Should I Chip it? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2012, 07:19 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Should I Chip it?

I have a 2000 7.3 and it is all factory except 4 inch from turbo back. I really want to step up the performace. So obvious choice is a chip ive been looking at a ts performance 6 position chip.

wanting opinions on if these hurt engine longevity. engine already has 245k on it. and honestly just wanting some black smoke. my idi smoked like crazy. just wanting to hear of other 7.3 owners experience. heard lots of 6.0 horror stories know all about that any advice welcomed
Jwyow865 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-25-2012, 08:09 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Welcome to the Diesel Stop.
Your going to get lots of different opinions from lots of different members running lots of different tunes. In my opinion Like anything else, proper use and respect shouldn't have a noticeable reduction in the lifespan of your engine. Make sure you include gauges in your budget, so you can monitor things.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
1994 F-350 7.3 IDI Turbo, crew cab, E4OD,4:10 L/S, LB, Dually Photos
ATS Turbo upgrades: 3" DP with 3" exhaust Magnaflow XL muffler: Pictures Here
2012 Copper Canyon 273 FWRET w/2 slides, Air Lift 5000 bags
Pillar pod: Autometer C2 Series gauges: pyro,trans, boost, water, oil pressure
Hypermax Cowl induction, K&N air filter, flex-a-lite 26K trans cooler with fan,Tekonsha prodigy
Train Horns: Pictures here

PM please not visitor message
chuckster57 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 12:58 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
X2...you must use guages..Custom tunes will be better than std TS tunes. If a Auto a chip may just take it out with 245k miles on it..

IF I can help please PM or email me.

Cary

We developed the Reverse Shackle SD spring swaps for D60 '85-04 and D60 '05 up axle swap with suspension for the OBS.
We developed the B mod, Bilstein special valving, suspension and handling cures for the Excursions.

We know what it takes to make a OBS or SD ride fantastic!

We only carry the BEST parts and never compromise just to get a sale.

Dealer for: Custom kit H2e and H2e modded turbos, Full Force Diesel Injectors! Icon, Pure Performance, Bilstein, RS-SD and 99 up suspension swaps kits for OBS and SD trucks, BTS Trans, Tunes by Tony Wildman , Tymar products, Hella lighting, True Projection Hid's, Isspro guage kits, If I can help you with your truck please PM or Email me.

Cary
email: ctperformanceinc@yahoo.com
Website: http://www.ctperformanceinc.com introduction only, we want personal contact to insure you get what you need.
caryt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-26-2012, 06:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

Good tunes will help you out tremendously. I would also recommend adding gauges when you install a chip.

We can get you setup with a chip and some tunes if you would like.
Like us on Facebook!
828-221-0076 ext.804
justin@dp-tuner.com
Justin@DP-Tuner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 07:55 AM   #5 (permalink)

Thanks guys trans is a reman from ford with 35k on it. I have trans temp boost gauges and want to add egt but worried about drilling into manifold. The thought of shavings in the turbo makes me cringe
Old 12-27-2012, 08:11 AM   #6 (permalink)
RT
Lifetime Supporting Member

Don't worry about that - there are several different techniques to greatly minimize or eliminate that. I used a vacuum cleaner next to my drill bit. When I got through, I used a magnet in the hole and tapped all around - nothing made it into the hole using the vacuum. Plus, think how many hundreds of thousands of us that have done this and had no problems.

I am sure the custom tunes from Caryt are great - all of his products are. I don't have any personal experience with them, but I do with the DP-Tuner. That is the best thing I have ever done to my truck. You will absolutely hate yourself for waiting this long to do it.
2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM
RT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 12:03 PM   #7 (permalink)

There really is no need to worry about metal shavings. Most, if not all, will come falling down on you while drilling.

Just do not put the EGT probe in the downpipe like some people do. The temperatures there are about 300* cooler than your manifold/cylinder temperature.
Like us on Facebook!
828-221-0076 ext.804
justin@dp-tuner.com
Justin@DP-Tuner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-27-2012, 12:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Ok that was the next question lol if I could be in the down pipe with the probe

And also what is so different in the standard tunes on the ts versus a custom tunes if its made for the 7.3 how much more custom can it get just a question not real familiar with the tunes

Sent from my SCH-R950 using AutoGuide.Com Free App
Old 12-27-2012, 01:09 PM   #9 (permalink)
RT

The tunes are custom written to your upgrades, transmission, driving needs, etc.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App
2003 F-250 XLT Crew Cab 7.3L, Chrome BigTex Grille Guard, Quad pillar - 3 ISSPRO gauges (trans, pyro, boost) and DP-Tuner F6; Roush fuel pressure / temperature / oil pressure gauges, Ford Severe Duty AIS, 31 row 6.0 transmission cooler, ScanGauge II, Marinco mod, Walker BTM
RT is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 10:42 PM   #10 (permalink)

You can drill while the truck is running and all the metal shavings will be blown out (and onto you, so where safety glasses) as you're drilling. Not that big of a deal really.
Early 99 F350 4X4 CC 7.3 Auto. A.R.E. Topper, bed carpet/bench inserts, Rhino grill guard, CCV Canister Style Mod, AIS w/sleeve, Fuel filler mod, GOS headlight harness, Hella 80/100s, 02-04 Headlights, Rancho HD stabilizer, 06 Telescoping/heated mirrors with C-Btr Mirrors, Hella FF1000, Htr Bypass valve, front receiver hitch, Quadzilla XZT gauges, ITP Pre-pump/In-tank mods, Pioneer P5000UB w/XM radio, 4 Infinity Kappa 682.7cf, Fumoto valve, FIAMM Highway blaster horns, SS HPX, IDM mod, DP F5 (Stock,Drive-thru,60T,80E,120,80E-Mountain,1200), Walker BTM, RR, Dieselsite BRV, BTS Tranny, 26 row tranny cooler, Bilstein shocks, Amsoil bypass oil filter, Donaldson ELF7405 oil filter, billet thermostat housing, front & rear parking cameras, Aux reverse lights, Heated Seats.

Security: CrimeGuard Alarm with remote notification, DIY jimmi-jammers, door cylinder locks and linkage removed, padlocked rear bench seat hinge, PCM, DIY "pitstop" switch.
losfinch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 10:32 AM   #11 (permalink)

Get gauges. Dp- tunner is good. I have on. It wakes the truck up.
Strictly diesel overboost annihilator
jobeperformance intake
dieselsite 203 t stat, coolant filter, evans coolant
38r with bank-bighead installed, diesel site non ebv flange international up-pipes coated, diesel site engine boot-kit, non-ebv pedestal
strictly diesel regulated fuel return kit 65psi.
new fuel bowl
CMF+ intake
isspro ev2 pyrometer(pre turbo), fuel pressure, coolant temp, HPOP gauge Matt
Matthew Harris is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-05-2013, 11:06 AM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwyow865 View Post
wanting opinions on if these hurt engine longevity.
My opinion, backed by 29 years of automotive engineering experience, is that yes, this will hurt your engine's longevity. How much it will hurt it is an open question. That depends on many factors. One of the most important factors is how you drive it.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Mark Kovalsky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-06-2013, 11:38 AM   #13 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
Well my old '95 has now got 280k miles on it, chiped day one 45k miles pulling a 35' 5th wheel then had stage 2's for about 100k miles...now stage 1's for the new owner last 40k. Getting 18-19 hy 16 town.

We developed the Reverse Shackle SD spring swaps for D60 '85-04 and D60 '05 up axle swap with suspension for the OBS.
We developed the B mod, Bilstein special valving, suspension and handling cures for the Excursions.

We know what it takes to make a OBS or SD ride fantastic!

We only carry the BEST parts and never compromise just to get a sale.

Dealer for: Custom kit H2e and H2e modded turbos, Full Force Diesel Injectors! Icon, Pure Performance, Bilstein, RS-SD and 99 up suspension swaps kits for OBS and SD trucks, BTS Trans, Tunes by Tony Wildman , Tymar products, Hella lighting, True Projection Hid's, Isspro guage kits, If I can help you with your truck please PM or Email me.

Cary
email: ctperformanceinc@yahoo.com
Website: http://www.ctperformanceinc.com introduction only, we want personal contact to insure you get what you need.
caryt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 04:47 PM   #14 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
I would chip it. But, if you drive it like a hot rod, then I imagine you will shorten the life. I was hesitant to chip mine and waited until after the warranty was done. I think that was at about 65k miles or so. I drive mine like a grandpa and then zip around in my old BMW.
2002 F-250, PSD 6-speed, CC, short bed, 4X4, Toreador Red w/ Silver accent, A.R.E mx cap, Weld Super Single II and 33s in the summer, x-springs, F-350 blocks and badges, AIC, proflaps, ITP intank mod, AirDog with 3 micron filter, isspro guages and TTM, scangauge, husky liners, alarm, xm stereo,stull 5399-p grille, centramatics, ccv mod, AIS Air Filter, Southbend CON O, Detroit Truetrac LSD, coolant filter, 203 stat with billet housing, blackcloud intake heater plug/boost fitting, reese titan hitch, fabcraft PTO cover/temp sender port, prodigy brake controller, ITP Boost Annihalator, oilguard bypass filter, Mag-Hytec rear dif, bilsteins, hellwig rear stabilizer bar, ATS housing, non-ebpv pedistal and exhaust flange, magnaflow 3.5dp exhaust, ITP reg return, turbomaster wastegate controller, and ceramic coated bellowed up pipes, PHP 50t and 80p, currently 105,000 miles.
clydesdale is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-14-2013, 09:26 AM   #15 (permalink)

Ended up going with a 6 position ts switch but how do I get custom tunes on the chip
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.