The Diesel Stop banner

Aftermarket LED headlights

6K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  ArcticDriver 
#1 ·
I'm looking to get some new headlights for my 01 7.3. The stock halogen lams are dull and don't project very well anymore. I would like to get some LED lights. What is a good option for brightness, reliability and fitment (housing AND lights)? Thanks for your thoughts.

#2 ·
About two years ago I did a change over of the van, dropping the stock lights for the LED from Truck LITE, kind of spendy about 200.00 each but they have been the best lights in my view that I have had in the 2000 E350 Superduty van over the years.
I did have to change out the stock assembly and replace them with the bowls and springs that one would find with the old 6054 lights or the 5x7 lights...
But if yours is the 2001 then chances are good that you could do the change. The male plug end for your lights will have to be changed as the 9007 is different from the 6054 style.

#3 · (Edited)
#7 ·
If you still have the 99-01 fluted style lenses, the '02-04 clear lens headlights are head and shoulders above them and there's no messing with anything else, they are direct replacements.

I have a 99 and want to do the upgrade to the 02 lens. I checked RockAuto but the picture makes it look like its a fluted lens. I emailed them and the reply was all the info that they have is on web site. Has anyone order the lenses from RockAuto? Is it a clear lens?
Thanks

#4 ·
I bought new clear lenses for 45 bucks on eBay.

Led bulbs in stock housing do not pattern well.
Low beams are ok but high beams are worthless.

#5 ·
I just did the headlights relay mod and upgraded bulb. Nice and bright for me

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#10 ·
Only comparison photo I have.

Attachments

#12 ·
When I do a search for 2C3Z13008AACP at autonation, they're saying that the part is discontinued.

Am I doing something wrong or does anyone know where the geniune OEM headlamps in the 02+clear lense can be had?

#13 ·
Just leave the CP off the end and it will come up. I don't know what the CP was for, but it was the same thing only significantly cheaper. They were a touch over $200 a pair, but now closer to $300. :frown2:

#14 ·
I ordered some replacement 02 headlight assemblies from rockauto, got them in ok. I sent the truck off to the shop to get them adjusted, just got a call. They are having problems with the adjusters, there is some slop in the upper adjuster. So the headlight can more back and forth a little. Is there some trick to removing the slop in the adjuster?

#16 ·
I too found the upper adjuster has some slop in it. These are the TYC assemblies from Rock Auto. A solution is to reuse your OEM adjuster. A 90 degree twist and the OEM comes out of the original housing. The TYC headlamps have about 1/8" of slop in the adjuster. It seems on the TYC the plastic where the metal adjuster screw threads into is not very tight. It seems like bad quality control. Should be a simple fix for them to make this better. Kind of annoying.

#15 ·
Best $55 ever spent

I bought these awhile back, and after suffering with the stock dull headlights of my 02 Super Duty PSD, it was the best $55 I have ever spent on my truck. The difference was literally night and day

I was not able to post my link to this post, but the replacement LED bulb replacement was the way to go. Took about 20 minutes to install works perfectly

#17 ·
I just installed 2 complete TYC headlight sets this past summer into some 2002’s and I don’t recall this issue.

Are these recent purchases that are having problems? Was it both L & R ?

Good solution to grab parts off your OEM assemblies, makes me wish I had done the same since the OEM threading was superior to the TYC plastic.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.