The Diesel Stop banner

Trans converter lock up control

3K views 16 replies 6 participants last post by  naquarium 
#1 ·
Has anyone on here installed a trans conv lock up control?

What brand did you use and is it worth the cost?

I would like to control it when in the mountains. I think if I could lock 2nd gear it would help.

Any answers or comments would be appreciated.

Thanks

#2 ·
So nobody has any experience with a converter lock up control?????

After I posted I saw that this was an engine only forum. Is there a way to move it to another?

#3 ·
I installed a lockup switch and you are right, locking in 2nd in the mountains is great.
I forgot which wire it is, but you just need to switch it to ground.
If only the was a way to get out of lockup when the computer holds it there at a weird time.

#4 ·
So it's as simple as installing a switch? It doesn't cause any problems with the computer? The companies that sell the controllers want $300-$500 for them.

Mine will be in 2nd pulling a grade and you have to let out of it a little for a turn and it shifts into 3rd locked, drops below 1500rpm and the motor lugs.

What kind of rpm drop can you get from locking 2nd gear?

#13 ·
Well, guess there's a lot more to think about. I had thought about doing this mod as a way to get some more engine braking, but, now I'm not so sure.

#16 ·
Good write up NYB I'm sure a lot will be interested in what you have written , there is a little more involved than just cutting a wire and fitting a toggle switch , as you described, more so the safety side of it.:thumbsup:

#17 ·
Your right about Jody, I've been dragging my feet cause I have the older tuner that you have to send to him.

Also when I say black smoke I don't mean alot, but I can see it in my mirror.

In some of my other posts I talk about my trans low speed heating up problems. I think I would still like to be able to engage lock in 2nd gear to try to help that. I've been told that 230F for a few minutes doesn't hurt it, but I sure don't like seeing it.

Maybe Jody can make me a tune that will lock 2nd and unlock if you drop to first or stop.

Thanks for the help!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.