The Diesel Stop banner

'07 F350 CC Custom A/V Interior - (worklog)

25K views 74 replies 16 participants last post by  Phil G. 
#1 · (Edited)
First off, lots of large pics; hit the back button NOW if you are short on bandwidth!

I've been working on this for a while, it’s not quite done, but I thought I would share it anyway. This is a full function Car PC with full Music library, DVD, Sirius, Nav, BT phone & audio streaming, Internet, OBD, voice control, backup camera and more all handled by a laptop PC running W8.1 with a front end software for ease of use in a vehicle.

The laptop used was driven over and had the screen broken but all boards survived, internal DVD unit sort of works…when it wants to. Please don’t ask how or why I would drive over a 6 month old (at the time) laptop…

Here's the victim:

The system that came out: Alpine W205 w/blackbird GPS, Parrot BT kit, some infinity speakers in front & back doors & a couple of Infinity amps & overhead screen:

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Framing & Fiberglass

I built a sub box & loaded it with a with 12" RD Sonance DVC sub:

Something to stretch cloth over:

The sub box slides into frame with almost zero clearance:

Rear seat framed up:

Stretched:

Wetted out:

Layed up & test fit:

#3 · (Edited)
Fitting Components into FG Shell

Home for the storage bucket:

Carnage from retrieving the bucket:

Storage bucket cut from original middle seat:

Components to be cut into console:

Layed out:

Cut in and test fitted:

#4 · (Edited)
A change of equipment & planned installation locations

Original plan was to hang the amps on sub box and mount Power distribution & Inverter under the seat:

This plan was abandoned once the decision was made to physically downsize one of the amps & replace the second with a similar to original.
Replacement amps:

Speakers were replaced with a couple sets of JL's going here:

Mounted on these:

Tweeters later got switched out with a pair of Alpine...the JL's could rip your eardrums out from 50'....

I reworked the under seat area to hold amps and processor plus fab'd up a mount for the rear wall to hold power distribution & Inverter:

Now that everything has a home, time to start the finishing....

#5 · (Edited)
Sanding &…..

sanding....filling....sanding....filling...sand... OK you get the idea:

Layed up a bucket to hold some switches:

#6 · (Edited)
Sub Box Mod

Before Priming I decided I had to do something with the side of the box that was originally slated to have amps on it....so...

Played around with some LED's

#8 · (Edited)
Added Some Color

I Did a base/clear coat in Medium Wedgewood blue to match the truck:

Rear Wall Power Distribution & Inverter Mount:

Under Seat Components:

Sub Window Panels:

Rear Rack:

Main Console:

#9 · (Edited)
Prepared the Truck for Installation

Somewhere around 125' of Be-quiet:

Rough-in the wiring:

Deadened doors and made up plugs for the large openings:

Aero Tape around the openings:

Friction fit plugs and taped in. Removable for service:

Speaker Mounts:

Speakers and plugs installed:

Original weather shield pulled back over doors:

#10 · (Edited)
Looking Buff…

The paint now needed to be buffed, I used this:

After buffing & a couple coats of Zaino's polish:

#11 · (Edited)
Misc Parts Installed

Did this earlier in the project but here is the install of the 8" widescreen touch screen:

Pointed the OBD port forward so the adapter used to feed the computer could stay plugged in and not in the way:

Replaced the AM/FM antenna with a wifi antenna:

Added LED's under doors as courtesy lights:

Installed two Mics:

Added a Backup Camera:

Fabricated some mounts for the Sirius Radio & adapter, BT module, Sound Card, PC Power Supply & USB Hubs:

#12 · (Edited)
Last of the sub-assembly before installing console

The Power board, fuse block and DVD unit were mounted under the storage bucket:

The laptop and balance of the peripherals were mounted in the main body of the console:

The CB was skinned and slid right in after everything else was in place:

Rear wall was wired up & Inverter Installed:

#13 · (Edited)
Time to put it together

Kicker sub control was mounted under the steering column and last wiring between dash & console completed before marrying the console up with the dash:

Amps were mounted to the cover panel and wired on the bench:

Then installed – the panel flips up like an engine hood for service:

I like the mechanical mounting aspect of the door speakers and concept of the color matched trim rings but the fit of the trim rings is not good, I will be doing something with the door panels this summer. I still have the door pockets to re-install as well.

#14 · (Edited)
Results

#15 ·
Nice work!

#16 ·
That's well done Phil, and well thought out, looks like you are handy with the Glass and painting side of things, How long did the fit up take ?
I take it you haven't got hearing aids yet:lol::lol::lol: Yeah real nice thanks for sharing.

#17 ·
@96 Cobra - thanks for the props

@Googs - It has been an ongoing project for quite a while,I installed just the PC under the middle front seat for a while to test. I then built the console and installed it and drove the truck for 1-2 years like that then just last summer removed it and finished it.

Next plan is to have the H701 processor tuned (it's beyond my capability).

I also will be replacing the monitor in the dash with a 10.4" transflective screen which will require modifying the dash, maybe relocating the HVAC controls, but I'm just not sure where to put them if they have to go.

I need to have some interior upholstery work done as well.

Regarding hearing aids, yes it is harder to keep the volume down but I'm doing my best. Besides why would I need hearing aids to hear this system? I can just feel it...

#18 ·
Gooday Phil, just can't wait to see the finished product, hope you keep us posted on this project. Just kidding about the Hearing Aids I know with systems like yours you don't have to have them loud to get the full benefit of great sound.
Great work, keep making us envious, waiting for the next chapter.

#20 ·
OMGosh Phil.. that is one serious undertaking. Gotta love it. I'd be too frightened to cut into GreatWhite to even consider something like that. WAY too much preplanning for me. :thumbsup:

#21 ·
alverez_8: thank you very much.

GreatWhite: it was a sickness I developed over the years, no support groups for it that I could find so it just kept progressing. I think I have it in remission for the time being though...

#23 ·
Sorry dieselnick, I missed checking this thread somehow. Thank you very much for the comments. The system sounds great in the driveway while it waits for an engine :(

But I will enjoy it once the truck is back up and running so it's all good...

The larger 10.1" multitouch screen was in the works for this spring but I guess it has to run first

Cheers

#25 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.