Project: Reliable Hauler - Page 2 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2012, 02:59 PM   #16 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Quote:
Originally Posted by toyomatt84 View Post
No problem. I love the help, Justin.
No problem. Feel free to contact me if you ever have any questions.
Like us on Facebook!
828-221-0076 ext.804
justin@dp-tuner.com
Justin@DP-Tuner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-23-2012, 01:20 PM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin@DP-Tuner View Post
Well, if you have any input on the modifications I listed above (good and bad), I'd love to read it!

I'm honestly enjoying this truck rather thoroughly. I'm a pretty tall/broad guy (6'2" and 265lbs), and it "fits" me rather comfortably.

toyomatt84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-23-2012, 01:30 PM   #18 (permalink)

If your looking to go green then WVO might work but if your looking for reliability and power tuners I'd stay away from it like people said. Even filtered its still greasy and gels up if it gets cold etc. Just too likely to gum up the system IMO. That 7.3l is an awesome engine so why risk it with and alternative fuel. Also most power adders/tuners aren't necessarily designed to work with it. Definitely check with them first your you might really screw up the engine. If your looking for clean power a methanol or propane system might be a better set up.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
Old 01-02-2013, 12:13 PM   #19 (permalink)

I'll be looking at this thread in the future. I'm looking for a tuner as well for my F-450, which, I think, starts out de-tuned from the factory.

Sasha J

http://www.laura-n-sasha.com/

1999 F450 7.3 PSD CC 4x2, Roll-A-Long Hauler Bed, 15,000 GVWR, 26,000 GCVWR, PacBrake PBRX exhaust brake, HP625 frame mount compressor, 5 gallon air tank, AIRSAFE 25K Air hitch & KSH 80 Gal Aux Tank/Tool Box, aft OEM 25 Gal Fuel Tank

http://www.thedieselstop.com/forums/...f-450-304.html

2006 FR Sandpiper Sport F37 Toyhauler, 16K GVWR, 7K axles, 17.5" Wheels, 600W Solar

SOLD: 2005 F350 SuperDuty 6.0 PSD Auto Crew Cab Long Bed 4x4 SRW Lariat
sasha_j is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-02-2013, 05:29 PM   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sasha_j View Post
I'll be looking at this thread in the future. I'm looking for a tuner as well for my F-450, which, I think, starts out de-tuned from the factory.
Some tunes will definitely help wake the truck up.
Like us on Facebook!
828-221-0076 ext.804
justin@dp-tuner.com
Justin@DP-Tuner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 10:37 PM   #21 (permalink)

About the CCV mod thing. I know I did it and thought it was great at first and all but regardless of what others say I swear it was the last straw on the proverbial camel's back that started my oil seals leaking. I hate even bring it up because there are some pretty strong opinions about it. Buy my 2 cents worth is that if I was to do it all over again...I wouldn't. I'd just leave it the way it is and not worry about it. That money could go towards a lot more important and NEEDED items. Like the AIS filter system. That's money well spent....just don't get talked into the fender sleeve kit (it didn't gain me anything and I still had to do other mods to the front snorkel tube (like removing it completely) in order to get max airflow under full throttle conditions. Good luck and welcome!

PS Any 7.3 with under 100K is just barely broken in :-) You should be good to go for a long time if you take good care of it.
Early 99 F350 4X4 CC 7.3 Auto. A.R.E. Topper, bed carpet/bench inserts, Rhino grill guard, CCV Canister Style Mod, AIS w/sleeve, Fuel filler mod, GOS headlight harness, Hella 80/100s, 02-04 Headlights, Rancho HD stabilizer, 06 Telescoping/heated mirrors with C-Btr Mirrors, Hella FF1000, Htr Bypass valve, front receiver hitch, Quadzilla XZT gauges, ITP Pre-pump/In-tank mods, Pioneer P5000UB w/XM radio, 4 Infinity Kappa 682.7cf, Fumoto valve, FIAMM Highway blaster horns, SS HPX, IDM mod, DP F5 (Stock,Drive-thru,60T,80E,120,80E-Mountain,1200), Walker BTM, RR, Dieselsite BRV, BTS Tranny, 26 row tranny cooler, Bilstein shocks, Amsoil bypass oil filter, Donaldson ELF7405 oil filter, billet thermostat housing, front & rear parking cameras, Aux reverse lights, Heated Seats.

Security: CrimeGuard Alarm with remote notification, DIY jimmi-jammers, door cylinder locks and linkage removed, padlocked rear bench seat hinge, PCM, DIY "pitstop" switch.
losfinch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 10:30 PM   #22 (permalink)

WVO works good on my 90 F250 with the golden fuel system but not sure how well it works on your truck which is newer. I would only recommend doing it if you have an easy and reliable source for oil like knowing someone who owns a restaurant that goes through a lot of oil. The Golden Fuel System is great and they are very helpful with install/trouble shooting advice but their video is outdated in terms of how easy it is to get oil. It used to be easy when restaurants needed to pay to get rid of it. Now people are paying the restaurants so they can use the oil to make biodiesel and sell it. It is great not to have to pay for fuel but it is a lot of work to put the system on/ keep finding free cooking oil and trouble shoot when something goes wrong.
Chris90F250Diesel4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-27-2013, 01:51 PM   #23 (permalink)

Well, I took delivery on a Diamond Eye 4" turbo back stainless exhaust, Ford AIS intake, CCV mod, and the DieselSite coolant filter. I also got the truck's little amount of rust replaced and painted.

I also through a Sony XAV-64BT in for a headunit and 4x Alpine speakers to make the stereo sound a little better. I'll probably throw a small sub in to round out the audio, though.

Next on the list of to-do's will probably be the Line-X and re-working all of the wiring that's in the engine bay and in the cab (there's a little bit of a wiring mess from the previous owner). I'm thinking a neat way to group up some of the added fuses and wiring, would be to go junkyard roaming for an additional fuse box. That way, it'll look somewhat "factory" and be able to house additional fuses for future additions. All the trailer wiring will probably go through it, as well. Something else I'm going to probably invest in, will be a back-up siren. I was backing out of a parking spot in town the other night, when some drunk people came out of nowhere and blithely walked behind the truck. Good thing I've got good reactions, and I stopped before hitting them. I did put a Broadway 400mm rear-view mirror on, as well. That helps a ton with the blind spots.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:08 AM   #24 (permalink)

tuneing is the way

to get all that metal down the road , and enjoy every minute of it . we havn't used the stock tune , ever since the introduction to the deisel aftermarket tuneing . thats all we got our truck for too , was to haul the car . its been my daily , since we got it . this site hooked us up with the answers to make it work best . couldnt imagine , wouldnt try , doing anything to truck without it . someday we mite even have a turbo diesel chevelle , if it was up to the kid , it would already be in fabrication . congrats , on your find . looks like a real jewel .
2000 F250 PSD 7.3 CCLB A/T wrecked , should of been totaled , but its back from the shop and were gona keep rollin it . it only took 3 months for the body shop to put all the peices back together again . . .
silvermullet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-21-2014, 06:30 PM   #25 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin@DP-Tuner View Post
I dropped you an email with hopes to purchase an Infinity in the near future.

Old 01-21-2014, 10:15 PM   #26 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
How heavy do you plan on towing? I have the 40 tow and the 80 tow and find that most of my towing is done in the 80hp tow setting. I usually tow a skid steer on a flatbed gooseneck with a GCWR of about 19,000 lbs.

The 40 hp tow is noticeable but the 80 is where it's at. Even with the hilly terrain in my neck of Colorado, I rarely have to back out of it.

I think the 20hp tow setting might be a little low for you. I would go with the 40hp at a minimum.

Gone but not forgotten...
2002 F-350 SRW
Lariat, Crew Cab, Long Bed
4X4, Auto Trans, Tymar Intake
Wicked Wheel, Zoodad Mod
DP Tuner - 60E, 80E, 40T, 80T, Decel
05+ Harley Headlights
6" Upper and Lower Windshield Brows
ISSPRO Gauges, Edge Insight CTS

Sold at 206,000 miles
lone_star_dsl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2014, 02:51 PM   #27 (permalink)
NYB

My Photos: (7)
ToyoMatt84...

If your project goal is similar to your project title "Reliable Hauler", and if you are pulling people out of the snow (meaning you might live where it gets cold enough for fuel to gel), then consider scratching the Hutch mod off of your to do list.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:31 PM   #28 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by lone_star_dsl View Post
How heavy do you plan on towing? I have the 40 tow and the 80 tow and find that most of my towing is done in the 80hp tow setting. I usually tow a skid steer on a flatbed gooseneck with a GCWR of about 19,000 lbs.

The 40 hp tow is noticeable but the 80 is where it's at. Even with the hilly terrain in my neck of Colorado, I rarely have to back out of it.

I think the 20hp tow setting might be a little low for you. I would go with the 40hp at a minimum.
I was simply going by what DP listed on their site for weight recommendations. As I'd rather not have to replace the transmission sooner then expected, I would think 20hp is more then sufficient. I towed the track car down to Kentucky and back without a single issue, on the stock tune. So a little extra umph will be more then enough to make me happy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYB View Post
ToyoMatt84...

If your project goal is similar to your project title "Reliable Hauler", and if you are pulling people out of the snow (meaning you might live where it gets cold enough for fuel to gel), then consider scratching the Hutch mod off of your to do list.
I agree. I simply haven't had the time to drop the tank and do what I need to... nor do I have a warm place to do anything to the truck right now. I'm dying for Spring, that is for sure. The new house will give me PLENTY of space to perform any work desired, without requiring me to do it in the driveway. So, I'm anxious as could be.

I will be taking care of the fueling system, though. I appreciate the input, as well.

I did manage to get something done in this brutal cold weather (right now its -11 F outside). I picked up a MOMO steering hub and Nardi 350mm Deep Corn leather wheel.

I had to cut off, machine, drill, and tap new mounting holes in the MOMO hub because the original height of the hub placed the steering wheel far too close to the driver. Luckily, that's easy stuff for me.

Here's a before shot, to showcase the difference in height:

I would post up the modified 2010 front air dam I made for the truck, but a few weeks ago... it broke when I slightly nudged a snowbank. It was -22 F (-55 Windchill), so I'm guessing the urethane was pretty much solid and brittle at that point.

Old 01-22-2014, 09:48 PM   #29 (permalink)

Looking back through here... I seemed to have missed a bunch.

I'll get this set straight!

I hated the abused rear bumper, so I upgraded to a 2008+ rear bumper. I also put a 4" DiamondEye stainless turbo-back with muffler, exhaust setup on the truck. With that came the Ford AIS intake system. And, upgraded the shocks a bit (since the stock ones were actually rusted so bad you could see the wall bulge on one of them when compressing the valve). Also had to replace the balljoints up front, so I figured I'd replace the wheel bearings, seals, and the brake lines as well. I also got Line-X for the bed, and a folding aluminum tonneau cover.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:45 PM   #30 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lone_star_dsl View Post
I have 40T and a 80T from DP...I'm 20k combined...80T is where it's at.....don't even have to drive around the EGT.
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.