The Diesel Stop banner

7.3L F350 Exhaust, Tuner & Air intake

6K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  MP95 
#1 ·
Hey guys, this is my first post here, and I'm fairly new to this truck, so I'd love if I could get some noob friendly information.

Basically I want input on what my best options are for an upgraded exhaust and air intake, as well as recommendations for a tuner chip. Ideally I'd love to add around 75+ HP to my truck and help keep my EGT low for towing, while also adding some extra pickup for daily driving. And if possible, I'd like to find an exhaust system that's more on the quiet side. My truck is a 2000 F350. My price range is around 1,300-1,800$ for all 3 upgrades. Currently everything on this vehicle is stock, except for an upgraded trans cooler.

I'm looking forward to your answers, and thanks in advance everyone!

#2 ·
6637, Hydra, diamond eye 4 inch exhaust with the Walker BTM. (big truck muffler)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

#3 ·
ford ais, DP, and 4in BTM. Get some gauges if you are going to put a tuner in. See my sig line for what I have done to make it a towing truck. You will probably spend about $1000 more than what you have but you can do a few mods at a time while you save up. Do intake and exhaust first, then gauges, tranny cooler, and then do the tuner last.

#4 ·
Welcome. That's a good list

6637 riffraff Intake $80 or s&b kit (which is smog legal) 260$

4 inch exhaust $230-280 depending on muffler or straight pipe.

Ts chip with 6 php tunes 250$ Or dp tuner with 3 tunes for 400$

Billet compressor wheel 160-220$ ww2, riffraff wheel, Kc billet wheel, BD billet wheel take your pick. This will help with turbo surge and also lower egts.

Autometer or isspro gauges 350-450.

If you want to buy all of this as a package contact corey@cncfab. He can give you a package price

#5 ·
Hey guys, thanks for all the advice! My brother actually just gave me a diablosport predator that he had knocking around, so I guess that hunt is over. But I'm curious if you guys have any experience with them? And would there be any potential issues involved with putting it on my 150,000 mile truck? I've heard rumors that using some tuners can potentially reduce engine life.

And thank you very much for the BTM suggestion; it's now on the shopping list.

And final questions, I checked out a billet wheel that claimed it could add 5-7 lbs of boost and increase horsepower by 20, have you guys had similar gains with yours? And given the mileage of my truck, could there also be some potential benefit from having my turbo rebuilt?

Thank you again for the information everyone!

#6 ·
Never hurts to have a turbo rebuilt. Or just buy a drop in turbo.

Now don't freak out, but I'd throw that Diablo in the trash. Well, maybe on ebay.
Especially if your truck is a auto.

#7 · (Edited)
Ya Diablo tunes Were hell on auto transmissions. And having high egts from crappy tuning will cause engine damage.

I'd say I picked up close to that with my billet wheel.
Check for shaft play on the turbo and go from there. In and out is bad, you can have a little side to side play.

Sell the Diablo tuner on Craigslist or eBay for 100-150 bucks and buy something better.

I apologize I gave the wrong price on the DP-tuner. For the f5 chip it is 450 for 4 tunes and the switch.

Reactions: yan7gin
#8 ·
Huh, well that's a disappointment about the diablo, but I'm glad I knew before I used it. Off to DP! I actually just installed the heavy duty ais intake (my brother had one of those lying around too, lol) and it's great! I may be imagining it, but it already seems to be helping with my throttle response, so that's good.

Also, what do you guys think of potentially cutting off the exhaust before the rear tires? I was looking at some 4'' exhaust systems, and it seems like it would be very easy to take that U bend that rises over the rear axle, cut it off, take half of it and weld it on about 6'' to 1' in front of the rear tire, so as to direct the exhaust out parallel to the rear axle. I couldn't find any systems online that were designed this way, but it seems fairly simple, and it would shorten the exhaust system by a couple feet which I can only imagine would be beneficial. My cursory research didn't seem to yield any cons to this method, but as I said before I'm new to this so I may be overlooking something. The only objection I could think of would be that it could potentially heat up the rear tires, but it seems like it would be simple enough to extend it out far enough that that wouldn't be an issue. Any thoughts on that idea?

#9 ·
Lots of people does it. It comes down to what look do you like. The heavy duty intake is a good choice also as the DP tune. Don't forget the gauges, really important on tunes truck

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#10 ·
Kits such as diamond eye are pretty versatile.
Normally the over the axle piece is just a short piece. So you wouldn't really have to cut anything off.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.