Carbon Fiber Driveshaft - Page 4 - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General

1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-2007 Super Duty. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are not engine-specific.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-20-2007, 01:17 PM   #46 (permalink)

My Photos: (17)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Re: Carbon Fiber Driveshaft

What does the stock shaft weigh?
2002 F350 Lariat CC 4x4 Auto 4.10 DRW, DP-Tuner F5 live tuned stock, quiet, 40dd, 40, 60, 80 tow, 80e and 120r, B&W GN, BrakeSmart, 'pooned tank, tank and pre-pump mods, 2 Dahl 100 filter, regulated return, BTS dual HPOP, AC singles with EDM 34 lpm nozzles, AIS, H2e, Spearco 6.0 IC, Hypermax 3.5" dp--> MBRP 4" 304SS exhaust, BTS tranny, 203 T-stat, Chevron ELC, coolant filter, Oilguard bypass with Schaeffer 9000, WranglerNW 200 amp alternator & Optima group 31 batteries, Nippon-Denso starter, SPA gauges, SteveRacer mods, Hella 80/100W 9007s, Hella Micro DE foglights, 1000FF driving lights, 220W backup lights, Stancor contactor, Michelin XPS Traction tires, X-Springs, Bilstein shox, custom bumpers but otherwise stock. Nov 30 '99 build engine with 16 K miles, Fluidampr, Comp Cam 910 springs, Melling LPOP and ARP headstuds.
haul_n_horses2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-20-2007, 02:18 PM   #47 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)

[ QUOTE ]
What does the stock shaft weigh?

[/ QUOTE ]

Next week after it's installed, I'll have the weights, pictures, and dyno results.
2006 F250 KR 20" Tires, Magnaflow 38" Muffler 4" 4" Turbo Back 5" Tip,PowerShot 2000 Fluidampr, AFE stage 2, Banks Technicooler,SCT, Airfury, Pace Edwards Bedlocker, Bilstein shocks, Fuel Cell, ACPT carbon fiber driveshaft
MARK1959 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2007, 10:47 PM   #48 (permalink)

My Photos: (16)

God, I used to make these back in '78 when I worked for Graftek (Exxon Enterprises).

Truck Pictorials on Facebook. Google - Facebook TooManyToys

Step Lights;Painted Flanges; Bypass Oil Filter; Heated Mirror Switch; Reverse Lights; 7.3L Fuel Reg Shim; 6 Disc Radio Speed Volume Mod; Coolant Filter, etc.
FMTRVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-20-2007, 11:15 PM   #49 (permalink)

What were they used for? Were they an improvement over what they replaced. How close were the there balanced tolerances?

I found out that ACPT's has there driveshaft balanced to 1/25 of an once.
2006 F250 KR 20" Tires, Magnaflow 38" Muffler 4" 4" Turbo Back 5" Tip,PowerShot 2000 Fluidampr, AFE stage 2, Banks Technicooler,SCT, Airfury, Pace Edwards Bedlocker, Bilstein shocks, Fuel Cell, ACPT carbon fiber driveshaft
Old 07-27-2007, 11:58 AM   #50 (permalink)

Got some pictures from Mark. I uploaded them to the photo gallery. The shaft weighs in at 32lbs. It uses a carbon fiber tube with steel spicer components on the ends. There is a steel tube inserted into the carbon tube approximately 6 inches which lets them weld the spicer XL components to them.

Here is a pic of the complete shaft:

Here is a pic of the shaft being weighed:

Proof of the 32lbs:

The shaft has a double cardan CV front with a grease jerk to keep it lubed, it is Spicer XL components (the strongest u-joints on the market). The u-joints are a forged cross design unlike the factory cast pieces:

Spicer XL U-joint at the pinion flange:

Greaseable slip yoke (can't grease the factory shaft without taking it apart):

Pinion Flange:

T-Case Flange:
PSDPlayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2007, 02:39 AM   #51 (permalink)

Any dyno numbers or seat of the pants differences to post yet?
Old 07-29-2007, 06:21 PM   #52 (permalink)

Haven't installed yet. There has been some technical difficulties.
Hoping to get resolved within couple weeks. Not ducking your question but I can't get dyno'd until it fits.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:20 PM   #53 (permalink)

$1000 and the sucker doesn't even fit!!! [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/vomit.gif[/img]

My Truck

01 SC PSD Dually (build date 08-00 w/ PMRs), 8" Edge, dual F&R Doetsch aluminum shocks w/ resevoirs, 37" SSR on all 6 tires, 2" (hub & wheel centric) wheel adapters by Fearless Fred Goeske, Fabtech racing track bars.

APC Projectors (HID 10k), clear corners, clear cab lights, clear dually side markers, Amp-Research retractable side-steps, power rear-slider, Snug-Top canopy, billet grill, and chrome truck nutz!

Fully built motor w/ B-codes, GT42R, and Terminator w/ remote IPR HPOS.

Auto Enginuity Pro-Bundle equipped if you need assistance locally.
duallyduty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2007, 08:45 PM   #54 (permalink)

What kind of difficulties are you having.
AFE STAGE 2 INTAKE,4" MBRP TURBO BACK EXHAUST WITH A 5" TIP,
DETROIT LOCKER,MAG-HYTEC DIFF COVER,LIMO TINT ON ALL WINDOWS,
2 VIAIR 480 COMPRESSORS,8 GALLON AIR TANK,NATHAN P3 TRAIN HORN
THEDIESELMAN is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-29-2007, 10:03 PM   #55 (permalink)

My Photos: (16)

[ QUOTE ]
What were they used for? Were they an improvement over what they replaced. How close were the there balanced tolerances?

I found out that ACPT's has there driveshaft balanced to 1/25 of an once.

[/ QUOTE ]

Graftek was in the sporting goods business, making carbon fiber fishing poles, golf clubs, bikes, etc and started to get into other fields, including automotive.

That was the late 70's and with the gas crunch at that time, the auto industry was looking for ways to save money. We were R&Ding all types of parts - driveshafts, pushrods, swaybars, coil and leaf springs for cars, light trucks and tractor trailers. From all of that work at Graftek is where the use of carbon fiber leafs on Corvettes, CF driveshafts on production F-150s and E-150s, GM pickups, and a host of other items.

The Graftek approach to driveshafts was to use an aluminum tube for the torque and mounting of the yokes, and a covering of CF for stiffness. We were prototyping those for Ford, GM and Dana, including up to class 8 tractors. I think the tractor-trailer leaf spring pack weighted about 35 lbs vs hundreds.

No way would I remember the tolerance that the shafts were balanced to.

Truck Pictorials on Facebook. Google - Facebook TooManyToys

Step Lights;Painted Flanges; Bypass Oil Filter; Heated Mirror Switch; Reverse Lights; 7.3L Fuel Reg Shim; 6 Disc Radio Speed Volume Mod; Coolant Filter, etc.
FMTRVT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2007, 12:53 PM   #56 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
CF rims anyone?

[/ QUOTE ]

I believe there are aftermarket companies advertising cf rims. Not sure if they are real CF but that would be crazy.
redfred18t is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-30-2007, 06:47 PM   #57 (permalink)

Okay, It came in, tried to install, but the ends of the driveshaft on a 06 is not the same as an 04. Sent, it back last Friday and tomorrow going to take off the driveshaft and get the correct measurements they need to fix the problem. I should have done this in the first place. Tomorrow at least I'll know what the 2-piece driveshaft weighs.
Old 07-31-2007, 12:10 PM   #58 (permalink)

Just got done measuring and weighing. Should have back by next week.
The end piece that attaches to the rear end was wrong.
Did weigh it though - 50lbs. I'll be saving 18lbs = 64% less weight that stock
Old 08-03-2007, 03:24 PM   #59 (permalink)

Just got tracking number, It will re-arrive this coming Tuesday.

Next week, the mystery will be over. I'll have dyno numbers and

driving impressions.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:05 PM   #60 (permalink)

Finally, I've got her one. Now, can I feel the seat of pants difference" YES

I'm going to have it dyno'd later this week. I'm guessing that its going to be about 12-15 rwhp gain. The big difference was the way it shifted between
gears. When I floored it at 10 mph, I use to feel the shifts from 1st to 2nd to 3rd. The feeling of the shifts are gone?? Hope that made sense. But, now I just hear the motor shifting (no more jolts). It almost seems like the
the truck speed shifts from gear to gear. No more hesitations. It's a whole lot different than before. I like it, but I also liked being somewhat thrown back a little in the seat. Now, its more like a rocket, the shifts are quite unnoticeable. I'm know it's quicker. My Powershot 2000 propane system gave me about 24 rwhp - I don't think the carbon fiber driveshaft is going to give me 24 rwhp. - But, maybe 15rwhp. All I can say is that I'm happy that it's finally in and that if I had to go through this again I would.

Will be getting back with you later this week after the dyno

Doug, at go go diesel dot com has been a tremendous help to me.

I wanted to say God bless him, but God bless him.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.