Rain and stacks - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2006, 01:37 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Rain and stacks

Ok, I know this may sound stupid and probably has been asked before. I have searched and searched and could not find what I am looking for.
How do you keep water out of stacks? Do you have to run out every time just before a rain shower and put something over the tops of them? I do NOT want the flapper on the top. I want 5" miter cut stacks even with the top of my truck.
2000 F-250 4x4 PSD Screw. Propane injected, 6pos. chip W/TWildman "custom" tunes, Tymar intake, BTS valve body, 4" turbo back exhaust, Over-boost eliminator, Wicked Wheel, CCV mod. Waste gate mod. 3 Auto Meters. And more.
Fordafied is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-09-2006, 01:46 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Rain and stacks

i just put 7" miter cut on mine and i think it will be fine if u drive yur druck everyday, the rain will just blow out or you could drill a hole on the bottom of the Y-pipe and put a drain in there.
Autometer Triple Guage Pillar
Swamps 275cc Injectors
DI 4 Position Chip with Stock, 75, 100, 140
Bully Dog Accumulator Springs
Wicked Wheel
Heavy Right Foot
Motox502 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2006, 02:47 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (13)

I'd vote for the drain hole. Just imagine the back of your truck with rainy soot blasted out when you drive it after a rain. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shocked.gif[/img]
REBORN 20 Over on 3/2/11- Pics in Gallary- 2000 F250, Auto, 38r, Full Force 238cc/100%, TE 17* hpop, DP F5,HI,60T,80E,120R,140A, Studs and 910's with DI PR's, ARI TC, JW VB, Walbro 392, TC Lock, Bellowed, In-Tank, Pre-Pump, boost fooler, and RR. Air Dog, SS cover, 6.0 TOC,4" straigt piped and guages, 6637, 203T, coolant filter, 4" Lift on 33's.
kilapapipa is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2006, 03:02 PM   #4 (permalink)

I have 5" miter cut stackes on my truck and let me tell you im glad my truck is black everything get full of black spots [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bleh.gif[/img] i have a gooseneck trailer and i haul tractors, if its raining when i haul them they even get full of black spots. I love my stacks but they do make a mess I saw someplace you can get "flappers" for the miter cut pipes but I cant find the name now [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
1999 f350 4x4 drw crew cab auto trans, Hydra chip, AFE II air filter,ftvb,full force stage 1 inj., gtp38r turbo,ccv mode, autometer gauges , 135,000 miles. 1996 dodge cummins auto trans 4x4 reg. Cab boss vee plow. no mods all stock 240,000 miles
jdg5147 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2006, 03:03 PM   #5 (permalink)

On the ole tractor we used to put a coffee can up there.... was too cheap to buy a flapper for it.

Say... now theres a auntreprenewers dream come true! A whole new PSD mod market... Chrome Coffee cans! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]
2001 F-350 SuperCrewzer, Crew Cab Dualy LB XLT, 7.3L PSD, 4.10 LS, Oxford White w/ Silver lower tone, Med Grey interior, Power 40/20/40, Auto w/ Dacco Super Hauler TC and Magnafine, Towing Pkg w/ Dual Alts, Ford AIC, Prodigy, Gentex Mirror, Cobra 29WXNWST, 5ft Firestik II, X Monitor, Baldwin Coolant Filter, Sony OH Video system, Yakima Racks and basket, 45 gal auxiliary tank and 12V Pump, Towing a 26 Foot Prowler Lite.

http://www.cphilip.com
cphilip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2006, 04:39 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (9)

Engine Enterprise Sell soem pretty cool stack covers
Old 01-09-2006, 06:40 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (12)

just drill a small 1/4" weep hole at the lowest point of your exhaust. it's small enough that barely any exhaust will escape, and it will allow water to drain from the exhaust so that it doesn't throw *puddles* of soot everywhere!
40" Toyo MT's, KMC XD Rockstar 20x12, 12" Lift, Donahoe Racing Signiture Resevoirs, PSC Hydraulic Assist with X-Over Steering, Dynatrac Superduty Combo Kit, Velvet ride Shackles, 4.11 Yukon Gears, Dana 80 Swap with ARB Locker, SSBC V10 8 Piston Caliper Brakes, SBC DD Pulling Clutch, Custom 5" Turbo Back Straight Pipe, Autometer Ultra Lites, Line X, Warn Hubs, AMP Research Power Steps, Retrax Tonneau, Blitz TT, Kenwood System w/JL12W6, 6000K HIDs, Flames by KC Customs, Road Armor Bumpers Front and Rear with PIAAs and Hellas.

MOTOR SWAP COMPLETE!

2003 Cummins ISBe Common Rail - ARP Studs, VGT Twin setup, ATS 3-piece, Smarty Programmer, Edge EZ, F1 Diesel Flux 2 Sticks and Cam, Floor It Diesel Stage 2 CP3.

My Truck Pics -

http://www.truckblog.com/drspeed- Writer and Photographer
DrSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2006, 05:02 PM   #8 (permalink)

I have turnouts and have never had a problem!!

previous trucks:
2001 F-250 PSD CC SWB 4" lift, 315's, DP Tuner..
late '99 F-350 PSD CC LWB 4" lift, 315's, DP......
early '99 F-250 PSD SC SWB short shifted 6-speed, 5" stacks, 5.5" lift, 4.30 gears, DP Tuner, etc....
1997 F-350 PSD 4x4, 4" lift, 35's, Superchips tuner

TRUCK PICS
dondiesel444 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-10-2006, 09:41 PM   #9 (permalink)

This might sound like bs to some, but if I ever run a stack, I'll actually have a small "water trap" that's lower than the rest of the piping to catch the water. I'll then place a large solenoid valve in the bottom of that section of pipe that energizes from a relay that is switched by the glowplug relay for source. That way it will turn on the longest when the truck is coldest (most likely had the longest time to collect water) but will not drain any power from the glowplug system but will automatically purge the system and then close once the glowplugs turn off, all automated. And if the exhaust system heat is too much for the specific solenoid you find then use a small section of tube to space it from the main pipe. Or just use a stepper motor/servo to pull a mechanical valve. But I honestly think you could find a solenoid that would work fine.

Charlie
CharlieII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2006, 12:29 AM   #10 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
I have 5" miter cut stackes on my truck and let me tell you im glad my truck is black everything get full of black spots [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bleh.gif[/img] i have a gooseneck trailer and i haul tractors, if its raining when i haul them they even get full of black spots. I love my stacks but they do make a mess I saw someplace you can get "flappers" for the miter cut pipes but I cant find the name now [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

Even with the weep hole you will still get the black spots. Flappers would help but if they are open when running you still get water down in the exhaust and the black spots. The spots are from soot mixing with the falling rain or water drops coming off the cab, or off the stacks, the exhaust coming out, etc... Turnouts is the only way <font color="red">to limit it, not elminate it </font>. I tried a set of turnouts on my stacks when towing my WHITE boat in the rain, still had black spots.

Maybe I should try turning my chip down, nah, I clean the black spots off...don't tow in rain??????

Forgot to mention about when they fill with snow... when the truck fires the snow flys up about 3 to 4 feet above the stacks. With 500 to 600 degree exhaust temps it doesn't take long for the stuff to melt and/or evaporate.
My Wife's Truck is a 2000 Super Cab, 7.3, DRW, XLT, 4X4,PSD, 6spd, 3.73, Dark Toreador Red, 4in DP, no muffler, 5 inch Black Cloud Slant Cut Stacks, SWAMPED, Stage III's plus a Custom Burned 6 position chip.

'12 Lariat, CC, DRW, 4x4, loaded
Big Boy w/ Big Toys is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2006, 05:01 PM   #11 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
This might sound like bs to some, but if I ever run a stack, I'll actually have a small "water trap" that's lower than the rest of the piping to catch the water. I'll then place a large solenoid valve in the bottom of that section of pipe that energizes from a relay that is switched by the glowplug relay for source. That way it will turn on the longest when the truck is coldest (most likely had the longest time to collect water) but will not drain any power from the glowplug system but will automatically purge the system and then close once the glowplugs turn off, all automated. And if the exhaust system heat is too much for the specific solenoid you find then use a small section of tube to space it from the main pipe. Or just use a stepper motor/servo to pull a mechanical valve. But I honestly think you could find a solenoid that would work fine.

Charlie

[/ QUOTE ]

Well your first sentence about sums it up for me. IMO it just seems like alot of extra cost and intricacy where its not really needed. I'd think that its going to be more prone to failure, but why not just have a small hole, i mean its not like you're putting a 1" hole in it. I guess I'm just used to working on all sorts of over engineered equipment where a simple design will work just as well and have only a 1/4 the failure rate, but thats just me.

Engine mods: CCV reroute, DIY intake using Green filter, 4" SS MBRP downpipe, 4" straight pipe exhaust, DP Tuner stock/40/80/120 chip, ATS BB turbo on the way, FASS fuel system

Drivetrain mods: FTVB, Suncoast SD43 TC waiting to go in.

Exterior mods: Putco billet grill, Owens fiberglass running boards, 265/75/16 MTRs
powerstroke73 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2006, 09:20 PM   #12 (permalink)

I guess I like the idea of using whatever sized hole I want that will actually evacuate the water, and THEN actually not have a hole in my exhaust system while running down the road, lol. Just seems crazy to purposefully put a hole in your exhaust system. But that's just me talkin lol.

Charlie [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2006, 09:24 PM   #13 (permalink)
Zro

[ QUOTE ]
Just seems crazy to purposefully put a hole in your exhaust system. But that's just me talkin lol.

Charlie [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

....we have 5" holes out the end..... [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

I win.
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]

-DI chip

9.5@72 no lock-up.
15.1@89.62 with 9.68 1/8 :P

www.diperformance.com
Zro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-11-2006, 09:25 PM   #14 (permalink)

Lol, I guess I meant I don't like the idea of holes before the big one at the end, lol [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

Charlie
Old 01-11-2006, 09:33 PM   #15 (permalink)

If ya run big enough pipe under the truck the water actualy won't come out like a rain shower, but rather just boil out as you drive, I rarely get soot on either of mine, just a few black dots that show up after a few weeks of not getting washed.

Diesel Rod

A '97 F250 with 295K miles, 90 LED's and 5" stacks, among other things....

A '96 F250 Reg cab with 210K miles, Needs to go away. PM me.
'86 359 Peterbilt SHORT HOOD. The ongoing "project" it aint pretty but its got a 425 air to air Cat motor .....13 speed Eaton. Corvette Dash, 17 gauges, 8" black stacks, 63" flat top---> 36" sitting here waiting for paint. 1.305 Million Miles.

I don't know what I am doing, I just know I don't have time to do it.
brahamfireman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.