Wastegate, Red line, Turbo tube ?????????? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2005, 12:07 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Wastegate, Red line, Turbo tube ??????????

Just a few stupid questions for ya. I've tried the red line disconnect from the waste gate!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] man, talk about uncontrollable boost. I was afraid to really lay into it in fear of destroying my trubo, I was getting 30+ psi of boost at 1/2 trottle [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/eek.gif[/img] Now for the question. If I were to put a valve in the red line and bleed off some of the vacume to control the amount the wastegate opened and set it around 21-23 psi would that work? is this what you call a turbo tube?

does this have any draw backs... good, bad, indifferant??? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

The max I can get from my SP stage I is 17-19 in 1st and 2nd 20 psi in 3rd WOT then drops on its face in 4th

Thanks for the help guys
Big E
Alternator*Dieselsite boots*203 thermostat*6.0 trans cooler*AIH delete*CCV*ITP/KCM (HPX)*Coolant filter*08 diff cover*engine mounted fuel gauge*triple gauge*((XM))

2004 Keystone Sprinter 297fwbhs 5th wheel
with most of the goodies
my3wags is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-12-2005, 12:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Re: Wastegate, Red line, Turbo tube ??????????

Falling on its face sounds like an overboost code. Get a map line valve or get the electronic resistor version that t-taps the map wire, or a comparable boost fooler device for the map sensor to keep it from setting a code, as you are right in the area where you could be setting one.

As for boost control. That is the sole function of the wastegate. If you honestly want to control it, just adjust it with the hard linkage rod that goes from the actuator(thing the red line attaches to) to the arm on the wastegate that exits the exhaust housing toward the truck cowl. You can adjust this rod for the exact boost you want, assuming you don't put so much fuel to it that it can't physically let enough bypass the housing and the boost builds higher anyway. Or if you don't have enough fuel to get the boost you want. But neither of these apply to you with stock injectors. Just adjust the rod for the boost you want and leave the wastegate functional.

BTW, if you do go above 30lbs enough you WILL take out that turbo. So be forewarned.

If you need more detail on the adjustment do a search.
I know some posts have even included part#'s for the little clips on the rod.

Good Luck,

Charlie
CharlieII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2005, 12:30 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)

[ QUOTE ]
Falling on its face sounds like an overboost code. Get a map line valve or get the electronic resistor version that t-taps the map wire, or a comparable boost fooler device for the map sensor to keep it from setting a code, as you are right in the area where you could be setting one.

As for boost control. That is the sole function of the wastegate. If you honestly want to control it, just adjust it with the hard linkage rod that goes from the actuator(thing the red line attaches to) to the arm on the wastegate that exits the exhaust housing toward the truck cowl. You can adjust this rod for the exact boost you want, assuming you don't put so much fuel to it that it can't physically let enough bypass the housing and the boost builds higher anyway. Or if you don't have enough fuel to get the boost you want. But neither of these apply to you with stock injectors. Just adjust the rod for the boost you want and leave the wastegate functional.

BTW, if you do go above 30lbs enough you WILL take out that turbo. So be forewarned.

If you need more detail on the adjustment do a search.
I know some posts have even included part#'s for the little clips on the rod.

Good Luck,

Charlie

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your reply Charlie,
I probably used the wrong words "falls on its face" the boost drops to around 11-15 psi in 4th. I do have the electronic map sensor gizmo from SP diesel but I do still throw a SES light once in while. I dont have a code reader yet but checking into them.

As for adjusting the rod, I've read some threads on it and it looks like a pain in the A** with the crimped rod and all. The bummer is that I just had it out 2 weeks ago for the WW. I should have done it then. I might just get back in there and do it [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

But could one just bleed off some vac from the wastegate or is this the wrong way of doing it??

Thanks again
Big E
Alternator*Dieselsite boots*203 thermostat*6.0 trans cooler*AIH delete*CCV*ITP/KCM (HPX)*Coolant filter*08 diff cover*engine mounted fuel gauge*triple gauge*((XM))

2004 Keystone Sprinter 297fwbhs 5th wheel
with most of the goodies
my3wags is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2005, 12:56 PM   #4 (permalink)

black cloud sells a tube that extends off the wastegate with a brass piece inside my though of how it works is it resists the redline so that it takes longer to open the waste gate.. and then they also sell the map sensor boost relief not sure how well it works but its there
99 SUPERDUTY 7.3litre lariat 4" turbo back dual magnaflow muffler deleted, k+n intake, dp-tuner stock/high idle/40 tow/80 econ/120 race, guages(pyro,boost,tranny,fuel press)tow rig, intank mod(not harpoon), itp return fuel system, itp boost regulator

86 jeep cj7 5"lift 33" truxxs m/t built gass guzzling 258 200hp 230TQ play toy
moose99PS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2005, 07:15 PM   #5 (permalink)

The red line is under boost just so you know. Once the boost starts to build in the red line it starts to counteract the spring in the wastegate actuator. This is what lets the wastegate blow open dependent upon boost.

Yes you can put a little "boost tube" inline to let some of the boost escape the red line and delay the opening of the wastegate as well as leave more holding force for the actuator for maximum boost. The "boost tube" just has an orfice that allows some of the boost in the red line to escape without acting on the actuator spring.

Do whatever you're comfortable with. The "boost tube" method would not be as clean or technically correct as actually adjusting the wastegate. But it's obviously easier.

Good Luck,

Charlie
CharlieII is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.