'll be after tax season, due to the unexpected tax hike we may incur.

Old 12-20-2012, 08:44 PM   #6 (permalink)

Welcome to the forum. You have a really nice truck.
If you are going to upgrade the exterior mirrors spend the extra to get '08 & newer, they are larger and give so much better view.As for alternative fuel, DO your homework! do it right don't cut corners, especially when filtering, get a centrifuge!

Towing 2011 Flagstaff 8528 BHSS
Truck & Trailer GCVW 18980 LBS 6/20/2012

2001 F-250 7.3L PSD Auto 4X4 205K mi. SOLD
kevinj1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-20-2012, 10:55 PM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the head's up on the '08+ mirrors, Kevin.

As for the alternative fuel choice, believe me... it won't be anytime soon that I can invest in the swap. So, I'll use my time to do more and more research. I can get used fluid storage containers through work, that can be made in to WVO containment units (with some proper cleaning). So, it'll definitely have a thorough filtration system.

I would have loved a Crew Cab (like yours), but I'm quite happy with the Extended Cab due to how narrow my work's parking lot is.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:00 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by toyomatt84 View Post
Most certainly. I've been trying to find what can be done to improve the engine's oiling system. It seems as though HPOP's and multiple filters are most common. But, I've got more research to do in that department.

Thanks Justin. I'll be definitely contacting you when I'm ready to purchase the tuner. It'll be after tax season, due to the unexpected tax hike we may incur.
I am not a big fan of bypass oil filters on the 7.3L. There really is no need for them, the stock filter does just fine if you have regular oil change intervals.

I'm here whenever you need me. If you have any questions about the Infinity don't be afraid to ask.
Like us on Facebook!
828-221-0076 ext.804
justin@dp-tuner.com
Old 12-21-2012, 06:06 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
I am not a big fan of bypass oil filters on the 7.3L. There really is no need for them, the stock filter does just fine if you have regular oil change intervals.

I'm here whenever you need me. If you have any questions about the Infinity don't be afraid to ask.
Would you say an oil filter re-location kit is worth my time, then? I'm just asking, since I haven't put enough miles on the truck to quantify changing the oil yet.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:58 PM   #10 (permalink)

I know what you mean about tight spaces. I was lucky enough to find a drw CC/SB so the wheel base is 156" so its a little easier.

Towing 2011 Flagstaff 8528 BHSS
Truck & Trailer GCVW 18980 LBS 6/20/2012

2001 F-250 7.3L PSD Auto 4X4 205K mi. SOLD
kevinj1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-21-2012, 08:05 PM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Would you say an oil filter re-location kit is worth my time, then? I'm just asking, since I haven't put enough miles on the truck to quantify changing the oil yet.

The 7.3 has to be one of the easiest rigs to change the oil on. Big 2 qt filter hanging right out in the open. Couldn't get much easier...
Old 12-21-2012, 11:47 PM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
The 7.3 has to be one of the easiest rigs to change the oil on. Big 2 qt filter hanging right out in the open. Couldn't get much easier...
Sweet. That's good news to see. I'll just leave that as-is, then.

In other news, we got a bunch of snow and some slight rain yesterday. On the way home from snowblowing my parent's driveway (since my dad's out of town, I wanted to make sure my mom could get in the house), I saw someone in a Ford Escape trying to back out of the ditch between the two two-lanes on a highway. As I slowed to make sure he wouldn't hit me on accident, he jumped out of the truck to flag me down. He had a strap (considering I didn't), so I figured what the hay... might as well attempt to pull him out. Backing in, I had my concerns, seeing as the rear wheels were buried in snow. But, even with his truck hooked up, I didn't even spin the tires. The guy gave me a hug, thanking me. Turns out he works for a local Ford dealership.

Yup', I love this truck.

Old 12-22-2012, 01:53 AM   #13 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't think it is worth your time at all. Just run a Motorcraft FL1995 oil filter. They are about $10 and filter very well.
Like us on Facebook!
828-221-0076 ext.804
justin@dp-tuner.com
Old 12-22-2012, 08:28 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Sweet. That's good news to see. I'll just leave that as-is, then.

In other news, we got a bunch of snow and some slight rain yesterday. On the way home from snowblowing my parent's driveway (since my dad's out of town, I wanted to make sure my mom could get in the house), I saw someone in a Ford Escape trying to back out of the ditch between the two two-lanes on a highway. As I slowed to make sure he wouldn't hit me on accident, he jumped out of the truck to flag me down. He had a strap (considering I didn't), so I figured what the hay... might as well attempt to pull him out. Backing in, I had my concerns, seeing as the rear wheels were buried in snow. But, even with his truck hooked up, I didn't even spin the tires. The guy gave me a hug, thanking me. Turns out he works for a local Ford dealership.

Yup', I love this truck.

Take it slow in that DRW on snow and ice until you get a good feel for it. The back end can wash out in the blink of an eye. Lowering the tire pressure considerably will help in the snow.
Old 12-22-2012, 10:02 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
I don't think it is worth your time at all. Just run a Motorcraft FL1995 oil filter. They are about $10 and filter very well.
No problem. I love the help, Justin.

Quote:
Take it slow in that DRW on snow and ice until you get a good feel for it. The back end can wash out in the blink of an eye. Lowering the tire pressure considerably will help in the snow.
I don't have a problem driving the truck in poor weather, to be honest. I've driven DRW trucks with loads in the Winter before. But, I was just unsure with the rear wheels buried in the snow... if it would even be able to push itself out of the snow. It was a rather welcome surprise to just roll out with the Escape attached, as if nothing was irregular.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.