Pyrometer wiring diagram. - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine

'99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2006, 08:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Pyrometer wiring diagram.

Does anyone have a link to a basic pyrometer wiring diagram. The one in my truck really doesnt work at all (like that when I bought the truck) I wanna check all the wiring......seems like there is no power going to it.
2000 Red Ford F-250 7.3 Powerstroke Turbo Diesel, 3 gauge pillar with Autometer Phantom 2 gauges, DP Tuner F5 Chip 60,80,120,140,lope idle, Visor, Volant Cold Air Intake, dual 5" chrome curved stacks, Grill painted to match truck, towing mirrors, tinted windows, 2006 style emblems, back rack w/ diamond plate toolbox. Smoked LED taillights, 150psi Air Horns. Yea this truck is shiny and clean!
Big_Red_I444 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2006, 08:56 PM   #2 (permalink)
Banned

My Photos: (38)
Re: Pyrometer wiring diagram.

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone have a link to a basic pyrometer wiring diagram. The one in my truck really doesnt work at all (like that when I bought the truck) I wanna check all the wiring......seems like there is no power going to it.

[/ QUOTE ]

What kind of gauges do you have?
gregrob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-20-2006, 08:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

Banks Power Gauges. I took the guage out briefly once and there were only two wires attached (going to the thermocouple) shouldn't there be a power wire???
2000 Red Ford F-250 7.3 Powerstroke Turbo Diesel, 3 gauge pillar with Autometer Phantom 2 gauges, DP Tuner F5 Chip 60,80,120,140,lope idle, Visor, Volant Cold Air Intake, dual 5" chrome curved stacks, Grill painted to match truck, towing mirrors, tinted windows, 2006 style emblems, back rack w/ diamond plate toolbox. Smoked LED taillights, 150psi Air Horns. Yea this truck is shiny and clean!
Old 05-20-2006, 09:03 PM   #4 (permalink)
Banned

[ QUOTE ]
Banks Power Gauges. I took the guage out briefly once and there were only two wires attached (going to the thermocouple) shouldn't there be a power wire???

[/ QUOTE ]

If it just has two wires going the the thermocouple it's a mechanical gauge. If it were an electric gauge, the wires from the thermocouple would go to a brain or the the gauge if the brain was inside.

Not a lot to troubleshoot with a mechanical gauge, I would just replace it. ISSPRO's work well for me.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:06 PM   #5 (permalink)

Ok Thanks! I think I'll just replace the guages.
Old 05-20-2006, 09:07 PM   #6 (permalink)
Banned

[ QUOTE ]
Ok Thanks! I think I'll just replace the guages.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you decide to I can recommend http://dieselmanor.com David knows his stuff, they have awesome prices and the ISSPRO's match stock really well.
Old 05-21-2006, 09:57 AM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Banks Power Gauges. I took the Gage out briefly once and there were only two wires attached (going to the thermocouple) shouldn't there be a power wire???

[/ QUOTE ]

If it just has two wires going the the thermocouple it's a mechanical gauge. If it were an electric gauge, the wires from the thermocouple would go to a brain or the the gauge if the brain was inside.

Not a lot to troubleshoot with a mechanical gauge, I would just replace it. ISSPRO's work well for me.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not true, a two wire thermocouple produces it's own current (increased temperature applied to the probe creates an increased current flow in the leads) and is measured in milliamperes, this current is what drives the gage. The gage is calibrated to the length of the leads, that is why it is critical that the leads not be trimmed. You can check for function of the probe with a milliamp meter in series with the leads of the probe however without proper reference data you will not know what ma value equals what temp reading on the gage movement. One way to verify the accuracy of the gage is with infrared thermometer aimed at the location of the probe, and with the engine running compare values.

Ray
2002 PSD True Blue/Silver; BTS Tranny, 6.0l tranny cooler, BTS Chip, ITP Regulated return fuel system W/Dieselsite fuel cooler, intank mod, Dahl 100 prepump mod, Banks Turbo housing + comp. wheel W/ Banks Brake, Banks 6L Technicooler CAC, AIH mod, AIS air filter, Modified Zoodad and Harpooned, 203* T-Stat, CCV reroute. Pull 35' Montana
LoessHill is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-21-2006, 01:06 PM   #8 (permalink)
Banned

What's not true? You just described a mechanical pyro, the one I have is electronic, it has a brain.

Good info for testing the thermocouple, thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > '99 & up Upgrades and Aftermarket - 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.