color of reverse wire behind dash - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General

1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-2007 Super Duty. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are not engine-specific.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2010, 06:38 PM   #1 (permalink)
gdp

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
color of reverse wire behind dash

For the life of me I can't find any info on this. I'm trying to hookup a backup camera to my pioneer head unit and need to connect to a wire behind or under the dash when I put the truck in reverse. Does anyone know the color and/or location? FYI, a year ago when I installed the pioneer unit, the backup cameras were over a hundred bucks so I didn't do it. Now I just got one on ebay for $25 including shipping! My buddy has one and it looks just like all the others.
Thanks a bunch.
gdp is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2010, 08:47 PM   #2 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (175)
I don't think you're going to find a backup lamp wire under the dash. Probably the closest you'll get is one of the inline connectors under the master cylinder in the engine compartment, or possibly the output of the trailer tow backup relay (also in the engine compartment).

For 99 trucks, the output of the backup switch is Black/Pink, going from DTRS (Digital Transmission Range Switch) on the automatic tranny (or the backup lamp switch on the manual tranny) to the bulbs, with a branch going up to the trailer backup lamp relay (located inboard of the fuse box under the hood). The output from the trailer backup lamp relay going to the trailer connector is Black/Lt Green.

But you could use one of the firewall pass-thru wires to bring the signal into the cab. They are near the driver's side hood hinge, and go inside to the lower right of the fuse panel access.

There was a major change in the electrical system for 02 models, so your wiring colors may be different.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-20-2010, 09:24 PM   #3 (permalink)

Try green/brown in drivers kick panel. Maybe in a harness going to rear of vehicle through floor. I'm sure you can find it up high in the kick. Id look at my truck from when I installed mine, but I think the colors are different from 02 to 06
Viper 5900 remote start/alarm w/ one mile range - Pioneer D3 nav - 2500 watt power inverter - Harley headlights - Recon smoked cab lights - ebay 2.5" axle mounted leveling kit
DieselSite coolant filter- added at 39k
8ft WESTERN Pro-Plus w/ back drag blade
6000k slim ballast hi/lo H13 headlights and H10 fog HID kits from ddmtuning.com

to be done mods.. Innovative SCT X3, Edge Insight CTS w/ egt, oil bypass

88 mustang hatch- 347 stroker - for the strip
88 mustang vert- 4.6 DOHC gt-45 turbo - street car
calabrese19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-21-2010, 09:22 AM   #4 (permalink)
gdp

Thanks guys, I kinda thought there might not be a wire due to the electronics. I'll see if the drivers kick panel wire is easy to get to. I'd rather bring one from engine compartment than mess around under the dash so I'll look at that too.
Old 08-22-2010, 09:56 AM   #5 (permalink)

Don't be scared. Its only when you start stripping random wires do things start to go wrong.
Viper 5900 remote start/alarm w/ one mile range - Pioneer D3 nav - 2500 watt power inverter - Harley headlights - Recon smoked cab lights - ebay 2.5" axle mounted leveling kit
DieselSite coolant filter- added at 39k
8ft WESTERN Pro-Plus w/ back drag blade
6000k slim ballast hi/lo H13 headlights and H10 fog HID kits from ddmtuning.com

to be done mods.. Innovative SCT X3, Edge Insight CTS w/ egt, oil bypass

88 mustang hatch- 347 stroker - for the strip
88 mustang vert- 4.6 DOHC gt-45 turbo - street car
calabrese19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-23-2010, 08:44 PM   #6 (permalink)
gdp

For what it's worth, I looked around the kick panel and the harness running by the door to the rear cab and decided it wasn't worth the trouble..besides there's a mess of wires above the kick panel from a remote start/alarm I put in before and I'd rather not move anything there as long as it's working! But it was a piece of cake to hook to the black/pink wire under the master cylinder, use the spares and put it right into the dash where I wanted it. Thanks for that tip. Now I'm not sure I want to auto switch to the camera every time I put it in reverse. I'm thinking I'll undo that input to the stereo and switch to it manually when I want it.
Old 09-13-2010, 07:46 PM   #7 (permalink)

Just installed a backup on a 2004 F250 with the wiring help of a 2002 model. If you unbolt the Central Junction Box (CJB), fuse panel, the plug on the bottom right there is a black with pink stripe wire on pin 1 (Connector C270f). This is voltage supplied in reverse. Plug a meter in put in reverse power on, any place else power off. This is the wire that ties into your reverse lights. Sorry about late reply but pretty easy to do.
888razzle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2011, 07:21 PM   #8 (permalink)

Reverse wire under the dash for Backup camera - photo

Installed a reverse camera today on my 2005 F350 DRW Superduty. I can verify that it is the black wire with the pink strip. I actually found two of them on the back side of the fuse box. Only checked the one that was easier to get at so I used it. Works great. Just pull the kick panel off, remove the four 10mm bolts that hold the fuse box in place to get to the back of it, then unclip the small harness that hold the Black wire with pink stripe to allow easy access for splicing. I have attached a couple pictures. The wire you are looking for is the one I am touching with the exacto knife in the second photo. That is if I can succesfully upload the photos.
Attached Thumbnails
color of reverse wire behind dash-p2250079.jpg   color of reverse wire behind dash-p2250080.jpg  
leszek is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.