Engine mounted hydraulic pump - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General

1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-2007 Super Duty. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are not engine-specific.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2010, 05:36 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Engine mounted hydraulic pump

My brother installed a hydraulic winch a while back and has since gone through 2 power steering pumps including 1 that is a SUPER upgraded, polished, hardened, etc..... and they all end up crapping out. The actual pump shaft bends, anyway has anyone ever mounted a hydraulic pump to the engine? Do they make one? Thanks in advance.
2000 Excursion Limited PSD 4X4 Green/Tan 5" Superlift Selectride, Bilsteins, 35" BFG A/T, 16X10 Eagle Alloys, 3.73 gears, 203 Thermostat Turbo back 4" Banks Exhaust, 5" tip, Superchips 1705 Power Programmer,K&N Cold Air Intake,DVD system and Audiovox LCD monitor, Custom Bumper,4 KC Hilites
http://community.webshots.com/album/321346005bpfSxB?7
jguzman75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-02-2010, 05:45 PM   #2 (permalink)

Best thing to do is mount a pto pump to the transmission. most manual trannys have pto provisioins, and some auto do too. what type of truck is the winch on?

or he could use a hydraulic power pack. which is a 12v motor and pump, and can be mounted almost anywere.

cheers!
Old 02-03-2010, 09:18 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (19)
One of the plow plow manufacturers make a mount that replaces the driver's side accessory bracket and relocated the alternator and puts it above the power steering pump. It is connected to a pulley that goes on the front of the crankshaft and connects via two v-belts. The municipality I plow snow with has one on their F-450 and it is used to power the dump and the plow. Now that I think about it, it may be more-so for the dump and utilized for the plow. It has the clutch like an AC pump so you can turn it on and off. Very nice unit. It's where I got the idea to move my alternator over and mount my York compressor there.

DP-Tuner 80T, 160cc single shots, GTP38R turbo, Ceramic coated IH up-pipes, coolant filter, 6637, DIY exhaust brake, openair CCV, propane, SBC DD all ceramic clutch, ISSPRO EV boost/pyro/HPOP pres./rear end temp, 4" lift, traction bars, 255/70R22.5 tires, York air compressor, 16 flashy lights, 12 strobes, 12 switches on console, 9 switches on the dash, 7 two-way radios, 5 air horns, laptop, siren, 105 gal. in-bed fuel tank, Kennesaw Mountain front bumper

'86 H-D Sportster - 16" apes, custom paint, custom pipes to fishtails, single fire ignition, leather saddle bags on custom brackets, bagger fender, solo seat, home made luggage rack, all LED rear lights

'66 Bronco "Big Little Monster"
BTBBT is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2010, 09:56 AM   #4 (permalink)

I just found I have two pictures of this on my computer here, send me a pm if you want and I can e-mail them to you.

DP-Tuner 80T, 160cc single shots, GTP38R turbo, Ceramic coated IH up-pipes, coolant filter, 6637, DIY exhaust brake, openair CCV, propane, SBC DD all ceramic clutch, ISSPRO EV boost/pyro/HPOP pres./rear end temp, 4" lift, traction bars, 255/70R22.5 tires, York air compressor, 16 flashy lights, 12 strobes, 12 switches on console, 9 switches on the dash, 7 two-way radios, 5 air horns, laptop, siren, 105 gal. in-bed fuel tank, Kennesaw Mountain front bumper

'86 H-D Sportster - 16" apes, custom paint, custom pipes to fishtails, single fire ignition, leather saddle bags on custom brackets, bagger fender, solo seat, home made luggage rack, all LED rear lights

Old 02-03-2010, 08:27 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (44)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BTBBT View Post
I just found I have two pictures of this on my computer here, send me a pm if you want and I can e-mail them to you.
You can upload them to your photo gallery right here on TheDieselStop. Then use the [img] operator to include them in a post.

Be sure the photo is in .jpg format before you upload it. After the photo is in your gallery, then look at it and click on it until you see the max size picture on your screen. Then right-click on the photo and a pop-up will show you something about the photo, including the address (URL) of the photo (not the URL of the computer screen you're looking at). Highlight the URL of the photo and then copy it into the scratchpad (RAM).

Then go to the post editor and paste the URL into the post, surrounded with the [img] operators.

For example, one of the pictures in my gallery has a URL (without the added spaces) of
http : //photos. thedieselstop.com/data/500/medium/12708_1_.jpg

So If I add [img] to one end of that URL and [/img] to the other end, you'll see:

My Sierra Blanca in the sig pic was a great pickup for 11.5 years. I sold it a coupla years ago. I drove a hand-me-down 2003 F-150 SuperCrew 4.6L 2V for a while, but it was unacceptable for towing more than a rowboat. Replacement is a 2012 F-150 EcoBoost SuperCrew Lariat that tows my 5,000-pound TT like a dream.
SmokeyWren is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2010, 08:37 PM   #6 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Yes please upload the pics and post them.....I am interested in your york compressor upgrade.
Late 99 SD PS CC SB 4x4 Lariat. 7.3l TS 6xchip Stock-140hp , Banks 6gun, Full Banks Gauges, 4"SS turbo back exhaust, UMP Intake w/ Donaldson Filter, Auburn posi F&R 3.73, ATS Trans W/ 5Star converter and CoPilot, 18k trans cooler, Dynatrac FreeSpin front hub kit, ITP oil X over, ITP boost regulator, Aero Fuel Tanks Replacement 55 Gallon tank, New timing cover,oil pan,oil cooler, water pump,turbo petastel, reman HPOP, new fuel filter housing, slotted brakes all 4 corners W/ Ceramic pads, Adjustable trac-bar, Front 1.5" level kit only. 226,000 miles 10/1/09 Best mpg 27.3..Norm city 15 mpg hwy 20+

Early 99 CC LB 2WD Manual 6....Stock 228k (11/09) and running strong, only repairs Clutch, water pump, alternator. K&N FIPK since 36k and loving it!

2006 CC LB 4WD Lariat 6.0l 5R110 Stock 178k (12/09) "Dad's" 3 injectors and GP harness(12/09) Dynatrac Ball Joints, New ERG and 2 injectors (6/10)
aekrogh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-03-2010, 11:05 PM   #7 (permalink)

I just uploaded three pics of my York install, tomorrow at work I will upload the pics I have of the hydraulic pump.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:10 AM   #8 (permalink)

Quote:
I just uploaded three pics of my York install,
For those wondering what in heck is a "York", it was the air conditioner compressor used by Ford for numerous years. So you can probably find one in an old Ford in the wrecking yard, or you can buy a new one for an old Ford from an auto parts store.

GM's rotay air conditioner compressors worked much better than the Yorks used by Ford, so Ford eventually went to a rotary AC compressor. I don't know how many years ago that was, but it was several years ago. Probably sometime in the 1980s.

The York compressors were often used to build an air compressor or a hydraulic pump. You must fabricate a mount for it, and hook it up to the engine via a fan belt. Then you have to do the plumbing to make it work as either an air compressor or hydraulic pump.

Here are the three photos BTBBT posted in his gallery yesterday.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:44 AM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jguzman75 View Post
anyway has anyone ever mounted a hydraulic pump to the engine? Do they make one?
The work-truck builders use a PTO-powered hydraulic pump so they can get lots of reliable hydraulic power. They then use the hydraulic power for all sorts of things, including air compressors, generators, lift cylinders, winches, snowplows, etc.

All SuperDuty trucks with stick shift include the "PTO Provision" in the transmission. Automatics will have it only if the optional PTO provision was ordered with the truck, so very few automatics will have it.

If you have the PTO provision, then you can add a PTO. You'll need two things:

1. PTO. The PTO provision is basically just a hole in the side of the tranny where you can install a PTO. Ford doesn't sell the actual PTO. Two primary sources for the aftermarket PTO = Parker's Chelsea division and Muncie.

Chelsea is now owned by Parker.
Chelsea Products Division - Parker

The right Muncie for your truck with automagic tranny is
Muncie Power Products Power Take Offs: FR/FA Series

2. Notice Muncie sells not only the PTO, but also the second thing you need = the hydraulic system that is powered by the PTO, including PTO-powered pump, tanks for hydraulic fluid, and distribution lines for the hydraulic power.

But get out your checkbook. The PTO and hydraulic system installed by a truck upfitter will cost you about $3,000 or more. When building a $60,000 work truck, $3,000 is only 5 percent of the total price. But as a mod to an old truck just to make the snowplow work good, it's a bundle.

Plus if you have an automagic tranny without the PTO provision, your first step is to replace the tranny with one that has the PTO provision. You can buy a Ford rebuilt 4R100 tranny with the PTO provision for around $2,500 from a discount Ford parts dealer, such as Tousley Ford.

Last edited by SmokeyWren; 02-04-2010 at 10:51 AM. Reason: clarify
Old 02-04-2010, 10:30 AM   #10 (permalink)

Ok Smokie, I'm trying this myself. Hopefully, below you will see the two pics I uploaded of the hydraulic pump mounted on the F-450 plow truck.

This is the best pic I have. Notice the alternator is moved over to the left and slightly higher to clear the HPOP res. The entire accessory bracket has been remade. You can also see the double v-belts running down to a tensioner, and then to the crank which you can't see.

and

I was hoping this showed the belts better, but it's rather a pointless and narrow focus picture.

As Smokey said, adding the hydraulic system isn't a cheap option if you aren't building a new truck.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:45 AM   #11 (permalink)

Quote:
Hopefully, below you will see the two pics I uploaded of the hydraulic pump mounted on the F-450 plow truck.
Hey, you're a quick study. Good job.
Old 02-04-2010, 11:27 AM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (7)
Yes, Thanks to you both. Great pics!!
Late 99 SD PS CC SB 4x4 Lariat. 7.3l TS 6xchip Stock-140hp , Banks 6gun, Full Banks Gauges, 4"SS turbo back exhaust, UMP Intake w/ Donaldson Filter, Auburn posi F&R 3.73, ATS Trans W/ 5Star converter and CoPilot, 18k trans cooler, Dynatrac FreeSpin front hub kit, ITP oil X over, ITP boost regulator, Aero Fuel Tanks Replacement 55 Gallon tank, New timing cover,oil pan,oil cooler, water pump,turbo petastel, reman HPOP, new fuel filter housing, slotted brakes all 4 corners W/ Ceramic pads, Adjustable trac-bar, Front 1.5" level kit only. 226,000 miles 10/1/09 Best mpg 27.3..Norm city 15 mpg hwy 20+

Early 99 CC LB 2WD Manual 6....Stock 228k (11/09) and running strong, only repairs Clutch, water pump, alternator. K&N FIPK since 36k and loving it!

2006 CC LB 4WD Lariat 6.0l 5R110 Stock 178k (12/09) "Dad's" 3 injectors and GP harness(12/09) Dynatrac Ball Joints, New ERG and 2 injectors (6/10)
aekrogh is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-05-2010, 11:26 AM   #13 (permalink)

LOL!!! thanks Smokey I just needed the time to take to do it. And actually, it did take me about 3 or 4 posts to get it right. So not all that fast!

Old 02-06-2010, 07:25 AM   #14 (permalink)

Man seeing that air compressor setup there makes me even more determined to do an engine driven air compressor addition to my truck this spring. That hydraulic pump mount gave me some ideas for how to incorporate an AC compressor for an air compressor, while keeping the factory belt routing mostly intact.

I was looking at a rotary compressor, modded with a grease fitting and an 8 rib clutched pulley. Oh why can't spring get here sooner?
brucem is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-06-2010, 10:41 PM   #15 (permalink)

I've seen those rotary compressors, and I used one on my old '87 F-150 after the AC died. It worked well but you had to keep the oil going through it. I ended up locking mine up twice but after dumping a quart of oil through it finally frees up. I'm not sure what the grease fitting would be for. But the use of the serpentine belt sure would have been nice. I do know they make the clutch kits for these Yorks to run a serpentine belt on them. I just didn't want to spend any more money at this point.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.