wicked wheel negative effects - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-Up Super Duty or Excursion with 7.3L Power Stroke diesel engine. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are specific to the 7.3L Power Stroke engine.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2009, 08:33 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
wicked wheel negative effects

was going to have Ford put in my wicked wheel while it was in for an oil change this week... but the mechanic flat out said no to the install claiming it would have negative affects on the engine. any idea what he was talking about?
2000 F250 red ext cab 7.3L PSD. 4x4 off road pkg. 6 speed manual. diy 6637 air intake w/ afe intake tube. 4" turbo back magnaflow straight pipe. 5" afe tip. DP Tuner F5 stock, 60t, 80e, 100p, 140a. 3 pos pillar pod autometer phantom pyro/boost gauges and DP control. extang trifecta tonneau. 34 in toyo open country m/t. bull bar with 2 6 in. KC daylighters.

Pray for our country.

1928 Ford Model A stake truck. 1931 Ford Model AA dually flat bed.
achowell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2009, 08:49 PM   #2 (permalink)

His claims are fruitless, wish you were closer! I've done about 8 ww installs and would be glad to help you out. PM me if you want step by step instructions and I'd be glad to give them.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (4)
The wicked wheel is supposed to be less effective than your current wheel. I was going to put one in until I researched it more. I tow and I wanted to eliminate surge, I found out that the ATS compressor housing is a better mod. Yes it costs more $430 but allows for a true 4" inlet. The mechanic is smoking crack! The early 99's had a factory wheel that is basically a wicked wheel.
2002 F-350 CCLB 4X4, HD4R100 , Riffraff FRx, Riffraff CAC Boots & PRI's, Bellowed Up-Pipes, 4" Diamond Eye exhaust, Powerslot rotors, ATS Ported Compressor Housing, DP Tuner-F6, Autoenginuity, EEC-V Breakout Box, KCM S.S. HPX Line, S&B Filters intake, Quad Autometer gauge pod, Inovations canopy, Banks Big Head wastegate actuator, 6.0L Trans Cooler, Spin-on Transmission filter with custom bracket, Zoo-dad, Dieselsite Coolant Filter, Cobra 29LTD/NW CB, DVD and always looking to do more....

Powerstroke Acronyms

TSB Information

Last edited by woodnthings8; 03-31-2009 at 09:28 PM.
woodnthings8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-31-2009, 09:36 PM   #4 (permalink)

And the '94-'97 too! same as the early '99 and all the wicked wheels. I talked to my local ford dealer when the '99.5 and later models came out, and he seemed to think that the "noise" produced by the dual staged vanes was the main reason for ford having garrett/honeywell make the change. There was guys putting '94-early '99 wheels on late models long before the "wicked wheel" was marketed. Who woulda thunk it!
Old 03-31-2009, 09:54 PM   #5 (permalink)

Yep, the people who complained about the noise probably didn't like black smoke out of the tailpipe either.
2002 F-350 CCLB 4X4, HD4R100 , Riffraff FRx, Riffraff CAC Boots & PRI's, Bellowed Up-Pipes, 4" Diamond Eye exhaust, Powerslot rotors, ATS Ported Compressor Housing, DP Tuner-F6, Autoenginuity, EEC-V Breakout Box, KCM S.S. HPX Line, S&B Filters intake, Quad Autometer gauge pod, Inovations canopy, Banks Big Head wastegate actuator, 6.0L Trans Cooler, Spin-on Transmission filter with custom bracket, Zoo-dad, Dieselsite Coolant Filter, Cobra 29LTD/NW CB, DVD and always looking to do more....

Powerstroke Acronyms

TSB Information
Old 04-01-2009, 11:16 AM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (3)
Feedback Score: 3 reviews
remember most dealership and independent shop mechanics are parts changers not high performance-fab techs that comprehend engine and suspension modifications.

We developed the Reverse Shackle SD spring swaps for D60 '85-04 and D60 '05 up axle swap with suspension for the OBS.
We developed the B mod, Bilstein special valving, suspension and handling cures for the Excursions.

We know what it takes to make a OBS or SD ride fantastic!

We only carry the BEST parts and never compromise just to get a sale.

Dealer for: Custom kit H2e and H2e modded turbos, Full Force Diesel Injectors! Icon, Pure Performance, Bilstein, RS-SD and 99 up suspension swaps kits for OBS and SD trucks, BTS Trans, Tunes by Tony Wildman , Tymar products, Hella lighting, True Projection Hid's, Isspro guage kits, If I can help you with your truck please PM or Email me.

Cary
email: ctperformanceinc@yahoo.com
Website: http://www.ctperformanceinc.com introduction only, we want personal contact to insure you get what you need.
caryt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2009, 02:00 PM   #7 (permalink)

All I have read about people installing a ww on this site states that they lose 2 or more pounds of boost but gain whistle. I would go for a real upgrade like a new housing with a four inch ported intake. ATS is pricey. ITP diesel sells another one for a little less money.
2001 f250: AFE stage 2, Banks Monster exhaust w/power elbow and bighead wastegate, autometer pillar guages, kcm crossover, ccv delete, ITP over boost annihilator, dp 6 pos stock, 40,60,80econ,100,120, BTS Tranny, FS2500 soot sucker bypass oil filtration.
xfordtdm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-01-2009, 04:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

The wicked wheel helps eliminate surge. That is the biggest reason for installing. If you don't tow much or have not ever "experienced" surge you probably don't need one. If looking for power and performance buy a ported housing. $400 is way cheaper than a failed turbo and damaged 7.3L. Plus most guys will spend way more money on a set of wheels that do nothing for performance!

Powerstroke Acronyms

TSB Information
Old 04-01-2009, 11:27 PM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (12)
I just did the WW install on two different trucks and it did eliminate surge and seemed to boost performance especially on the truck that had a 50hp tune, 6637 filter, and 4" exhaust.
97 F250 XLT CCSB 4x4, PSD, heavy duty E4od, fast spool 1.0 turbo, deleted ebpv, 203* t-stat, high pressure X line, 140v Idm, Diy 6637 filter, 60hp Superchip, Isspro Ev gauges, Intercooled, 3" downpipe 4" shorty exhaust, 4" lift, 4:10 gears, 35" tires, 310,000 miles
1dieselman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2009, 09:05 PM   #10 (permalink)

woodnthings... are you saying that the ww has the potential to fail and ruin the turbo?
2000 F250 red ext cab 7.3L PSD. 4x4 off road pkg. 6 speed manual. diy 6637 air intake w/ afe intake tube. 4" turbo back magnaflow straight pipe. 5" afe tip. DP Tuner F5 stock, 60t, 80e, 100p, 140a. 3 pos pillar pod autometer phantom pyro/boost gauges and DP control. extang trifecta tonneau. 34 in toyo open country m/t. bull bar with 2 6 in. KC daylighters.

Pray for our country.

Old 04-09-2009, 09:19 PM   #11 (permalink)

No, I am saying surge ruins turbos. The wicked wheel helps surge where the ported housings pretty much eliminate it for a slightly modified truck (tuner,intake,exhaust). The WW is often used as a cheaper band aid for surge. Most will say they lose boost when installing one. Usually 2-3 psi depending on the truck. I just think @ $400 give or take a ported compressor housing is better for the battle against surge. Obviously an upgraded turbo is better, something like a GTP38R or similar but most people have a tough time shelling out up to $2k on a new turbo. It was also stated that the OEM turbos previous to mid year 99 had the equivalent to the WW from the factory. They are all good turbos, just make a little more noise that the mid 99's to 03 versions.

I was looking at getting a WW for mine, until I found most people show a boost loss due to inefficency. The ported housings just make more since, and I plan on getting one soon.

Powerstroke Acronyms

TSB Information
Old 04-10-2009, 09:00 AM   #12 (permalink)

correct me if im wrong, but I understand that the ported shroud is only really needed by a small percentage of surge victims... those who experience surge while towing heavy loads through hilly country. i rarely tow, and if i do, its a max weight of about 7k over the flat ground here in indiana.

Pray for our country.

Old 04-10-2009, 09:38 AM   #13 (permalink)

The ported shroud has a 4" inlet where the stocker has a 3", That is primarily how they eliminate surge. More air coming in means less cavitation at the turbo blades under heavy loads (pulling lots of air, not necessarily towing loads). The WW has every other blade at a different height, in doing this the air has less of a chance getting disrupted when entering the turbo. This is where in inefficiency of the WW comes into play. That is why most guys see a 2-3 psi loss. The reason we all put intakes, exhaust, and tuners on our trucks is for better performance. If you put a BHAF in and still only have the stock turbo set-up you now have a restrictor in the flow. The compressor housing helps open the restriction and with the WW you still have the restriction you just have the wheel fins compensate to not move as much air.

The WW is a fine product and works to help surge. If you don't tow and you don't pull hills you probably don't need either the WW or the compressor housing.

Powerstroke Acronyms

TSB Information
Old 04-10-2009, 10:22 AM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by achowell View Post
was going to have Ford put in my wicked wheel while it was in for an oil change this week... but the mechanic flat out said no to the install claiming it would have negative affects on the engine. any idea what he was talking about?
There are two differences between the stock wheel and the splitter style you guys are calling a wicked wheel. The splitter style will hold more pressure at the same flow. The splitter style wheel makes more noise.
Old 04-11-2009, 02:04 PM   #15 (permalink)

I installed a x-wheel yesterday. Though I haven't hooked on to the trailer yet, I have noticed a difference in power between the 2-3 and 3-4 shifts. It used to have bad turbo stall between shifts that has been eliminated. I'm hoping it cures my surge when pulling my trailer as well. Time will tell I guess. It was a very easy intall as well, under an hour while still looking after my 5 & 1 1/2 year old kids.
holeshotkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > Upgrades and Aftermarket - 99 & up 7.3L Engine

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.