How to Remove Stock Stereo Head Unit - Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Ford Diesel Forum / Powerstroke Forum
Go Back   Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General

1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General Upgrading or adding OEM or aftermarket equipment to your 1999-2007 Super Duty. Please confine discussion of topics in this forum to those items that are not engine-specific.

TheDieselstop.com is the premier Diesel Truck Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2006, 10:29 AM   #1 (permalink)

My Photos: (0)
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
How to Remove Stock Stereo Head Unit

Dumb question I am sure it has been asked before but can't find it in the search engine. What's the easiest way to pull the stock unit without buying the special tools? Thanks for any help. Mine is a 6 disc in dash changer.
150k miles
Isspro Gauges
Born 11/28/01
NumbNut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2006, 10:45 AM   #2 (permalink)

Re: How to Remove Stock Stereo Head Unit

The "special tool" is just a DIN remover and its like $3.79 at Walmart. People make them out of coat hanger wire and such. But nothing quite as nice as the cheap tool. I suggest you get a set.
2001 F-350 SuperCrewzer, Crew Cab Dualy LB XLT, 7.3L PSD, 4.10 LS, Oxford White w/ Silver lower tone, Med Grey interior, Power 40/20/40, Auto w/ Dacco Super Hauler TC and Magnafine, Towing Pkg w/ Dual Alts, Ford AIC, Prodigy, Gentex Mirror, Cobra 29WXNWST, 5ft Firestik II, X Monitor, Baldwin Coolant Filter, Sony OH Video system, Yakima Racks and basket, 45 gal auxiliary tank and 12V Pump, Towing a 26 Foot Prowler Lite.

http://www.cphilip.com
cphilip is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-11-2006, 10:53 AM   #3 (permalink)

thanks!!!!
150k miles
Isspro Gauges
Born 11/28/01
NumbNut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2006, 02:31 PM   #4 (permalink)

My Photos: (1)

I think you need one of removal tools. You can make one yourself out of a coat hanger, but the tool is a little better. Universal DIN Tool
Hours: Mon-Fri 8:30am-5pm EST
Telephone: 603-497-2281 ------- Taking the Mystery out of Diesel Performance™

PRODUCT LINE: MBRP Exhaust Systems, aFe, S&B Intake Systems, Largest Distributor of ISSPRO EV, EV2, Performax Gauges. Autometer, Superchips, Edge Products, CFM+, AFE, BD, S&B, Mag-Hytec, Stanadyne, and more... - Please call us at 603-497-2281 for technical information or sales questions.
24/7/365 Secure Shopping Cart - OPERATING OUT OF TAX FREE NEW HAMPSHIRE - we never charge any sales tax.
TDS Members - Use Coupon Code "DIESELSTOP" for special savings
DieselManor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-13-2006, 02:48 PM   #5 (permalink)

you can also remove it with 4 small screwdrivers. The trick is to not insert the screwdrivers too far and to push the ends of the screwdrivers outward while pulling the radio towards you.
SPL2K is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2006, 07:17 AM   #6 (permalink)

You can also just "pull" the surround out, look behind the surround at where the Stereo "clips" to the surround, release them manually with a small screwdriver, easier with the removal tool, but not much more difficult if you just pull the surround off. To remove, just pull until the surround releases.
2001 F350 CC Dually, PSD, auto, billet grill, APC Projector Headlights, euroclear corners, 04 lighted/heated TT Mirrors, CD6, DVD system, Sony Speakers, Walker BTM, Isspro 3-gauge, 05 emblems, home made intake

2003 F350 CC Dually, FX4 4X4, auto, 7.3 just getting started...Banks 3-Gauge A-Pod, Banks Big Head, Banks Exhaust Brake, Banks Ottomind, Stinger Exhaust, Jensen Flip-up DVD/Stereo, Sirus receiver, 7" monitors in head rests, Boston speakers in all 4, 2-12" Boston subs, amp.
Silverlt4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com > 1999-2007 Ford Super Duties > 1999-2007 Upgrades and Aftermarket - General

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Diesel Forum - TheDieselStop.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.