Lifetime Supporting Member
Join Date: Nov 2003
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Well I did it. I got all my parts and the knuckle seal tool and replaced eveything today. My needle bearings were in good shape, but I had new ones so I put them in anyway.
The hubs work great now. Both my knuckle seale and my axle tube dust seals were in two pieces, with the outer rings just hanging on the axle.
The only thing that pissed me off was the pass side dust seal, after I was finished assembling eveything I noticed the axle side didn't stay pushed onto the axle all the way. I tried to work it back on with a small screwdriver with no luck. It is still sealing as much as the design allows, maybe it will work itself on when I drive it in 4x4. The inboard side just presses up against the axle flange, doesn't really fit inside of anything.
I did the pass side 1st, took me almost 3 hours by the time I figured it all out. The drivers side only took an hour. Driving the knuckle seals out was hard, the drivers side wouldnt push off the axle. By the time I got it off I had it all bent up and full of holes.
Thanks for everyones advice, I am really glad I did it and it cost me under $300 and that includes $75 for the seal tool.
I am glad I bought the tool, it has steps on it to set the seal at the proper height. You really need to smack it hard, I used a small sledge hammer.
Brian, Tucson, Arizona
02 F350 4x4 CREW 7.3 160K, BFG Rugged Terrain 285s, AIS, Isspro pyro, boost & tranny temp pillar pod, Dipricol coolant temp, ELC, Isspro EV-2 Fuel Pressure & HPOP, Dieselsite boots, coolant & tranny filters & 203* Stat, 6.0 Tranny Cooler, ITP pre pump tank mod, Bellowed Up Pipes, Riffraff Frx, netbook mount with AE, GPR LED, Stancor, Red Head steering gear, Battery Tender & 2 Marincos.