HOW TO MAKE LOW BEAMS STAY ON WITH BRIGHTS!!! help wanted - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General

1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-2007 Super Duty. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are not engine-specific.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2006, 02:27 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
HOW TO MAKE LOW BEAMS STAY ON WITH BRIGHTS!!! help wanted

I know you can buy the wire loom to make your low beams to stay on with your high beams, but im already making a look for my new 06 headlights and since im already dealing with wiring, relays and shiz i wanted to wire them so i could have the low beams stay on.

Can anyone explain what i need to do.

Thankyou
NOSERVICE4YOU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-06-2006, 05:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

My Photos: (17)
Re: HOW TO MAKE LOW BEAMS STAY ON WITH BRIGHTS!!! help wanted

Easiest way is to put a heavy duty wiring harness in to replace the OEM (I got mine from SUVLights.com) and put a diode between the high and low beam terminal in the unused socket.
2002 F350 Lariat CC 4x4 Auto 4.10 DRW, DP-Tuner F5 live tuned stock, quiet, 40dd, 40, 60, 80 tow, 80e and 120r, B&W GN, BrakeSmart, 'pooned tank, tank and pre-pump mods, 2 Dahl 100 filter, regulated return, BTS dual HPOP, AC singles with EDM 34 lpm nozzles, AIS, H2e, Spearco 6.0 IC, Hypermax 3.5" dp--> MBRP 4" 304SS exhaust, BTS tranny, 203 T-stat, Chevron ELC, coolant filter, Oilguard bypass with Schaeffer 9000, WranglerNW 200 amp alternator & Optima group 31 batteries, Nippon-Denso starter, SPA gauges, SteveRacer mods, Hella 80/100W 9007s, Hella Micro DE foglights, 1000FF driving lights, 220W backup lights, Stancor contactor, Michelin XPS Traction tires, X-Springs, Bilstein shox, custom bumpers but otherwise stock. Nov 30 '99 build engine with 16 K miles, Fluidampr, Comp Cam 910 springs, Melling LPOP and ARP headstuds.
haul_n_horses2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2006, 08:01 AM   #3 (permalink)

My Photos: (14)

go get a 12v 30/40amp relay.
86 goes to ground
30 goes to 12v with 30amp inline fuse
85 taps into high beam wire
87 taps into low beam wire
use the wire harness behind passenger headlight. I dont remember the wire colors. there are only three wires. one is ground, one is high and one is low. if you can build this relay, you can figure out which wire is which. you will need a ring terminal for the battery, a ring terminal for ground, four shielded relay terminals (they look like speaker terminals but the plastic covers the whole thing), a waterproof fuse holder, two t-taps and two shielded spade terminals( scotch-locks suck use t-taps). if you want to spend a couple extra dollars buy a relay harness. its nicer and you can do away with the relay terminals. you dont need a diode because a relay is a switch, when its off nothing will pass through it and when its on, you dont care about 12v back feeding (at least not in this application).

2002 F250 Lariat 4x4 Crewcab PSD Shadow Grey/Black
BD X-Monitor, BD Pressure-Loc, SCMT(80),AFE Magnum, 2.5"leveling and 4" block, Bilsteins, Retrax, LineX, Oilguard, MBRP 4" SS, Moto Metal 950 18x9, Toyo A/T 325/60/18, 05 front end w/Harleys, KC 05 light kit w/3 driving lights.
Tallavana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2006, 06:55 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Bobcat698

[ QUOTE ]
I know you can buy the wire loom to make your low beams to stay on with your high beams, but im already making a look for my new 06 headlights and since im already dealing with wiring, relays and shiz i wanted to wire them so i could have the low beams stay on.

Can anyone explain what i need to do.

Thankyou
NOSERVICE4YOU

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't a good idea with the 2005+ headlights! The lenses will melt if you run both filaments for extended periods of time.
TS Performance chips, SCT, Edge Products, AFE, Superchips, Diablo, Autometer & Dipricol Gauges, Turbo Air Guides, MBRP & Magnaflow Exhaust, Aeroturbine, ATS, Hypertech, Steroid & 18K modules, South Bend Clutches & more!
Get STACKED with a 4,5,6, or 7 Inch STACK kit!
Call us for your exhaust pipe needs!
Superior Customer Service, FAST Shipping!

Garrett Shields
OWNER
715-498-0707 Call ANYTIME!
www.PUREDIESELPOWER.com

New Rig: 1998 Dodge 2500 Club Cab 12V Cummins, Black, 600+RWHP
Bobcat698 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-06-2006, 10:18 PM   #5 (permalink)

I dont know how good it works but why not just buy a "Brite Box" from www.dieselsite.com
2000 F-350 Super Cab,Long Box,4x4,7.3L PSD, Bully Dog Chip,6 sp. LEVER ACTION, Camper Pkg.,200k,Lariat, Clearance lights, White on top,Gold on bottom,Gold interior. 285/75/16 BFG's, Dieselsite.com 203* T-stat, alum. T-stat neck and coolant filter kit with Fleetguard WF2077 filter added.
1993 F-250 Reg. Cab 4x4. XLT. 7.3L IDI, E4OD, 4.10 rear, Fleetguard WF2077 coolant filter. Born: 9/92, 163k, Lumbar bench with armrest. White on top, blue in middle, white on bottom. Clearance lights,DeeZee diamond plate running boards to back of cab. True dual exhausts with glasspacks and 4" stainless tips. Pretty well stock except for Pioneer CD player.
rossman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2006, 07:33 AM   #6 (permalink)

a bright box works great and is a quality product. They are $100 or you can biuld your own for $8.

2002 F250 Lariat 4x4 Crewcab PSD Shadow Grey/Black
BD X-Monitor, BD Pressure-Loc, SCMT(80),AFE Magnum, 2.5"leveling and 4" block, Bilsteins, Retrax, LineX, Oilguard, MBRP 4" SS, Moto Metal 950 18x9, Toyo A/T 325/60/18, 05 front end w/Harleys, KC 05 light kit w/3 driving lights.
Tallavana is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2006, 01:51 PM   #7 (permalink)
Lifetime Supporting Member

My Photos: (178)

[ QUOTE ]
Easiest way is to put a heavy duty wiring harness in to replace the OEM (I got mine from SUVLights.com) and put a diode between the high and low beam terminal in the unused socket.

[/ QUOTE ]

Here's a PHOTO of where the diode would go. (Took this pic before I installed my diode). Used an old bulb base and soldered the diode leads to it. I have a non-doide plug (shown in the photo) and one with a diode so I could swap them as desired for hi-low together or separate in about the time it took to make this post.
99.5 F250 PSD Supercab LB 4x4, ZF-6 w/SB Con OFE, 3.73LS, Boost & pyro gauges, Swamps S175/146 injectors, DP 80 HP Econo PCM (classic version), AIS, coolant filter w/"hokum" bracket, regulated return, heated mirror mod, lighted cupholder, Marinco heater plug-in.

Hard or no-start? Check Here
klhansen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-07-2006, 05:09 PM   #8 (permalink)

Man-o-man, I was looking for this info that Tallavana described above just last week! I did many a worthless search. I have a ready made "relay harness" and only needed the directions as to which wire went where. Since reading that the '05+ bulbs will melt the heck out of everything I have changed my mind. I guess a little info late is better than none never.
Gerald
'06 F350 XLT 6.0 Crewcab SRW,FX4,6 spd. manual, Arizona Biege Met. BONE stock except for appearance and convienience add-ons: Westin stainless nerf bars, Brown's welding grillguard, Billet grill, Speedliner spray-in, Protecta bedmat,Fumoto valve,Hide-A-Way gooseneck hitch,amber pinch weld lights, Husky floor liners, C-betr mirrors.

'03 6.0 Excursion 4X4 Limited (Wife's ride)stock 'cept for the Ranchhand bolt-on grillguard, 285/75/16's and Fumoto valve.

SOLD! '94F350,PSD,4x4,CC,straight pipe(I HATE CATS!!!),shimmed,ported snorkle,K&N filter,J.D. coolant eye,amzoil-tranny&trans.case,updated PCM.Pro-Comp 315/75/16A/T's,Pioneer cd player,Brite Box,LuK SMFW-LuK 13 clutch,4" Skyjacker lift.

Married so driver carries NO CASH!!!!!
hotcrazee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 07-09-2006, 12:31 AM   #9 (permalink)

Tallavanna helped me do mine ( high beams and keeping the fog light on with high beams, same relay) and i have yet to melt anything, perhaps i am just lucky.
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.