The Diesel Stop banner

Purchasing a Chip

2K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  samyosemite 
#1 ·
I am looking at purchasing a chip for a local diesel performance shop located in Houston Tx. The company is Diesel Innovations. Has anyone dealt with them?

I have a

2002 F350 7.3

Thanks

#3 · (Edited)
The company is Diesel Innovations. Has anyone dealt with them?
Sure. David Lott is famous as a diesel engine builder that can win races without blowing up. Most of the time. :wink2:

David has been a member of TheDieselStop for at least 10 years, and he was a sponsor for several years. I met him several years ago at a HAPS shindig near Spring. HAPS = Houston Area Power Strokes.

Diesel Innovations Online Performance Diesel Products!

Check out David's race truck, Snow White:
http://www.diperformancetransmissions.com/snowwhite.html

#4 ·
You can take Smokey's advice to the bank. He gave me advice when I bought my truck ten years ago and she's still running fine.
Great to see you still on here Smokey.

#5 ·
Thanks Somkey for your input. I went back to David and had him put a 6 position chip in and WOW my truck came alive. I had no idea the power this truck now has. I will really put it to the test in Sept. Going to the Rocky Mts and then to YellowStone pulling a 32 ft 5th wheel

#6 ·
I will really put it to the test in Sept. Going to the Rocky Mts and then to YellowStone pulling a 32 ft 5th wheel
Choose a towing tune around 60 HP. Then drive by the gauges and never allow more than 1,250° pre-turbo EGT. When downshifted out of OD and climbing a grade at around 55 to 60 MPH, you can modulate the go pedal to maintain about 1,200° to 1,250° EGT - the same way you modulate the go pedal to maintain a constant speed. If you climb a mountain trail at less than 40 MPH (torque converter unlocked), then pay attention to the tranny temp gauge and don't let it go over 225° to 230°. You don't have to worry about boost when towing heavy. If you don't exceed the 1,250° EGT redline, you won't exceed the 25 PSI boost redline either - unless you're in a "race" tune instead of a towing tune.

#7 ·
Diesel Innovations? Never heard of them. Sounds like some fly by night company. Run while you still can. :lol::lol: See sig.

#8 ·
If you don't already have gauges definately get some.

#9 ·
I certainly would get gauges BEFORE doing anything else for a bit. That way you get a baseline reading of the truck and know what mod does what for you.

#10 · (Edited)
Gauges were the first thing I purchased when I bought my 2002 F350 7.3 in 2004. next I changed out the cold air induction with a AFE stage 1 I have been running stock until last month. Then I open the exhaust to 4" Magnaflow. Then I added the chip. I do alot of reading on this forum and research before I buy. I spent several months reading and researching diesels what to buy what not to buy so on and then i spend several months looking for a 7.3 till I found the one I have. When I bought this one it had 32k. It is a crew cab with 8' bed Long son of a gun and I love it especially pulling my 5th wheel

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.