12V fuel transfer pump - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General

1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-2007 Super Duty. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are not engine-specific.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-17-2013, 09:14 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
12V fuel transfer pump

We just bought an '04 F550 we're turning into a farm service truck. I've done a few upgrades and some maintenace already like blue fuel spring, egr delete, bypass oil filter, coolant filter, gauges, alternator gone through, new batteries, etc. If we're going to run a 12v fuel pump off the battery, do you think I should come up with a way to turn the idle speed up or just get a bigger alternator? I don't know what kind of pump we're going to get yet but I've seen pumps listed from a 20 amp draw to a 35 amp draw depending on how fast you want to pump or how much you want to spend.
'94 F250xlt ext. cab. ZF5-speed 4x4. EBPV delete. DPP downpipe. Tymar intake. Tymar coolant filter. Type 31 batteries. LF9691 primary filter. Electric fans. 10k mod. 1.0 turbo housing. Boost blanket. Over-axle exhaust eliminated. Electric fuel pressure gauge. Heim joint clutch linkage. Adrenaline HPOP. BDP modded IDM. LUK SMFW. DIY Elec Fuel. FS1282, FF5320 fuel filters. SD starter. Dieselsite T-stat. DP 80hp tuned PCM.
'04 F550XL reg. cab. ZF-6 speed. EGR delete. Coolant filter. Cat EC-1 coolant. LF777 bypass oil filter. Blue-spring fuel pressure regulator. ScanGauge II. Glowshift fuel pressure gauge.
sdan27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-18-2013, 10:07 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (6)
What if the intended use of the pump??

Some stock stuff, some modded stuff, some deleted stuff.....
HeavyAssault is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #3 (permalink)

You should be able to do the high idle mod that idles the truck up for PTO use. I did it on my F250 back in 06 when I got it. I don't know if the F550 was any different. It is just a matter of connecting a couple of wires to a switch. I used one of my upfitter switches. Unfortunately it was so long ago i cannot remember which wires are which, but the truck should already be wired for it.

A bigger alternator is a got change even without the pump. I have a 200 amp Quickstart large frame alternator. The older style large frame alternators will bolt on without any changes to the truck.

Ford Remote Start; High idle mod; Timbren load levelers, Scangauge II, Blue Spring upgrade, Quick Start 200 amp large frame alternator replacement, 2 batteries January 2010; GPCM replace October 2011; 2 EGR valves; EGR Cooler replaced 12/30/11; Performance Machine & Mfg. coolant filter added 1/2/12; Rotella T6 5W40 oil; turned rotors and replaced brake pads for 1st time 1/7/12 101K miles; GPCM, both subharnesses and all 8 glowplugs replaced 1/5/13 at 118,000 miles; 2 Ford batteries replaced under battery warranty; FICM power supply board replaced with Dorman board 11/20/13.
Ford06 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2013, 09:27 AM   #4 (permalink)

Smile

are you going to add lights? any other things that might need juice?
would prove a good thing to get a better out put from the alt. and add in a couple deep cycle batteries
going to install a gas/diesel powered welder?

but how fast/much do you need to transfer?
lots of gallons 100's a day?
or just 50 or so every so often?
would a hand crank pump work?
less to worry about.
but at age 54 a powered pump sounds good. even for the odd 20 gallons.
been thinking about adding a extra tank to my truck and would need a low psi higher volume pump to transfer the fuel. ( speed for volume only, no back pressure to worry about).
but for me even a battery drill motor pump would work.
for now just a stocker set up for pulling a fifth wheel, and moto transport.
N 38*09*900
W 120*49*900
packnrat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-11-2013, 11:31 AM   #5 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)
I've had a transfer pump in my truck for years. On one job in Louisiana, I was doing about 500 gallons a day. Never needed high idle or a bigger alternator.

One suggestion I do have is to run the power wires into the cab and put them on a separate (hidden) switch. I've had a lot of locks cut and fuel stolen and when I added the separate switch, I kept losing locks but I quit losing fuel.

Gone but not forgotten...
2002 F-350 SRW
Lariat, Crew Cab, Long Bed
4X4, Auto Trans, Tymar Intake
Wicked Wheel, Zoodad Mod
DP Tuner - 60E, 80E, 40T, 80T, Decel
05+ Harley Headlights
6" Upper and Lower Windshield Brows
ISSPRO Gauges, Edge Insight CTS

Sold at 206,000 miles
lone_star_dsl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.