gin poles in my stock bed?? - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General

1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-2007 Super Duty. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are not engine-specific.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2006, 03:52 PM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
gin poles in my stock bed??

Hi yall

My first post so I wanted to make sure is was not a "it's broke how do I fix it post" so here it is [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

I would like to put gin poles in my stock long bed.

Has anybody here done this? Any pictures? Diagrams? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img] [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]

I saw one running down the highway the opposite way the other day and that is where the idea came from. It sure would save alot of time not building a flatbed and alot of money in steel.

BTW I will be beefing up the suspension before I do this. They are just to load and unload a trailer in the middle of nowhere once in a while.

STOLEN 1-8-07
1999 F-250 born on date 6/98, 7.3 PSD, 135K, ex-cab 4X4, Tymar mod, muffler delete, key-in-ignition mod, more to come
Serious case of PMS since I found this site
panhandleredneck is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-11-2006, 05:01 PM   #2 (permalink)

Re: gin poles in my stock bed??

What the heck are gin poles? [img]/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/shrug.gif[/img]

http://community.webshots.com/user/FineFord
FINE69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2006, 06:00 PM   #3 (permalink)

I would plate the rear of the bed the same as you would for a heavy goose neck hitch, probably 1/2" plate, bolted directly to the truck frame. If you plan mounting the winch in the front of the bed, I would plate it the same. You can mount the headache rack to the winch floor plate. Put your anchor for the snatch block on the rear plate and it will be easy to let the winch raise and lower the poles for you. I have a set for the F-450 that I mount to the rear stake pockets in my flat bed. I reiforced that area as well as the front floor of the bed. I have not had them on in five years, but they have been very handy in the past. Used a 12,000# electric winch and can handle probably more that I should

Sold '88 F-350 SRW 7.3

Sold 95' F-350 with 135K and 97 with 180,000K

Sold '99 F-450 with 130k Hypermax chip & exhaust

2002 SRW F-350 w/150,000 miles
rrangus is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2006, 06:15 PM   #4 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You hang a large bottle of gin from them and take turns drinking from it, kinda like a keg stand but using a truck and some heavy walled pipe!

Don't see why mounting them to the frame same as a gooseneck wouldn't work like already mentioned.
Old 08-12-2006, 12:35 AM   #5 (permalink)

Redneck, I used to have a set that worked well enough to lift a load so heavy it would lift the font end of the truck off of the ground if the load was too heavy. It was a piece of 3/8 plate bolted to the frame with ubolts, that fit just inside the fender wells with 4" channel running down the sides the full length of the bed. The winch was boxed in with channel in the front. The poles (2" pipe) would lay over on the headache rack when not in use and the tailgate would close. The pivot points were just inside the tailgate on the inside of the channel. I do not have any pictures, hopefully you can get a mental picture.

Pics
techinst is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2006, 12:54 AM   #6 (permalink)

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Picture the boom and winch on a very old wrecker.
Two poles 10-12' long mounted to the frame or reinforced part of the bed. The poles meet at a point on the other end with either a pulley or hook welded to the point. The poles are used like a fulcrum to lift things up, into the bed, or onto a trailer much like an engine hoist is used. The winch either raises or lowers the poles, or the winch cable is run through the pulley to the object being lifted.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:28 AM   #7 (permalink)

Thanks for the input!

One last question: Can (or should) I put the plate or channel on top of the bed and bolt thru it or should I pull the bed and mount it underneath and cut the bed for the pins and such to fit through? I would really like to use the bed mounting holes for this if it is a good idea. These ideas are pretty much what I had in mind, its great having someone else have the same idea. Makes me more confident in the design.

Thanks again.

STOLEN 1-8-07
1999 F-250 born on date 6/98, 7.3 PSD, 135K, ex-cab 4X4, Tymar mod, muffler delete, key-in-ignition mod, more to come
Old 08-12-2006, 10:38 AM   #8 (permalink)

Thanks, I never heard them called gin poles before, but I have seen what you described in beds of trucks before.

http://community.webshots.com/user/FineFord
FINE69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-12-2006, 11:51 AM   #9 (permalink)

IMHO it should be inside the bed of the truck, you could use the same holes that the bed is through but I would use some stronger bolts since the weight of whatever you are lifting will be on these bolts.

Pics
techinst is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-13-2006, 08:25 PM   #10 (permalink)

Maybe that is my problem. What does everybody else call them? If I had that answer then my search would yield better results.

thanks
brad

STOLEN 1-8-07
Old 08-14-2006, 03:10 AM   #11 (permalink)

Consider wether a lift-gate would work for your application. Obviously I adore mine.
- 4" exhaust to the turbo. 4-pillar EGT, TRANS, WATER, BOOST.
- Ford Ambulance APCM/AIC. Severe Duty AIS.
- Code 3 2100 LED Lightbar, Perimiter Strobes, LED-X lights, Electric (firetruck type) warning horn & PA.
- 4 batteries, Xantrex 250A automatic battery combiner/splitter.
- Dual Xantrex Prosine 2.0KW inverters for 110/220v, Laser printer/copier, plasma cutter, welder.
artherd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-14-2006, 09:44 AM   #12 (permalink)

My Photos: (2)

I've seen the gin pole bases (dual ears with holes) bolted onto the rear bed on either side with a backer plate under each base. The gin pole has a tang end with a hole -- you slid the gin pole end into the dual ears base and run a pin through all three. Do this with both gin poles. The top of the gin poles need a connector crown with pulley. The winch is mounted to the truck bed near the cab. Run the winch cable through the pulley, raise the gin poles, and then attached solid tie down bars (also attached to the truck bed with backer plates under the anchor points)to hold the gin poles in place. Obviously, the beauty of the set up is that the gin poles can be disassembled easily and stored elsewhere so you can use the truck bed with only the winch remaining permanently bolted in.

HTH.
Black/05/F350/XLT/CC/LWB/FX4/SRW/3.73/6.0L PSD/ TorqShift/Updated TBC/Upfitter Switches/SEIC Mod/Diesel Site Coolant Filter/Fumoto Valve/ITEC HFCM Drain Plug/Bilstein Shocks/BFG A/T 28565R18/Built September of 2004

Texas Proud.
God Bless our Armed Forces.
Black05 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.