Bypass oil filter - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General

1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-2007 Super Duty. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are not engine-specific.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-04-2006, 01:04 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Bypass oil filter

I am looking to add a bypass oil filter. I was going to use the Baldwin 164. My Napa guy told me to use a Napa 1050 (Wix 51050). But he was not able to give me a micron rating. He told me to go to wix.com and look it up. So after visiting Wix, I crossed the Baldwin B164 to a 51704 (Napa 1704) that has a nominal micron rating of 28. My full flow FL1995 Motorcraft crosses to a Wix 51734 With a nominal micron of 19. The wix 51050 has a nominal micro rating of 10.

I thought the Baldwin 164 was around 3 absolute. What is the difference between nominal micron and absolute micron? Sorry so long just trying to get a good affordable bypass oil filter.
2000 PSD,C/C,S/B. 8"Superlift,Bilsteins,37x14x18 Nitto, Hello Max 8,Fender Flares, Cowl Hood,5" Twin Smoke Stacks, Air Bags,Guages,DP Tunes, Exh Brake.6637 Intake,Zoodad,TC lock, Truespeed, Coolent Filter, DIY Amsoil bypass Filter,Tranny bypass filter,Heater Bypass,Over Boost Valve,Ultra White Headlights.

http://community.webshots.com/user/redneckpsd
Redneckpsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-04-2006, 05:20 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: Bypass oil filter

Those micron ratings do not sound like bypass filters a normal filter
is 25 to 35 micron. My <font color="blue"> Oilguard </font> <font color="black"> </font> is 3 micron. I have had it in for 3000 miles
and the oil is still as clean as when I put it in. I will do a
Blackstone report in about 1000 miles. Im sure it will come back
A-OK. To me It is well worth every $.01.
Just my $.02 [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img]
DIESELSITE BOOST RELIEF VALVE, 203^ THERMOSTAT AND HOUSING, MAX A/C VALVE AND COOLANT FILTER
ATS TURBO HOUSING, FORD A.I.S., OILGUARD BY-PASS, 4" MAGNAFLOW STRAIGHT PIPE, SIDE EXIT,
NCHORNET'S CCV MOD, POR-15 OIL PAN
ISSPRO A-PILLAR PYRO/BOOST/TRANS, ISSPRO ENGINE, OIL TEMP AND VOLTS OVER MIRROR
MARINCO MOD, LED ID BAR, HEATED SIGNAL MIRRORS, LED BRAKE AND TURN SIGNAL BULBS FRONT AND REAR
RHINO BED LINER, SIRIUS RADIO ,
AMERICAN EAGLE WHEELS WITH 305-70-16 NITTO TERRA GRAPPLERS WITH A 2" DONAHOE LEVELING KIT
TRUCK BUILD DATE 1/8/02
BTS BUILD DATE 1/8/07 AT 41K
My Truck
remedm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2006, 10:41 AM   #3 (permalink)

I called Baldwin and found that the B164 filter is 15 micron absolute and 3 micron nominol.
2000 PSD,C/C,S/B. 8"Superlift,Bilsteins,37x14x18 Nitto, Hello Max 8,Fender Flares, Cowl Hood,5" Twin Smoke Stacks, Air Bags,Guages,DP Tunes, Exh Brake.6637 Intake,Zoodad,TC lock, Truespeed, Coolent Filter, DIY Amsoil bypass Filter,Tranny bypass filter,Heater Bypass,Over Boost Valve,Ultra White Headlights.

http://community.webshots.com/user/redneckpsd
Redneckpsd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-06-2006, 02:39 PM   #4 (permalink)

I put an FS2500 on mine and alot of people have said that the Oilguard does the same for less money but either way, both are worth it if I can protect my engine. The FS was around 450 complete. Micro is down to 3. Less than that some say doesn't do damage. Mine has been on for about 7000 miles and it is also still clear as the day I put it on. Oil report at 5K showed no necessary actions needed.
2000 Ford 7.3L CC 4X4 4" lift, XM radio, FS2500 Oil Bypass, AFE Stage I PG7 intake, 4" MBRP single exhaust, WW, Zoodad, 203*, 40 gallon combo tank, triple gauges and 3 pos DT Tuner chip -- ALL STOLEN from PARKING LOT
DLBartley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2006, 02:07 PM   #5 (permalink)

I am running an Amsoil Bypass that is supposed to be 1 micron absolute.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:21 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (22)

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

U wanna buy a bridge?

Hammer

I still have the:
2001 F250 Lariat CC/SB 4x4 7.3 auto

TERMINATOR HPOS...Ceramic coated Garrett GTP-38R with BBHA & GDS outlet...DP-tuner Big Oil Program...ITPdiesel Fueling and overboost regulator...6.0 CAC...AFE Stage-II PG7... Magnaflow 3.5dp/4exh...5R110 TC, BTS VB, John Wood pump mods, & V10 cooler...Schaeffer's 9000 5w-40...Oilguard bypass...and other stuff

On the shelf collecting Dust: <font color="green"> Stainless Grill Overlay </font>

<font color="red"> Carolina PSD club </font>

Get Your Tuning Here: www.DP-tuner.com and your Fuel kits here: www.ITPdiesel.com
TheHammer69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2006, 05:49 PM   #7 (permalink)

I cobbled up an oil bypass last fall and it works fine.I bought a Baldwin Filter base # OB1305 for $32 Canadian, a Donaldson filter #P553404 for $8+, suitable hose and connectors and did the instal.
I am currently using a Fleetguard filter #LF778. The oil looks clean after 5000kms. As one can see, the price is right. I will be doing another B-Stone when I do the change. FWIW
jgr
2000 F350, Ecab, LWB, SRW, 4X2, ZF6, Full Gauges, Ebrake, Chipped 271rwhp/584tq, Scan gauge II, Coolantfilter, fumoto valve, oil by-pass filter, CCV mod with return to intake, dahl 100, 40 gal. aux tank, straight piped, PML cover, 203 stat and billet, AIS, Zoodad
pristine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2006, 06:07 PM   #8 (permalink)

My Photos: (11)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

U wanna buy a bridge?

Hammer

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to add less than subjective comments like "buying a bridge" [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] ....

[ QUOTE ]
The amsoil unit is nominal to 1/10. but absolute to 3 microns.
Bob

[/ QUOTE ]

By Bob Riley on 01/02/03 09:31 PM <font color="red"> HERE</font> and discusses some of the other bypass filter ratings.

Larry
2001PSD(PCM:HPI2)SD E-350,Dk Emerald Grn,4.10LS, <font color="blue">Mustang dyno - 183.9/400.4 stock</font> [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], BTS w/Schaeffer's ATF[img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/biggrin.gif[/img] , ITP 3.5"/4" exhaust w/Magnaflow & Aeroturbine,Dieselsite 203* T-stat/Zerex G-05,F.Pwr, Ext/Int. Upgd. pkg,R. Bds,AIC,Tow Pkg, Rear & Slider windows,<font color="red">AMSOIL air, oil-bypass & rear end 75w-140 fluid ,<font color="blue">3/8" fuel sys w/10 Dieselsite DAHL100 & fuel manifold/sight glass</font>,6 way dr. pwr. seat, Magnefine trans/P.S. filters</font>, husky mats,<font color="red">5 gauge A-pillar ISSPRO EVs w/Grn mkr illum. + air & fuel restriction gauges</font>,Dieselsite coolant filter and zinc electrode, manual GPR switch & GP LED, blinking security LED, weathertechs, a few other "Gadgets" [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img], & a 1981 26' Prowler TT(26Y)
Larry M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2006, 06:12 PM   #9 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

U wanna buy a bridge?

Hammer

[/ QUOTE ]

Just to add less than subjective comments like "buying a bridge" [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] ....

[ QUOTE ]
The amsoil unit is nominal to 1/10. but absolute to 3 microns.
Bob

[/ QUOTE ]

By Bob Riley on 01/02/03 09:31 PM <font color="red"> HERE</font> and discusses some of the other bypass filter ratings.

Larry

[/ QUOTE ]

I could have gotten on a big speal about Amsoil dealer deception &amp; lies....I figured talking about a bridge for sale was kinder.

Hammer

I still have the:

TERMINATOR HPOS...Ceramic coated Garrett GTP-38R with BBHA & GDS outlet...DP-tuner Big Oil Program...ITPdiesel Fueling and overboost regulator...6.0 CAC...AFE Stage-II PG7... Magnaflow 3.5dp/4exh...5R110 TC, BTS VB, John Wood pump mods, & V10 cooler...Schaeffer's 9000 5w-40...Oilguard bypass...and other stuff

On the shelf collecting Dust: <font color="green"> Stainless Grill Overlay </font>

Get Your Tuning Here: www.DP-tuner.com and your Fuel kits here: www.ITPdiesel.com
Old 04-10-2006, 06:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Why is an "Amsoil Dealer" the liar? I see the truth "stretched" in every aspect of life if sales are involved. The Garrett BB turbo was touted as the greatest high performance turbo to ever come around by dealers......before it was even for sale. Garrett calls it a heavy duty stock replacement good to handle a few more lbs of boost. I see chips sold as 160hp, ICP boxes that do everything from giving you 100hp and even wiping your butt [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

It's up to the consumer to do his homework. It's very easy to call Amsoil and ask if his filter is 1 micron absolute. It's not by the way. It's also easy to say.. "I don't think your filter is quite that good"
There are sleasy salesman, but my experience with Amsoil dealers has shown me that most mean no harm, they simply don't know better. There a few real sharp ones, and they will tell you straight, and then there's the majority that tell what they heard without anything to back it up.
Bob

Proud Sponsor of TheDieselStop.com
GOT DIESEL? call us at 888-414-3457
DIESELSITE is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2006, 09:46 PM   #11 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
Why is an "Amsoil Dealer" the liar? I see the truth "stretched" in every aspect of life if sales are involved. The Garrett BB turbo was touted as the greatest high performance turbo to ever come around by dealers......before it was even for sale. Garrett calls it a heavy duty stock replacement good to handle a few more lbs of boost. I see chips sold as 160hp, ICP boxes that do everything from giving you 100hp and even wiping your butt [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

It's up to the consumer to do his homework. It's very easy to call Amsoil and ask if his filter is 1 micron absolute. It's not by the way. It's also easy to say.. "I don't think your filter is quite that good"
There are sleasy salesman, but my experience with Amsoil dealers has shown me that most mean no harm, they simply don't know better. There a few real sharp ones, and they will tell you straight, and then there's the majority that tell what they heard without anything to back it up.
Bob

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand how this hits home with you. I have said in the past that I think you are an honest dealer. Unfortunately, in my oil escapades, the ones who usually seem to spewing the most bull are usually Amsoil hacks. If I had a dime for everytime I heard an Amsoil hack claim Mobil-1 is not a true synthetic......

I really think it comes down to just about any John, Dick, or Harry can become a "dealer" and many don't take he time to educate themselves on the facts.

You mean to tell me the GTP-38R isn't the worlds greatest turbo? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] It is when you aquire one virtually new for $510. [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]

Hammer

I still have the:

Old 04-11-2006, 09:32 AM   #12 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]

If I had a dime for everytime I heard an Amsoil hack claim Mobil-1 is not a true synthetic......
Hammer

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually Mobil 1 is a very good synthetic, however Shell Rotella is not a synthetic it is a hydrocracked oil. Like was said above you have to do your homework. I was not trying to mislead anyone, I was just typing with out checking my facts, sorry to anyonw that I mislead.
Old 04-11-2006, 03:10 PM   #13 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

If I had a dime for everytime I heard an Amsoil hack claim Mobil-1 is not a true synthetic......
Hammer

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually Mobil 1 is a very good synthetic, however Shell Rotella is not a synthetic it is a hydrocracked oil. Like was said above you have to do your homework. I was not trying to mislead anyone, I was just typing with out checking my facts, sorry to anyonw that I mislead.

[/ QUOTE ]

I know the deal about Mobil and Shell Synthetics...I was using the Mobil-1 Analogy because certain Amsoil dealing indivduals like to spread a lie saying Mobil-1 isn't a "true synthetic". And whether Shell's Group.III oil should be labled a synthetic is a whole other debate not pertinant to this subject.

At least you are honest about not checking your facts.

Hammer

I still have the:

Old 04-11-2006, 03:16 PM   #14 (permalink)

Thank you sir. And I am notably impressed that you recognize the group of oils that Rotella falls into.
Old 04-11-2006, 08:36 PM   #15 (permalink)

My Photos: (31)

So what's wrong with Rotella?
2001 F350 XLT White Crew Cab 7.3L Long Bed * (CCV) Racor 4500 * Fumoto (Oil Drain Valve) * AFE Stage II(Pro Guard 7) * AC control valve * AutoMeter Lunar gauges on the pillar (Pyro - Transmission Temp - Boost) * (TTM) Turbo Temp Monitor * 6.0L Tranny cooler * 6.0L IC * 203 Thermostat * (SS) HX-Hose * Non-Wastegated Van Turbo w/ATS housing & Stock Wheel * Gutted Pedistal * Line X * ZooDad Air * 4" DPPI SS dual exhaust from ITP * Aeroturbine 4040 * Donahoe 2" (mini spring packs) leveling kit * F5 DP Tuner chip with live custom tunes * Brians Truck Shop Transmission (BTS)

Truck Pictures

Webshots

Ford Makes It - International Shakes It "FOMOGO"
Humdinger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.