The Diesel Stop banner

Tuner without gauges

6K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  drtrash 
#1 ·
First off, I am not a lead foot, want a DP tune to make pulling a 6k trailer easier and make shifting better. Don't tow over 65 mph. Truck has cool intake, 4" exhaust and 6.0 cooler. local shop wants $800 for 2 pod gauges installed, tuner is half that. Can I drive by mph vs gauges?

#2 ·
dr, I've received a lot of help on this site and read your post with the intention of hoping to give some assistance. But, I really don't understand your question. You didn't state which 2 gauges, but I'll assume an egt and trans; shouldn't cost $800. Driving by mph ?????? I have a DP tuner in my 1999 7.3, 3 tunes I think, with accelerated idle for ac in park, and lock out. It's been many years since I bought it, but it was reasonably priced and easily 'plugged in', not programmed; not sure about your truck. Give Jody a call at DP tuners.

#3 ·
high speed doesn't necessary mean high egts, it's more load based.

I would find a different shop to install the gauges. The gauges can be had for about 250. Then 30 bucks for a pod. You can get the instructions to install them yourself in a few hours.

I'd recommend a boost guage too. It will only add about 70 bucks more to the price. It's good for troubleshooting low boost or surge issues.

#4 ·
Good advice, blue.

#5 · (Edited)
Basically, my concern is can you redline trans temp and egt's with conservative operation with 60hp tow and 80 hp econo? Mostly drive by rpm's while towing. I gather from low response that gauges may not always be needed but important ant when you do.

#6 ·
Well the problem is you need to know what the temps are initially.

You may not have any issues with egt or trans temp but you don't know until you have a gauge on it.

#7 ·
Exactly. I can tell you I've never gotten close to the danger zones on any temperature using the DP-Tunes on flatland towing but you wouldn't know if a mechanical problem was occurring. You should be able to get into a Scangauge 2 and an EGT gauge for $200

#8 ·
Give us a call and we can get you setup with the right tune(s) for you application.

While it is not required to run gauges when adding power, it is a very good idea. I call it cheap insurance. The most important gauge, if you had to choose just one, would be the EGT gauge. Under normal circumstances, you should never have an EGT problem. But if something is going wrong, the gauge can warn you before catastrophic damage occurs.

#9 · (Edited)
I have five gauges plus a Scangauge and installed them all myself. You don't need that many gauges, it's just me I am sort of a guage freak. If I can install all these gauges then anybody can, it's not that hard with the proper instructions. I would never tow in the mountains with a chip and no EGT gauge, just wouldn't.
Bill

#11 ·
A lot of wisdom, looks like some analog gauges it will be, funny how you ask a question and it costs money and if you don't ask costs more. Will put tuner money into a pillar

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.