Adding Marker Light To Towing Mirrors - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General

1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-2007 Super Duty. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are not engine-specific.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-12-2007, 10:28 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (24)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Adding Marker Light To Towing Mirrors

I have a friend who wants to add a marker light to his side mirrors. I have tried to convince him to just buy the Ford ones that are heated and molded with light. But his does not want to spend that much.

I remember someone on here that had added a light to his mirrors, before Ford started doing it. I have looked in the pictures, articles and everywhere that I can think of that had this picture and article. I can't find it.

Anyone know the one I am talking about, and where I can find the article?

Thanks in advance.
Home Made Tymar, AIH Plug, ZooDad Mod, Walker BTM, Custom Bright Box, AC Mod, Adjustable 10k Mod, ISSPRO Gauges, New Cup Holder(Not Cup Thrower), CCV Mod, Custom Grill Inserts, Clear Corners, C-BETR mirrors, Amsoil Bypass, Rhino Liner, 285 BFGs AT KOs, Monroe Gas-Magnums, "Custom" Towing Tailgate, Purple Underbody Neon (for the camp grounds)

I think there is more, but I can't remember...
dboyw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2007, 11:00 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (17)
Re: Adding Marker Light To Towing Mirrors

Look at this album by ryaneverk2
2002 F350 Lariat CC 4x4 Auto 4.10 DRW, DP-Tuner F5 live tuned stock, quiet, 40dd, 40, 60, 80 tow, 80e and 120r, B&W GN, BrakeSmart, 'pooned tank, tank and pre-pump mods, 2 Dahl 100 filter, regulated return, BTS dual HPOP, AC singles with EDM 34 lpm nozzles, AIS, H2e, Spearco 6.0 IC, Hypermax 3.5" dp--> MBRP 4" 304SS exhaust, BTS tranny, 203 T-stat, Chevron ELC, coolant filter, Oilguard bypass with Schaeffer 9000, WranglerNW 200 amp alternator & Optima group 31 batteries, Nippon-Denso starter, SPA gauges, SteveRacer mods, Hella 80/100W 9007s, Hella Micro DE foglights, 1000FF driving lights, 220W backup lights, Stancor contactor, Michelin XPS Traction tires, X-Springs, Bilstein shox, custom bumpers but otherwise stock. Nov 30 '99 build engine with 16 K miles, Fluidampr, Comp Cam 910 springs, Melling LPOP and ARP headstuds.
haul_n_horses2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2007, 12:01 PM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (28)

Dan,

I helped Ryan do his,which are in the link haul_n_horses2 provided above. Click here to see a pic of mine, though I don't have any of them at night [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]. I had found them at Autozone, as well as in the JC Whitney catalog. I've been very happy with them. If you're interested, let me know. I have the part numbers for them at home (I'm at work now [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]).

Dan

2000 F-350 Lariat 4x4 Crewcab longbed dually PSD 6 speed with: DP Tuner F5 16-pos. chip; Ford AIS air intake with fender sleeve & Zoodad mod; ITP boost regulator; fumoto valve; DPPI MBRP 4" turbo-back "cool duals" exhaust and 5x18 ITP stainless tips; Triple gauge A-pillar with Isspro EV gauges; "wicked wheel"; AIH delete plug with code eliminator and boost hookup; intercooler foil wrap removed; LED taillight mod, clear headlights, corner lights, cab lights, & dually fender lights; front-mounted 2" receiver, Putco Bossboards; Pace Edwards rolltop tonneau; acetoned badges; rear vision camera & reverse sensors; KC backup lights; C-Betr mirrors; cab lights & fender lights wired as turn signals; LED ID bar; Jordan 2020 Ultima trailer brake; harpoon mod; and more
D_Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2007, 04:46 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)

I have looked all over JC's web site and I cant find my of the light you guys have installed on your mirrors.

Help please
Old 01-12-2007, 06:29 PM   #5 (permalink)
RDG
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (16)

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Searc...;searchbtn.y=18
NRA Member
Retired UAW 383
RDG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-12-2007, 06:31 PM   #6 (permalink)

thanks
Old 01-12-2007, 08:53 PM   #7 (permalink)

My Photos: (28)

Cowboy99, RDG beat me to it with the JC Whitney part #. Thanks [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]. The same lights are available at Autozone, which is where I purchased mine. They are: "Pilot Stick-on LED side mirror signal lights". The part number is CZ-128A. They are in the mirror section, both spot mirrors and replacement mirrors. If you need any more info., let me know.

Dan

2000 F-350 Lariat 4x4 Crewcab longbed dually PSD 6 speed with: DP Tuner F5 16-pos. chip; Ford AIS air intake with fender sleeve & Zoodad mod; ITP boost regulator; fumoto valve; DPPI MBRP 4" turbo-back "cool duals" exhaust and 5x18 ITP stainless tips; Triple gauge A-pillar with Isspro EV gauges; "wicked wheel"; AIH delete plug with code eliminator and boost hookup; intercooler foil wrap removed; LED taillight mod, clear headlights, corner lights, cab lights, & dually fender lights; front-mounted 2" receiver, Putco Bossboards; Pace Edwards rolltop tonneau; acetoned badges; rear vision camera & reverse sensors; KC backup lights; C-Betr mirrors; cab lights & fender lights wired as turn signals; LED ID bar; Jordan 2020 Ultima trailer brake; harpoon mod; and more
D_Dunn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2007, 09:02 AM   #8 (permalink)

Here is the link to the lights at AutoZone. The are cheaper there than thru JC Whitney too.
http://www.autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker...7EPIL%7C%7Etrue

06 Grill, 6637 mod, Zoodad, Trans Temp. and Pyrometer Gauges, High Idle mod, Dfuser 18k, Fog Light mod, LED mirror light mod, Foil Delete, Walker BTM w/4" stainless tip, LED's under tailgate, Tinted Windows, Cab Lights, SS HPX

Coming Soon - Leveling kit, DP Tuner

My Truck Pics
JPLTrucking is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2007, 09:46 PM   #9 (permalink)

i think im gonna do this mod now to. I have wanted the lights on the mirrors for awhile now, but the price of them as made me hesitate. But for that price its worth it.

2000 F250 Maroon lariat ext cab, short bed. 2.5" leveling kit, Ranchhand front replacement, custom Headache rack, 285 Revos, Rancho Steering Stabilizer, Tymar, 4" turbo back exhaust (no muffler), Wicked wheel, quad pod with Dipricol optix (boost, pyro, trans, fuel pres), Steering column pod with optix HPOP guage, DI 6 position chip (40, 60, 80, 100, 140, high idle), Fumoto, dieselsite BRV, custom made turn over goose neck hitch, clear corners, silverstars, Cobra 29 CB, CCV, Blue IC Boots, TC lock up switch, LED side marker lights, cab lights with smoked lenses.

Let freedom ring and the turbos sing.

People that have treated me right:
DI, Diesel Power Products, SP Diesel, Dieselsite, ITP

302 HP/720 TQ (In the 80 setting)
If it dont smoke black, take it back

picts
Blackcloud2k is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2007, 04:44 AM   #10 (permalink)

It's definitely a cool upgrade. Dan Dunn is the man on these. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smokin.gif[/img]

Here's a couple pics from a bit farther back to give an overall view of the lights on the truck:
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2101...86590301aZOEhm
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2444...86590301nvtqpQ

The cool part is, they're visible from directly behind the truck, as well (the Ford lights aren't, really):
http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2480...86590301CkFCZa

I like them because they're much larger and more visible than the lights on the newer Ford mirrors. I'm also... mmmm... a bit frugal, especially when my stock mirrors are in perfect shape, and didn't want to replace the whole mirrors just to get the lights. A lot of work to install, but much cheaper this way. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] Looking at them up close in the day light, they're certainly not as clean looking as the built-in lights on the newer mirrors (obviously [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]), but they're all right in my view. And one thing that concerned me before I installed them was how well they'd stick, but Dan assured me they'd stick well... and they do! Get them lined up properly on the first try, cause they stick and stick hard. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

2000 F350 7.3 CC LB DRW 4x4 4R100 4.10 Lariat
Performance Mods: ISSPRO gauges, DIY Tymar, straight piped, ITP boost regulator and tee, ATS ported housing, Banks Big Head, CCV Mod, DP-Tuner flip chip, BTS valve body ||| LEDs everywhere: taillights/running boards/mirrors/rear, side lights wired as turn signals, upgraded headlight harness w/ Xtravisions, aux backup lights in bumper ||| Misc. Mods: no more dingers, newer cupholder, fumoto, C-Betrs, locking fuel cap, mud flaps, wannabe air horn, Line-X, behind-seat storage shelf, intercooler foil wrap removed, SS HPX
My Truck Pics

NorCal Powerstrokes
ryaneverk2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2007, 04:52 PM   #11 (permalink)

How about wiring them? Is there a write up on how to wire them into a 99-02 truck?
muligan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-26-2007, 05:10 PM   #12 (permalink)

You'd just wire them into the parking light circuit. It's the brown wire that can be found at various spots on the truck.

Performance Mods: ISSPRO gauges, DIY Tymar, straight piped, ITP boost regulator and tee, ATS ported housing, Banks Big Head, CCV Mod, DP-Tuner flip chip, BTS valve body ||| LEDs everywhere: taillights/running boards/mirrors/rear, side lights wired as turn signals, upgraded headlight harness w/ Xtravisions, aux backup lights in bumper ||| Misc. Mods: no more dingers, newer cupholder, fumoto, C-Betrs, locking fuel cap, mud flaps, wannabe air horn, Line-X, behind-seat storage shelf, intercooler foil wrap removed, SS HPX
My Truck Pics

NorCal Powerstrokes
Old 01-26-2007, 10:37 PM   #13 (permalink)

My Photos: (4)

just went out and bought me some for 19.98 at auto zone, going to put them on tommorow
Old 01-27-2007, 04:27 PM   #14 (permalink)

where did you run and hide the wiring for them? i'm thinking of doing the same thing,looks pretty cool to me. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]
Old 01-27-2007, 05:50 PM   #15 (permalink)

The wire that comes out of the light comes out on the backside, toward one end. Just drill a tiny hole on the outside of the mirror where the light will be mounted, so that the wire goes into the mirror housing. The wire will be completely underneath the light, going through the hole into the mirror.

Then you've just gotta find a way to route the wire through the housing, through one of the arms, and then down the door to the boot that goes from the door into the cab. A metal coat hanger works well for fishing the wiring if you straighten it and tape the wire to the end.

Here's a cool link that has lots of pics and details on the mirrors... should help with getting the wiring run and such:
http://www.kwmuth.com/techsupport/pdfs/21000220.pdf

Wish I had known about that pdf when I was doing my lights, and I'm sure Dan does, too. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

My Truck Pics

NorCal Powerstrokes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.