Seafoam? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-20-2009, 01:21 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Question Seafoam?

What will Seafoam do to you motor? i heard it helps make it more efficient. have any of you ever used it and how do you use it? i have a 99 f-250 with 194,000 miles and use Lucas in the fuel every tank.
bricewilson64 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2009, 02:05 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Seafoams main purpose is to clean the fuel system and injectors. It will supposedly clean combustion chambers. I used it in my IDI and It sure felt like I gained some power. I poured the entire contents in my fuel filter and then restarted the truck. It complained for about 10 minutes and if I goosed the throttle, the smoke was FOUL smelling. The directions on the can say to fill your filter or add it to the tank. My next filter change I will do it again in the filter. About 2 weeks ago we did the same thing on my sons '98 Dodge 5.9 12V and he said it is running stronger..
1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually Photos
ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler: Pictures Here
2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure
Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns: Pictures here

PM please not visitor message
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2009, 07:42 PM   #3 (permalink)

seafoam

not trying to sound stupid here but i've never heard of this, what is it and where do you get it
jcashtrucking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2009, 08:20 PM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bricewilson64 View Post
What will Seafoam do to you motor? i heard it helps make it more efficient. have any of you ever used it and how do you use it? i have a 99 f-250 with 194,000 miles and use Lucas in the fuel every tank.
I replaced the fuel filter element, filled the bowl with Seafoam, pour the rest in the tank, and she never missed a lick. I am sure she runs smoother with mileage improvement.
2001 Ford F-250 PS, CC, 2/w drive short bed, auto(BTS upgrade), Banks Stinger Plus and exhaust brake, TurboSaver, HX,Hutch mod/pooned, K&N FIPK, Mag-Hytec trans and diff pans, Cyclone fan, doodad, Bilstein shocks, Air-lifts front and rear, dp-Tuner F-5 chip, Fleetrite/203therm, fuel regulator shim, GOS headlight harness/silverstars, Bob's coolent filter, Rotella Syn w/single by-pass.
HoneyShucks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-20-2009, 09:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
RDG
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcashtrucking View Post
not trying to sound stupid here but i've never heard of this, what is it and where do you get it
AutoZone has it.
NRA Member
Retired UAW 383
RDG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2009, 11:28 AM   #6 (permalink)

I've run seafoam in all of my vehicles. My dad has used it for over 30 years when ever he has some slack buildup, to dissolve varnish in older engines, as a fuel injector cleaner, to decarb top ends and he really likes it because it is safe on diesels, 2 and 4 strokes. It is one of the very few universal cleaners that will not hurt anything. They started as a marine engine cleaner and that is where he picked it up.

Another product that I use in my diesel and enjoyed was the BG 44K Power Enhancer. I bought it locally upon recommendation from a friend. It worked just as designed and never had a problem with it.

Edit: Most auto parts dealers have them I.E. Autozone, O'reilly, Pepboys, etc. Trying getting a shop price on the large container. You will find uses for it everywhere and it's a lot cheaper per ounce that way.

Seafoam - All Around Cleaner (Removes all types of buildup, Conditions fuel, cleans injectors, etc)
Link to how to use seafoam in diesel applications: Sea Foam

BG 44K Power Enhancer - Mostly An Engine Cleaner (Carbon buildup, injector cleaner)
BG 248 Maximum Diesel Performance - Fuel System Cleaner
General description of BG products: BG Products, Inc.

Last edited by 01F250CCLB4X4; 04-21-2009 at 11:39 AM.
01F250CCLB4X4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2009, 12:19 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)
Walmart here carries Seafoam, I have used it but only in the tank, not in the filter.

BUILD DATE 08/00

stateboy776 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-21-2009, 01:31 PM   #8 (permalink)

I don't know about diesel but I use Seafoam regularly when I am dealing with appliances that will not be used for a long time like the lawn mower in the winter or the snow blower in summer. Other than that, people have made claims that it cleans this, that or the other. None of it documented so I don't believe them. To me cleaning fuel parts like this is simply like sweeping the floor of a room in the dark. You never know if you got it all or whether you missed something or the floor is cracked. If you think there is an injector problem, take the things out and have them tested so you KNOW what it is doing at the time instead of guessing. Sure, they can go bad right after you reinstall them but I think the odds are better with an actual inspection.
01 Excursion 7.3L Powerstroke. Gauges with AIH Delete, AIS, CCV Mod, 4' MBRP, BTS Trans, 6.0L Trans Cooler and Intercooler, DP-Tuner F5 chip, ITP In Tank Mod and Boost Annihilator, Diesel Innovation's Regulated Fuel kit, BTS Big Oil system, GTP38R Turbo with 1.15 A/R housing and BPD Stage II AC injectors. Bilstein Shocks with U code front and A code Rear.
aklim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-24-2009, 07:48 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
At 200K Blackstone sugest that I extend my oil change interval because my oil was not breaking down. Now I change the oil 6K are longer and use Seafoam every other oil change. 500 miles before the oil change add a can to the oil and watch the difference in the color of the oil. WOW 263K and no prolbems.
97 F250 Power Stroke CC SRW 3.55 E40D Transgo shiftkit "Dacco Performance Plus Torque Converter" 3inch DP Lost Cat 19.7mpg @ 70mph With Bill's chip 21.75mpg @ 70mph Stancor Relay Home made Tymar "WOW"!
Hers 2001 F350 crew shortbed stock

Last edited by jayles; 04-24-2009 at 07:51 PM.
jayles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.