The Diesel Stop banner

Wastegate Tweaking?

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  duncan351 
#1 ·
While I have the turbo off doing the "Turbo Pedestal EBPV Gutting mod" I'm cleaning and checking everything out while it's apart. One thing I've heard about and never done was adjusting the wastegate actuation rod. Is this possible, and are there any good threads about it? I love how early 2003 6.0Ls with exhaust sound & whistle like jets, even at just above idle.

It seemed someone posted about tightening the nut and shortening the rod would yield more turbo whistle on the 7.3Ls. Anyone who can comment on adjustment or send some links would be appreciated!

#2 ·
Just a quick update on this. I did end up making the wastegate not open as late as possible & it does run more boost now. It's basically like that modified linkage you can get where it doesn't let the wastegate open until it hits your pre-set point, except this obviously can't do that it just starts to open the wastegate later. Some people also unplug the line from the wastegate or plug it with a BB, but I'm afraid someone else might drive my truck sometime and not know that you should try & keep it < 25 psi.

#3 ·
Nice. It won't do anythingfor whistle just allow you to run more boost

#4 ·
Yeah I don't think it will change the whistle.

#5 ·
I adjusted my wastegate rod and it made a huge difference in boost response on my 7.3. I love it. I will say my is very tight and it was hard for me to get the rod back on the pin of the flapper however the truck feels soooo much better in response and I too had an increase in boost.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.