Anyone install a front receiver hitch? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-2007 Super Duty. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are not engine-specific.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 01:17 AM Thread Starter
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (180)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Anyone install a front receiver hitch?

I'm thinking about installing a front receiver on my truck for boat launching purposes.

My '99 has no blocker beam behind the front bumper like the later '02+? trucks. I don't know if the blocker beam would be sturdy enough to support a receiver hitch, but can't really see a better way. From what I understand the blocker beam fastens to the front spring brackets, but don't have access to a diagram of how that works, but there doesn't seem to be an easy spot to bolt brackets for a receiver to the frame otherwise. I could probably replace my front spring brackets with some from a later model truck from a wrecking yard, but would like to see if that's even possible.

If anyone has put a front receiver on their truck, I'd like to see some pics of how it was done.

Thanks

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
), AIS,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
regulated return,

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 08:04 AM

My Photos: (0)
KL, the 99 SD's didn't have the blocker beam. The Curt hitch is mounted between the tow hooks. this what I looked at for my 99 F250SD, 4x4, and no blocker beam https://assets.curtmfg.com/masterlib...31114_INS.PDF# 500 lb tongue weight and lose the fog lights. I did mount one under my dually years ago, don't have pics. hope this helps..
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 01:49 PM

front hitch

Try e-trailers (etrailers.com):

https://www.etrailer.com/fmr-1999_Fo...Super+Duty.htm

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 03:17 PM Thread Starter

Thanks guys. I would rather not lose the fog lights, although it may come to that.

I see that one style sandwiches between the bumper mount plate and the frame end, which is a single plane support, with not much resistance to twisting, while the rear trailer hitch mounts on the bottom of the frame with quite a bit of distance between fore and aft bolts to resist twisting. The one that mounts in place of the blocker beam doesn't have as high a tongue weight rating. I don't know the tongue weight of the boat & trailer I'm looking at, but will check that out.

I've got a take-off receiver from a Tahoe that I was thinking of adapting, but mounting brackets is the issue. I'd like to locate it below the bumper, and saw that the blocker beam takes different front spring mounts.

First truck -- 1929 Model A Ford pickup, restored from ground up. Wish I still had it!
'99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version
), AIS,
regulated return,

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-29-2017, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by klhansen View Post
The one that mounts in place of the blocker beam doesn't have as high a tongue weight rating. I don't know the tongue weight of the boat & trailer I'm looking at, but will check that out.
I wouldn't expect it to exceed 600 pounds. If it does, I'd like to see what this "boat" looks like.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 12:40 PM

KL, both of the hitchs has a 500lb tongue weight, 5000lb max trailer weight, and a 9000lb line pull. The one that mounts in the bumper is attached with the 8 bumper mounting bolts. You have to drill 4, 5/8' holes in the frame. iI couldn't find any of the brackets for the 99 SD or 02 SD for the blocker beam. send Mike at Autonation WBL a message and see if he can find the brackets that bolt to the side of the hangers so you can put a blocker beam on. This beam also helps make the center of the hitch more stable. Hope this helps give you an idea of what you are in for.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 04-30-2017, 11:45 PM Thread Starter

The second one in meyor56's etrailer link (the one that mounts in place of the blocker beam said only 350 lb vertical tongue weight. I suppose for boat launching that would be OK. Getting hold of Mike at Autonation WBL is a good idea. Maybe he's got a better picture that I saw at Fordparts.com. It didn't actually show the blocker beam or how it mounts, but said the front spring hangers were different between trucks with blocker beams and without.

Maybe someone with an 02 with blocker beam could post a picture for me. I imaging that I could track those down at a wrecking yard if they will swap over.

), AIS,
regulated return,

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 11:25 AM

My Photos: (8)
Kevin
I have the one that mounts between the bumper and frame. Very easy to put in. I also have one or two spare rear hitch laying around if we need to cut one up.
DENNY

1999 F350 AUTO 4x4 CC LB DRW 4.10
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-01-2017, 04:41 PM Thread Starter

Thanks Denny

I have one off a Tahoe that's a candidate for mods to adapt it to the front. Just need some way to bolt things to the frame so I don't have to lose my fog lights. Do you need another scan or has your surge issue resolved itself? I could drop by some evening.

I did manage to find a diagram from Curt on the one that mounts below the blocker beam. https://assets.curtmfg.com/masterlib..._31014_INS.PDF
It shows the front spring hanger brackets that the blocker beam bolts to and an add-on reinforcement for that. It also shows a 500 lb tongue weight, where the e-trailer link only indicated 350 lb tongue weight for that style.

Good idea about getting with Mike at Autonation WBL about the spring hangers, although I should be able to find a set at the wrecking yard, plus the blocker beam. Will see what I can come up with.

), AIS,
regulated return,

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-02-2017, 03:07 AM

My Photos: (8)
Kevin
I still have the surge issue, I replaced speed sensor in rear axle and pulled 5th wheel. Putting in seat heater today. Give me a call when you get a chance, can we weld mounts for the fog lights on the hitch? You might need so new LED stuff!!
DENNY

1999 F350 AUTO 4x4 CC LB DRW 4.10
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-13-2017, 09:53 AM

klhansen,
I would not recommend a front mount for this purpose. I had one I used to maneuver my boat trailer around the yard and it was great. I removed it because it partially blocked airflow threw the radiator.
I plan on getting the flat plate style that bolts up into the frame and comes out under the bumper.
I have seen way too may launching accidents with guys losing their trucks into the water. No way I would do it facing into the water. Your rear axles will have no weight on it and if the front tires slip, you are taking a bath. No thanks.
Maybe better reverse cameras to help seeing better?

02 F250 CC 4x4 7.3 Lariat, 3.73 rears, DPTuner F5, WW2, IH UPs, Airdog+Frx, HPOilX, BanksMonster Exhaust, Centramatics, Gearvendor, Custom rear springs, [BTS!], 120k
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-14-2017, 09:54 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackout2 View Post
klhansen,
I not would recommend a front mount for this purpose. I had one I used to maneuver my boat trailer around the yard and it was great. I removed it because it partially blocked airflow threw the radiator.
I plan on getting the flat plate style that bolts up into the frame and comes out under the bumper.
I'm not worried about blocking airflow. We rarely get above 75F up here. But the under bumper rig is what I'd prefer. Denny came by with his truck with the front hitch socket poking thru between the tow hooks. The downside of that is the fog lights would have to go, and the license plate location changed.
Quote:
I have seen way too may launching accidents with guys losing their trucks into the water. No way I would do it facing into the water. Your rear axles will have no weight on it and if the front tires slip, you are taking a bath. No thanks.
Not too worried there either, as I nearly always tow the boat with a pickup camper in the bed, so rear wheels are weighted nicely, LOL. Typically use 4LO on the ramp as well. We don't have moss-covered ramps up here either.
Quote:
Maybe better reverse cameras to help seeing better?
I do have a portable backup camera, so may have to try using that in more creative ways. Denny did say I should just man up and use the rear hitch.

), AIS,
regulated return,

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 05-15-2017, 10:29 AM

Easy button may be to go with a ranch hand type replacement bumper. https://www.ranchhand.com/front-bumper-fbf991blr.html

Everyone i talk to loves theirs. maintains fog lights, tow hooks, good airflow and you get your 2" receiver. Also you dont have to worry about bambi running out in front of you anymore.

1997 F250 Heavy Duty 7.3 Powerstroke 4x4 Crew Cab, SRW, Automatic E40D
BTS Valve Body
Tru-Cool Trans Cooler
4" Turbo Back Diamond Eye Stainless Exhaust
Tymar Air Intake
TS Six Position Chip (stock,High Idle, +50, +75, +100, +120)
Tymar HPX line in hand but no installed yet
285/75r16 BFG All-Terrain KO2
ARE LSII Custom Color Tonneau bed cover
Color match Rhino spray in bed liner
------------------------------------------
Better To Be Tried By 12 Than Carried By 6
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.