why does the trans cooler lines go through the radiator? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2006, 08:23 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (5)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
why does the trans cooler lines go through the radiator?

I installed an aftermarket trans cooler today and saw that one of the lines went into and back out of the radiator? What's going on in there?

DP F5 tuner (60tow,80econo,120race,140agres) sportcomp auto meter trans, boost-n-egt's, cyberdyne digital fuel pressure, coolant and fuel temps., napa tymar w/zoodad, wicked wheel, aih delete, evans lifetime 0 psi coolant, 203 t-stat, diesel site coolant filter, diesel site trans. filter, triple disk billet TC, rebuilt tranny with sonnax upgrades,Richter69 tuned valvebody, custom waste vegetable oil fuel system with FASS pump,(Vegistroke design) Made for cold weather w/50 gal. tank. 315/75/16 DickCepek MC's, 2" front spring lift, rino liner, Fisher Minuteman 8' plow, 3.5"dp to 4" w/dual 5" tips straight out the back w/ soot stains on the bumper, and real .357 bullet holes in the tail gate, not the silly stickers.
frashdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-18-2006, 08:34 PM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Re: why does the trans cooler lines go through the radiator?

You actually have 2 coolers.
The Oil to air, and the oil to water in the bottom of the radiator.
The oil to air was added I believe in late 99 or early 2000, but radiator one never left.
, Dynomax, Tuff Country leveling kit, (UKN1), Onboard Air!, 29" Hadley Air Horns!
rlarkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2006, 09:53 PM   #3 (permalink)

I do not understand why it would go through to radiator. Wouldn't the radiator be heating the transfluid? Is it supposed to heat it?

I barely see my trans temp guage move higher than 100-120. Of course, I have not towed anything very heavy under highway speeds, either.

DP F5 tuner (60tow,80econo,120race,140agres) sportcomp auto meter trans, boost-n-egt's, cyberdyne digital fuel pressure, coolant and fuel temps., napa tymar w/zoodad, wicked wheel, aih delete, evans lifetime 0 psi coolant, 203 t-stat, diesel site coolant filter, diesel site trans. filter, triple disk billet TC, rebuilt tranny with sonnax upgrades,Richter69 tuned valvebody, custom waste vegetable oil fuel system with FASS pump,(Vegistroke design) Made for cold weather w/50 gal. tank. 315/75/16 DickCepek MC's, 2" front spring lift, rino liner, Fisher Minuteman 8' plow, 3.5"dp to 4" w/dual 5" tips straight out the back w/ soot stains on the bumper, and real .357 bullet holes in the tail gate, not the silly stickers.
frashdog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2006, 10:08 PM   #4 (permalink)

the bottom of the radiator is very cool, some will say it is there to warm the fluid, but they are wrong. Be sure you flush the radiator cooler good before you fire it up with the new unit. A magnefine filter after the coolers is a good idea.

69 mustang, 472", c/4
9 sec alky injected bracket bomber....

529" in the works as we speak
Richter69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2006, 10:11 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via Yahoo to mlohaus Send a message via Skype™ to mlohaus

The Oil to Water coller was added in late 99 and it was done to help bring the Trans up to Temp faster as well as help the oil to air cooler by atempting to reduce the oil tem to about 200 deg before passing it thorugh the oil to air cooler. As we all know when you push the truck hard and get the fluid moving it does not work so well with the puny stock oil to air cooler. Fix the problem forever and just go to a 6.0 cooler. It will bolt right in and you don't have to worry about something extra breaking loose and leaking.
577 HP 951 Trk
mlohaus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2006, 10:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)

rlarkin has it backwards. PSDs build from January 1998 thru February 8, 2000, had only the oil-to-air (OTA) cooler in front of the radiator. Ford added the oil-to-water (OTW) cooler in the bottom of the radiator beginning with production on Feb 8, 2000.

[ QUOTE ]
I do not understand why it would go through to radiator. Wouldn't the radiator be heating the transfluid? Is it supposed to heat it?

[/ QUOTE ]

It depends. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

In cold weather, a little heat added to the ATF doesn't hurt a thing.

In hot weather, especially when towing, the temp of the coolant in the bottom of the radiator will be a lot cooler than the temp of the hot ATF coming out of the torque converter. So the heat exchanger (tranny cooler) in the bottom of the radiator sucks heat out of the ATF and transfers it to the coolant. Then the coolant goes back thru the engine and into the top of the radiator, where it gets cooled a bunch by the radiator before it can get back to the bottom of the radiator where the OTW tranny cooler is located.

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2006, 10:17 PM   #7 (permalink)

I believe both coolers are necessary. Let's say you're traveling off road in the boonies and you get really stuck. So you start to rock your truck back and forth, spinning the wheels harder and harder with each attempt to "Git-R-Done". This causes your transmission temps to climb higher and higher, and in this situation you have no airflow across the oil-to-air cooler. That's where the oil-to-water cooler can save your transmission, you still have transmission cooling in situations where the oil-to-air cooler isn't doing much for you.
2003 7.3 Excursion, Sylvania Silverstars, Fumoto Valve, Schaeffer 9000 oil, Ford AIS, Rancho RS9000X shocks - replaced with Bilsteins, Rancho steering stabilizer, Hellwig rear sway bar, Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor tires, Mobil 1 *Mercon* ATF in transmission/transfer case, CCV mod - returned back to stock, more to come!
walt501 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2006, 10:24 PM   #8 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
rlarkin has it backwards.

[/ QUOTE ]

YUP! Dats me!
, Dynomax, Tuff Country leveling kit, (UKN1), Onboard Air!, 29" Hadley Air Horns!
rlarkin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-18-2006, 10:35 PM   #9 (permalink)

On a stone cold motor the trans fluid will heat up way before the bottom of the radiator. This is why the converter does not lock right away on a cold truck.

69 mustang, 472", c/4
9 sec alky injected bracket bomber....

529" in the works as we speak
Richter69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-19-2006, 08:27 AM   #10 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you had a temp gauge connected to the bottom of your radiator and another one connected to the line from the trans to the radiator, you would find that the temp of the coolant in the bottom of the radiator is always cooler than the fluid coming from the transmission.
Old 05-19-2006, 11:21 AM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

[ QUOTE ]
I believe both coolers are necessary. Let's say you're traveling off road in the boonies and you get really stuck. So you start to rock your truck back and forth, spinning the wheels harder and harder with each attempt to "Git-R-Done". This causes your transmission temps to climb higher and higher, and in this situation you have no airflow across the oil-to-air cooler. That's where the oil-to-water cooler can save your transmission, you still have transmission cooling in situations where the oil-to-air cooler isn't doing much for you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Even in this situation the oil to water cooler will probably not disipate enough heat to keep your fluid from getting hot. In slow to non movement situations the best alternative is a fan operated cooler.
Also if you are like me and don't have the rad cooler, I believe the large surface area of the 6.0 cooler will disipate more heat than the small trip thru the oil to water cooler. I may be wrong, but hopefully I won't find out!!!
Most serious rock crawlers a 4x4 folks use a fan powered cooler for this exact reason.
SCT XCalibrator2 with DP's 60 tow,80 econo,120 Race
Fumoto Valve, Marinco Mod, Homemade CCV MOD,Fuel Neck Mod, KMC Wheels at all 4's
Monroe Reflex Shoxs, SS/Kevlar Brake Lines,
FTVB from Greg Evans,Ford AIS Intake
Coolant filter,Walker BTM, Attwood Gooseneck ball flush mount,6.0 cooler, 2002 headlights & corners
Zoodad Mod,Cyro'd Powerslots and Hawks LTS Pads. 2005 front grill
Turbo Lifesaver, Infinity Refrence x4, powered by Infinity Reference amp, sounds awesome!!
Towing a 2005 HORNET 30BHSS 8500 LBS,
Stopping it with a Prodigy P3 Controller

Friends Don't Let Friends Drive Trucks With Generic Tunes!!

White Stroker
NCHornet is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.