Auxiliary backup lights - trailer tow wiring how-to - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General

1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-2007 Super Duty. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are not engine-specific.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2008, 11:22 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Arrow Auxiliary backup lights - trailer tow wiring how-to

Well... not really a how-to but thought I'd give advice for anyone else contemplating this add on. Makes for nice night time lighting when backing up. Can add a small switch in the dash to activate the relay under the hood as well for those idiots who drive behind you with hi-beams on.

Here's a pic:

I bought the lights cheap on sale at Princess Auto | Quality Selection Service & Value for $16 bucks. 55w halogen with slight yellow tint lenses. Pulled the lenses off and rippout out the black metal cover over the light bulb for some added glare. Made by Xtreme XT855 model.

The easy way to install these (besides making up custom brackets so they fit so sexy under the bumper) is to wire them into the reverse circuit for the trailer tow harness.

If you look on your 7-pin connector, the centre pin is for trailer reverse lights. They aren't wired direct to the truck's reverse lights, but wired to a relay under the hood which is activated by the truck reverse circuit and separate 20A fuse. This way you don't blow your reverse light circuit if your trailer reverse lights short out or whatever. You need to hook into that center pin wire. It is black with a green stripe. Unplug the trailer tow harness up under the truck so you can work with it on the ground easier - soldering and stuff.

Let me just start first of all that after I installed a Tekonsha Primus electric brake controller for the trailer I tested it on a buddy's trailer prior to me picking up a 26' car hauler today... good thing... no power to the controller. (I have factory tow package & receiver hitch) Look in the manual and guess what... no freakin 30A maxi fuse in the fuse panel under the hood. Ok... pop one in... brake controller works. The tekonsha instructions say the display is blank.... so I thought it was working originally... but there is a tiny dim red LED light that lights everytime you press the brake pedal even with no key in the ignition.

So... back to the reverse lights. Get it all wired up solder and heat shrink into the trailer tow harness. I had to remove the spare tire for easier access (and find out I got the freakin lock on there and no lock code, no key in the glove box - are we having a good day yet??! ) Took me about an hour to get the b*stard off... but that's another thread.

Start it up, put the hand brake on and reverse gear. Hmmm.... no backup lights. ***? Look in the owners manual again. Shows trailer reverse lights towing relay and trailer battery charging relay #38 and #39.... but don't tell me where the hell it is in the fuse box. There are two separate boxes mounted to the underhood fuse box. Each holds two relays. Pop off the covers. The relay box closest to the firewall holds the battery charge relay and reverse lights relay. Nothing in mine so no worky. You can verify you got the right relay plugin box by looking at the wiring loom, same black wire with green stripe going to the back of the truck in there. Go to Ford dealer, cut me a break on price, $23 for two pkg relays Ford Part # FOAZ-14N089-A. BTW, these are identical to typical fog light 30A relays - you just have to bust the screw tab off so they fit under the pop-off cover. Save yourself some cash and go that route.

I also had to relocate the trailer wiring plug under the bumper, somewhat to the left as there wasn't enough room for the light on that side with it in the factory location. The bumper metal is 1/4" thick at least. So I broke off the little tab (once removed from the truck) on the bracket. Drilled a new hole a few inches over. Tapped it for 5/16 bolt. Then fastened it back on with a big washer. Fits great. Nice and flush, just moved over a couple inches.

Anyway, it all works now. But beats me why the truck had the trailer tow package and NO brake controller fuse and no trailer relays.
2001 F250 4x4 crew lariat 7.3L auto, DP Tuner F5 no-start/valet/20tow/80econo/140aggressive, NAPC 450series trans w/billet triple disc TC, ISSPRO egt/boost/pyro, foil delete, 6" stainless tip, Magnaflow 17979 4" turbo-back, dieselsite boots & coolant filter kit, HX crossover, boost fooler, 6.0L trans cooler, ported turbo housing, DIY 6637 Tymar, billet grill, line-x bedliner, bug deflector, tint, 08' alum diff cover, clear corners & tails, silverstar bulbs, 2000w inverter, Tekonsha Primus, 220A HD alternator, etc.

2009 VW Jetta 2.0TDI 6spd Highline full load except nav. 19" Audi RS6 rims. REVO tuned. AS7609 navi head unit 7" touch, Custom fiberglass box MD Sound 12" & Boss NXD5500 amp. Tint is next.

Last edited by westvandude; 08-28-2009 at 11:33 PM.
westvandude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-14-2008, 02:15 PM   #2 (permalink)

Thanks for that info. I'm going to check mine, when it gets out of the shop. My brake controller works, but the reverse lights light up on both the horse trailer and the Airstream, when I plug in to the seven-way....has me totally baffled.

If I'm missing the 30A, I wonder if that would make the difference....

2004 F-350 CC DRW LB FX4 4x4
Oxford White/Arizona Beige
King Ranch
2012 Ford bed w/Factory Reese hitch option
4.10 TracLok
Reman'd 6.0L @43,956 miles
Reman'd Turbo @54,814 miles
HPOP @154,120 miles
Radiator, water pump, t-stat & hoses @168,520 miles
Dieselsite Coolant Filter
Fleetrite ELC
Blue Spring Update
River City Diesel EGR Delete
Gutted Cat
Strokin' 6.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-15-2008, 09:20 PM   #3 (permalink)

I'm confused... are you saying your brake controller DOESN'T work? If so that would likely be the blown or missing 30A maxi fuse. If your trailer reverse lights work then you prob have the small 20A fuse and relays underhood.
2001 F250 4x4 crew lariat 7.3L auto, DP Tuner F5 no-start/valet/20tow/80econo/140aggressive, NAPC 450series trans w/billet triple disc TC, ISSPRO egt/boost/pyro, foil delete, 6" stainless tip, Magnaflow 17979 4" turbo-back, dieselsite boots & coolant filter kit, HX crossover, boost fooler, 6.0L trans cooler, ported turbo housing, DIY 6637 Tymar, billet grill, line-x bedliner, bug deflector, tint, 08' alum diff cover, clear corners & tails, silverstar bulbs, 2000w inverter, Tekonsha Primus, 220A HD alternator, etc.

2009 VW Jetta 2.0TDI 6spd Highline full load except nav. 19" Audi RS6 rims. REVO tuned. AS7609 navi head unit 7" touch, Custom fiberglass box MD Sound 12" & Boss NXD5500 amp. Tint is next.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:24 PM   #4 (permalink)

The brake controller does work. When I plug either the horse trailer or the Airstream to the truck, the reverse lights automatically light up on the trailer and stay on for the duration.

King Ranch
4.10 TracLok
HPOP @154,120 miles
Fleetrite ELC
Blue Spring Update
Gutted Cat
Old 08-16-2008, 12:24 AM   #5 (permalink)

Sounds to me like either the wiring at the trailer plug is wrong or perhaps your reverse lights relay in the truck is stuck on.

There is a 20A fuse (#38 apparently) in the underhood fuse panel. Pull that out. If the trailer lights shut off you've determined there's something wrong with the relay.

I take it your normal reverse lights work fine? On and off with reverse gear?

You can also measure the voltage at the trailer tow harness @ the bumper, if you have 12v on the center pin then it is in fact wired correct but like I said, you've got a relay issue.

Last edited by westvandude; 08-16-2008 at 12:27 AM.
Old 08-16-2008, 09:59 AM   #6 (permalink)

Normal reverse lights on the truck do work fine. I'll have to check the center pin for the voltage and the #38 relay.

Thanks for the info.

King Ranch
4.10 TracLok
HPOP @154,120 miles
Fleetrite ELC
Blue Spring Update
Gutted Cat
Old 08-17-2008, 01:51 PM   #7 (permalink)

Westvandude,

Did you install a switch in the dash to activate the lights without having to put it into reverse? If you did, can you provide some details on how you wired up the switch.

I'd like to do the same thing on my X.

Thanks,

Brian (in New West)
Hooked is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-17-2008, 10:40 PM   #8 (permalink)

No, haven't done that yet but want to.

You just need to find a 12v source for the switch that's on when the engine is running. Or find a constant on source such as the trailer brake controller connector that is hot at all times.

Then wire it into the control side of the trailer reverse lights relay. You are looking for a black wire with pink stripe. Comes off the digital transmission range sensor. This colour wire also goes to both reverse lights. The only disadvantage is both your new lights and existing reverse lights will light up.

The wire that goes to the transmission switch is blue with pink stripe.

The beam pattern on the lights I bought is quite narrow height-wise and very wide sideways. Will have to adjust the height so it works good for reverse lighting but also blinds idiots who drive with hi-beams behind you.

Old 08-18-2008, 11:22 AM   #9 (permalink)

Thanks for the info Westvandude. I just checked my manual this morning, and unfortuantely, it doesn't show any relays for the trailer reverse lights or charging circuit. It only lists fuses for them. I have a 4x4, 2000 Excursion with the tow package, and I guess they were wired up differently than the '01 Super Duties.

I still plan to install lights, but will now probably have make a wire run from the dash to the back of the truck rather than through the fire wall and into the engine compartment.

Thanks again.

Brian
Old 08-18-2008, 05:48 PM   #10 (permalink)

The center pin on the 7-pin trailer connector is for trailer reverse lights. Crawl underneath. It should be blk/grn stripe.

Now look under the hood. There's the big fuse panel on the driver's side. Two relay boxes are mounted beside it. They are not shown in the manual. But listed as relay 38/39. If you look at the wiring coming off the first box (each has 2 relays inside) closest to firewall, you should see that same blk/grn stripe wire.

Maybe yours is different, I've got a cr*ppy Haynes manual. But I think that was off an Excursion. Should be the same as mine.

You can test with a voltmeter, the center pin will have 12v when the vehicle is in reverse. Measure between the center pin and any metal piece such as the bumper/frame. Make sure the person in the vehicle has the foot on the brake so you don't get run over!

Old 08-18-2008, 06:48 PM   #11 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (178)
Good writeup and good looking install.

Sounds like yours always operate with the backup lights, and also when you hit the switch.

I just did a similar setup on mine, but spliced into the output of the trailer backup relay thru a switch to trigger a relay I mounted under the hood that powers the aux backup lights. I filled up the spare slot on my Carling switch panel with a DPDT that lets controls the aux lights either off, on with backup lights, or on when I want them on. I did have to run the power wire for them up to the front separately, though. The switch has a pilot light to indicate the aux lights are on also. Mounted mine just forward of the bumper on the trailer hitch bracket. I'll have to get some pics of my setup posted also.

Careful about using them for those idiot "high beamers", might be a LEO with other things on his mind than his dimmer switch. Flash him and you may get a ticket.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-18-2008, 11:25 PM   #12 (permalink)

Westvandude,

I just had a peek under the hood and found the relays - thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it. I think I found my weekend project and I'll be off to Princess Auto in Coquitlam tomorrow to see what they have for lights.

I have a 12 volt source for the switch - it's the same one that I use to power the switch and relay for my driving lights. So, just to make sure that I didn't misunderstand your last post, I take the wire from this new switch and tap into the BLACK and PINK wire which is the trigger side of the reverse lights relay. Is that right?

What is the significance of the blue and pink wire that goes to the transmission switch?

Edit: I was just thinking, do you think I should put a diode on the new switch and one on the factory control wire as well?

Thanks again for all your help.

Brian

Last edited by Hooked; 08-19-2008 at 12:19 AM.
Old 08-19-2008, 03:05 PM   #13 (permalink)

Almost right.... the blk/grn stripe wire is the high current side. The transmission switch one is the one you want to connect your new switch to, this controls the relay. If you have a diode in the blue/pink wire (the correct orientation) you shouldn't trigger your normal reverse lights when your switch energizes the relay.

Make sure to hook the switch into that blue/pink wire AFTER the diode. The diode should go between where your switch connects and the transmission switch. No diodes between the switch and the relay.

Old 08-30-2008, 09:12 PM   #14 (permalink)

Well, I installed the dash switch and mounted the lights as described by Westvandude.

I ended up buying a set of Optex lights that are made by Hella for $20. Everything went smooth and the lights mounted to the bumper of my Excursion with no problems - very easy actually.

BUT... when I turned on the ignition and put the transmission in reverse - poof, the 20 amp fuse under the hood blew right away. UGGHHH a short (or so I thought).

Long story short (no pun intended), I disconnected the lights but left the rest of my wiring "harness" in place. I replaced the fuse and put the truck in reverse. No blown fuse and I get power when I check the center pin on the trailer plug. As soon as I introduce one of the new lights into the circuit (doesn't matter which light), the fuse pops.

Does anybody have any idea what might be wrong, I've tested the lights on a spare car battery and they seem to work fine.

I even tried wiring the lights direct to the trailer plug, bypassing the rest of my wiring, but same result. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I plan to try another set of lights tomorrow (after I go buy some more fuses) to see if it's the lights. The only other thing that I thought might be a problem is that I used the ground wire off the trailer harness rather than using some point on the frame. I don't think that this would be the cause, but I might be wrong.

Thanks.

Brian
Old 08-30-2008, 09:47 PM   #15 (permalink)

My Photos: (16)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooked View Post
Well, I installed the dash switch and mounted the lights as described by Westvandude.

I ended up buying a set of Optex lights that are made by Hella for $20. Everything went smooth and the lights mounted to the bumper of my Excursion with no problems - very easy actually.

BUT... when I turned on the ignition and put the transmission in reverse - poof, the 20 amp fuse under the hood blew right away. UGGHHH a short (or so I thought).

Long story short (no pun intended), I disconnected the lights but left the rest of my wiring "harness" in place. I replaced the fuse and put the truck in reverse. No blown fuse and I get power when I check the center pin on the trailer plug. As soon as I introduce one of the new lights into the circuit (doesn't matter which light), the fuse pops.

Does anybody have any idea what might be wrong, I've tested the lights on a spare car battery and they seem to work fine.

I even tried wiring the lights direct to the trailer plug, bypassing the rest of my wiring, but same result. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I plan to try another set of lights tomorrow (after I go buy some more fuses) to see if it's the lights. The only other thing that I thought might be a problem is that I used the ground wire off the trailer harness rather than using some point on the frame. I don't think that this would be the cause, but I might be wrong.

Thanks.

Brian
Run the lights on their own relay. You should be able to pick up a relay and prewired plug at any auto parts store. That way you can just use the reverse lights to power the relay and run power straight from the battery to the relay to power the lights.
2006 F350 - Amarillo Package,loaded with all the toys, 4" MBRP cat back exhaust, Autometer EGT gauge, Viper 791XV auto start/cool down timer/alarm, Pioneer AVIC-D3 navigation/XM Radio/Sirius, 2.5" Tuff Country Leveling kit, KC Hilights front & rear, Dieselsite.com coolant filter, SkyJacker dual steering stabilizer, Firestone Ride Rite airbags w/onboard compressor, Kleinn Train Horns, Bilsteins all the way around, Recon LED's in the back, Programmed with the SuperChips 1805 Tuner always set on Tow Safe for a little extra get up and go.

30' Cardinal 30TS 5th wheel. The weekend home away from home.

"The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese."
overfly is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.