Bypass oil filter? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General

1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-2007 Super Duty. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are not engine-specific.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2005, 06:46 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bypass oil filter?

Please excuse my ignorance, but what is an oil bypass filter, where/how is it installed, and what benefit will it provide? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img] I've read many posts of guys who use them with synthetic oil, and only change the filter.

I've got 13000 miles on my 05 now, and I'm considering a change to sythetic oil all around. I really like the truck, and would like it to last forever (or close at least).

thanks
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2005, 07:24 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Bypass oil filter?

Just got my latest issue of Power Stroke Registry in the mail and they had a really good article about installing one. I'm like you in not really sure about how they work (I know they mount externally from the engine-like to the frame). The biggest thing I got out of the whole article was they said it wouldn't be worth it if you want to keep the truck for a couple 100,000 miles. If you do want to try much more than that, then maybe the money and the time will be of benefit.
lawnspecialties is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2005, 07:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

The basics of a bypass filter: As said its an external mount,the feed line can come from only 1 place (that i know of on the 6.0L)the oil filter cap.I tapped the fact. plastic cap (couldnt see spending $100. for nicely machined Oilguard cap)and it is working fine w/no leaks. The bypass filter then only uses a small amount of oil flow which super cleans the sub-micron particles that your engine deposits into the oil and then returns the polished oil back to your oil pan. Its pretty simple. I installed mine only for piece o mind not so much for extended drain intervals. Go Hogs might show up and explain this better
-----------------------------------
05 F350,DRW,CC,FX4,Lariat,4:10 ears,4x4,
AutoMeter Cobalts,pyro/trans/boost
popup g/n hitch,CCV reroute,MotorGuard M30 bypass filter,MBRP tubo back,SCT,all update parts with EGR gone,Insight CTS
jombi1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2005, 07:58 PM   #4 (permalink)

Here is some info on bypass filters:

Reduces Wear
Approximately 60 percent of all engine wear is caused by dirt particles in the 5 to 20 micron range. These particles can get inside the precision clearances between engine components and cause severe damage. While full-flow oil filters generally stop contaminants no smaller than 25 to 40 microns, some bypass filters effectively stop particles smaller than one micron in size, substantially reducing engine wear.

Prevents Oil Degradation, Rust and Corrosion
Water enters motor oil as a combustion by-product or as a condensate. Water contamination of the motor oil can cause extreme engine damage. Water causes metal surface rust and corrosion, which increases friction and wear and deteriorates the close-fitting tolerances between engine components. In addition, water reacts with other oil contaminants to form corrosive acids, which also damage metal components. The some bypass filters remove water, reducing the risk of oil degradation, engine rust and corrosion.

Extends Oil Drain Intervals
Because the some bypass filters remove water and particles smaller than one micron, they significantly increase the time oil can safely be left in the engine. That saves motorists time and money and helps protect the environment by creating substantially less used oil.

Why I did it?
1. To reduce engine wear.
2. To save time & money by not having to change the oil.
3. Because I plan to keep my truck for 10 years/250,000 miles and I want the engine to have the best protection available.
4. Better performance and fuel mileage from synthetic oil.

I hope this helps. If you want to see how I got mine installed click on BMK-11 in my signature. There is also a thread in this forums with more information on the installation.
<font color="red">AMS<font color="blue">OIL Severe Gear 75W-140 in Rear Axle
XM SkyFi2 Satellite Radio

[i]"You can lead a horse to water but you can not make him drink."[i]</font>
txcas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2005, 08:04 PM   #5 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
The basics of a bypass filter: As said its an external mount,the feed line can come from only 1 place (that i know of on the 6.0L)the oil filter cap.I tapped the fact. plastic cap (couldnt see spending $100. for nicely machined Oilguard cap)and it is working fine w/no leaks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice trick; tapping on the plastic oil filter cover. You can also remove the oil pressure sender, put a T adapter in its place, and then connect the oil pressure sender and the bypass filter feed line to the T. I understand that it is not easy to remove the oil pressure sender and that a tool from Ford is required to do it.

Old 10-07-2005, 08:14 PM   #6 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The basics of a bypass filter: As said its an external mount,the feed line can come from only 1 place (that i know of on the 6.0L)the oil filter cap.I tapped the fact. plastic cap (couldnt see spending $100. for nicely machined Oilguard cap)and it is working fine w/no leaks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice trick; tapping on the plastic oil filter cover. You can also remove the oil pressure sender, put a T adapter in its place, and then connect the oil pressure sender and the bypass filter feed line to the T. I understand that it is not easy to remove the oil pressure sender and that a tool from Ford is required to do it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmm, where is the sender located on the 6.0?? I tapped the cover and have no leaks but there really isnt much beef there on the top of that cap,maybe 3/16"-1/4" I kinda like the safety of a beefy thread on my oil supply line.
-----------------------------------
05 F350,DRW,CC,FX4,Lariat,4:10 ears,4x4,
AutoMeter Cobalts,pyro/trans/boost
popup g/n hitch,CCV reroute,MotorGuard M30 bypass filter,MBRP tubo back,SCT,all update parts with EGR gone,Insight CTS
jombi1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-07-2005, 08:30 PM   #7 (permalink)

The sender is very close to the full flow filter assembly. Check this picture http://dan.prxy.org/Truck/6L_bible_h.../Page_025.html for its location.

Old 10-08-2005, 06:04 AM   #8 (permalink)

Wow! Ask and yee shall receive.

Thanks for the great info everyone.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:27 AM   #9 (permalink)

My Photos: (25)

[ QUOTE ]

Reduces Wear

If you want to see how I got mine installed click on BMK-11 in my signature. There is also a thread in this forums with more information on the installation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did you get the cool looking oil filter cap that is already tapped for a bypass oil line? Where does the oil line enter back into the engine?

I've got a bare Amsoil bypass filter mount that I got from a friend, so no instructions for a 6.0.

Thanks,

Al
Old 01-16-2006, 09:49 AM   #10 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Reduces Wear

If you want to see how I got mine installed click on BMK-11 in my signature. There is also a thread in this forums with more information on the installation.

[/ QUOTE ]

Where did you get the cool looking oil filter cap that is already tapped for a bypass oil line? Where does the oil line enter back into the engine?

I've got a bare Amsoil bypass filter mount that I got from a friend, so no instructions for a 6.0.

Thanks,

Al

[/ QUOTE ]

You can get the Oil Filter cap that is red billet aluminum and tapped with the fittings from Oilguard. I have a Motorguard from Ralph Wood and return the filtered oil to the crankcase via a hollow bolt provided by him with the Mototguard TP filter. It took me a while to convinve myself to punch hole in my oil pan but finally did it and worked out great. Go Hogs Go helped alot with info and pointers.
Old 01-16-2006, 11:53 AM   #11 (permalink)

My Photos: (25)

Thanks, but wow! $290!!

I saw the 6.0 kit but didn't see anything that would indicate they would sell the oil filter mount only.

Al
Old 01-16-2006, 12:00 PM   #12 (permalink)

I put the OilGuard on my truck a few weeks back. See the link in my signature. Its a nice product but I didn't use the hose supplied in the kit - had a local hydraulics shop make some braided stainless steel lines for me (another $100!!). I don't know that I will have the truck past 100,000 miles (depends on how many times its in the shop from now until then) but I like the piece of mind knowing that the oil that opening my injectors is as clean as possible.
SCT Tuned by Innovative
ryandye is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.