Thinking of Dual Range® Auxiliary Transmissions from US Gear - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-01-2006, 10:53 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Thinking of Dual Range® Auxiliary Transmissions from US Gear

Anyone have or use it? I feel the need to spend the money with the fuel situation. Need overdrive with my 4:10 rear and 4X4. They say 20% change which would give me about 3:53 ratio. Need advice. And yes it will pay for itself at current price of fuel. At least I think it will. I do 150k per year on truck and fuel is now just over half the cost. I hate driving 60mph.
2002 F350 Lariat 7.3 dually 4X4 crew cab 4:10 rear, BTS trans, ATTA 110 gallon tank plus tool box, B&W turnover ball hitch, Line-X custom gray, BTM, Sirius Radio, OilGuard, Hypertech.
barryf350 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-01-2006, 12:39 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
Re: Thinking of Dual Range® Auxiliary Transmissions from US Gear

I'm a little interested in these too, but haven't really looked into it yet.
2002 F-250 Lariat 4x4 crew-cab short-bed automatic, lots of stuff from DI Performance (Diesel Innovations)713/984-9441, Terminator hpop, ATS trans, and some good help from Chris Pitre at Pitre Automotive of Lafayette, LA 337/945-8049 (and a few other great sponsors) pm me for any details; Best time on 37's = 13.09 @ 102mph, #2 only;12.18 @ 111.71mph on Da Juice

Current Project: '86 Toyota regular cab, full tube chassis, fully built 7.3 Diesel Innovations Powerstroke engine and Terminator hpos
imelmo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2006, 01:06 PM   #3 (permalink)

will be looking into it. I now know they can install one on my 4X4. My logic for buying is mpg. Doing 150k a year with what I estimate as being able to use US Gear's overdrive about 60% of the time. Estimate possible 2 mpg improvement. This should give me savings of 803 gallons. This equates to 803 X $3.00 per gal = $2409 (yr). Cost of the overdrive would run around $3000 to $3500 est. I also think my estimates maybe low on the fuel savings. Hope I am not low on the cost of the drive. Fuel also seems to be going higher.
2002 F350 Lariat 7.3 dually 4X4 crew cab 4:10 rear, BTS trans, ATTA 110 gallon tank plus tool box, B&W turnover ball hitch, Line-X custom gray, BTM, Sirius Radio, OilGuard, Hypertech.
Old 08-01-2006, 01:10 PM   #4 (permalink)

I ran a GearVendors behind a C6 that was attatched to a 500 inch big block in my 75 F250 4x4 and it worked great. It got the snot beat out of it and it's still alive. When I repowered the F250 I gave the GearVendors to a friend, it's now behind a 4L80E in a 3500 (I hate to admit I'm friends with people who drive that other brand) and has just over 220K miles on the GV. All I've ever done was change the oil.
pmurray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2006, 01:49 PM   #5 (permalink)

you gave him a gear vendors even though he drives a unspeakable brand truck?can i be your new friend?
New ride 1995 FRTLNR FLD120 Reman DD12.7 470hp,13spd,3.08 rears.Yeah I know,all the DD bashing I've done and I go and buy one.With the reman in it for $14,750 my mechanic said if I didn't buyit he would.
4 SALE 1993 FRTLNR coe N14 460hp,13spd,single axle,all aluminum wheels.
claytonr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2006, 03:58 PM   #6 (permalink)

Well, yes I did give him the GV. Later that year he gave me most of the fixings to build my 1874 HP cruising engine and inframed my 3406 since I was too lazy to do it myself. Then I gave him my Dedenbear powerglide cause I was tired of it. We just trade junk back and forth.
pmurray is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2006, 04:15 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)

If you change your mind and decide on a GV unit, I have one with only 40k on it. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img]
95 F350 Crewcab4X4: TE Twin Turbo(BB fed by a Precision Hybrid from BWD), Industrial Injection BD Injectors, DIIC with custom stainless 3" piping, Terminator HPOS, DI headstuds, BTS tranny, TruCool 40GVW cooler, DP LIVE TUNED F5 with Extreme ICP(ya, it works)!, Custom fuel system, MagHytec diff cover.

01 F350 Regcab4X4: soon to be shortened.

97 F350 Regcab4X4: Twin Turbo's, lots of fuel and oil.

02 Excursion4X4Limited: Wifes ride: Terminator HPOS2, DP Tuner F5

http://community.webshots.com/user/gsxrturboquad

SDRCM #7
GSXRTURBOQUAD is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-01-2006, 08:29 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

The USG unit is a very well made, all mechanical gear train. The weakness in the design is simply it's harshness if you want to use it for "splitting" (really only an issue with manual trans, and with practise, it can be done quite smoothly), and its very small oil capacity. With only 1 quart on board, a leak could be bad. If you are over 30k and running fast, heat buildup could be an issue (is also a big deal with the GV at those weights). Stick with a full synth 75W-90 gear lube, Mobil, Redline, etc.

However, don't expect some big gain in mileage on a diesel. You MIGHT see one mpg (which is still significant), but I would be surprised if you got any more. If you were always running empty, a rear axle gear change is cheaper, but if you want to go bewtween towing and empty gearing, this is the best way by far. The other option (GV) won't work in 4x4 - a big deal if you tow in the rough or snow.

You will be amazed at how much quieter the truck can be with the revs down by 20%. Almost worth the price of admission (in my admittedly noisy 450).

And, I forgot to mention, these things are bulletproof.
2000 F450 Lariat 4x4 tractor, rebuild at 200k in '12, Air Dog, Reg Mod, HX & HP all in hard SS lines, bypass filter, Banks Power Elbow w/3.5 dp, no intake heat, CCV mod, AIS (w/extra hole), some big Alliant single shots, GP indicator LED, custom 4" exhaust, 4" USG exhaust brake, custom alum. rear diff cover extension (dipstick & temp), Detroit locker, ESPAR D5 aux. heat, custom alum tow deck and fuel tanks, Bushwacker 1 1/2" flares, 9k winch, gin poles, JWSpeaker 8900 LED headlamps in XL grille, Lightforce 240GT (still Halogen, but VERY bright), Hella Micro DE HID fogs, KW = vision plus (Isspro) instruments, more to come & lots of other diesels
Pat Dolan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-22-2006, 07:59 PM   #9 (permalink)

I noticed on ths GV site that it had listed the 4X4. http://www.gearvendors.com/4x4.html. Check out 3D0273. What do you think? Tried to price this at Camping World but the salesmen could not get the info. Left my info but they never called.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:07 PM   #10 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
I noticed on ths GV site that it had listed the 4X4. http://www.gearvendors.com/4x4.html. Check out 3D0273. What do you think? Tried to price this at Camping World but the salesmen could not get the info. Left my info but they never called.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pricing on site Pricing $2895

Better check torque limits with mfg if you've got a bunch of mods.
Old 08-23-2006, 06:14 AM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)

I'm running one and it works great. The previous owner had installed it and I don't do any heaving towing so I basically use it for the highway. It makes cruising much more comfortable just due to the lower rpms and you probably get 1-2 mpg but that's hard to say. I've definitely recorded 20mpg on all highway driving with the OD unit, but never tried it with the 4:10's. And unless I'm missing something, the unit is a .8 reduction, and 4:10 x .8 = 3.28, so you'll notice it for sure. The shifts are a little slow and harsh, so actually splitting gears might get annoying like Pat was saying - but I don't actually shift it enough to care. Hope that helps answer some questions.

Steve

Upgrades: BDP Stage I's, Stealth HPOP, BB Turbo with 1.0 wastegated housing, 6 pos DP Tuner chip, SBC OFE, dual SD fuel pumps, traction bars, US Gear OD, MAP regulator, SP Dongle, downpipe, extra 45 gal fuel tank, EGT-boost-TIP gauges, bilsteins, TYMAR, no cat, 3.5" flowmaster into 4" exhaust, gutted EBPV, XM SKYFi2, cab lights, BFG AT 285/75/16, Autoenginuity, 169k on 5/10/06

Coming soon: 6.0 Intercooler

Dyno'd 298/575, 296/582 before Stealth and Turbo
swh22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2006, 11:24 AM   #12 (permalink)

is your truck a 4x4? if not, I would sure think just changing the rear end ratios woudl be a LOT cheaper.

don't forget with GV you need to rebiuld rear driveline and install the GV, not totally trivial.

If it don't run, chrome it.
drmiller100 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2006, 11:59 AM   #13 (permalink)

I ran the US Gear (was Doug Nash then) behind a "built" 454 Chevy gas engine. I would gross about 22k most of the time. In 10,000 miles it had burn up two shift motors and three sets of points. Once when the shift motor went out, I attempted to change it on the side of the road. When I removed the cover over the points, the lube spilled out and was litterly boiling. The inside of the unit became covered in what appeared to be coke. Unless they have cured the overheating problem, I would be very leary.

I am going to change the gears under my 450 from 4.88 to 4.30. I get tired of turning 3,000 rpm's cruising down the highway.

Sold '88 F-350 SRW 7.3

Sold 95' F-350 with 135K and 97 with 180,000K

Sold '99 F-450 with 130k Hypermax chip & exhaust

2002 SRW F-350 w/150,000 miles
rrangus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-29-2006, 10:09 PM   #14 (permalink)

I chose to go with a US Gear over GearVender due to GV's refusal to work with me when I wanted to move the GV unit from my 86 to my 97 (required a different adapter). However, my order with US Gear, placed during the last week of June of this year, has still not arrived. I was told when I placed my order that it would be on back order for 6 weeks..javascript:void(0)
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img].. I called last week (8/25/06), and was told it would be another 5 weeks before my unit would be ready...... javascript:void(0)
[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

Regards
MK
Old 05-26-2011, 06:48 AM   #15 (permalink)

looking for a few parts for my dual range, cover parts mostly and an exploded view drawing. Running it in my motor home, 6.9 IDI 23 ft and 18mpg. love the dual range but they are not in production any more.
grayraven is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.